Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 Sudden Loss of Power

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickEvams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 Sudden Loss of Power
    Posted: 15 Jan 2017 at 12:51pm
Hi,
My Nissan Primera P12 2.2 dci 2004 has started to lose power and go into limp home mode when I am putting a high load on the engine, i.e. accelerating up a hill.
I have checked the battery earth connections to body and transmission and they are ok. I have also checked the headlamp cover is secure and not blocking the air intake (thanks Timeshock for suggestions)
This morning I went out in the car and sure enough on climbing the first hill - sudden loss of power and limp home. This time I ran OBDII diagnostics with the whilst in limp home and got a Pending DTC flagged:- P1272 Air / Fuel Ratio Sensor 1.
Cycled the ignition and fault was cleared, full power as normal.  Any idea's welcome.
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2017 at 4:53pm
When was the fuel filter last changed?, check all fuel lines for leaks or more importantly splits allowing air in, try hand priming and see if the pump stiffens up.

The revs are not hunting on cold starting at idle are they?
NickEvams View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickEvams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2017 at 7:59pm
Hi Timeshock, thank you for the feedback.

The last time fuel filter was replaced was 2009.

I have tried hand priming and yes the pump stiffens up after one or two presses.

The revs are not hunting at idle when cold or warm but as I run through the rev range there is a small but noticeable vibration at 1500rpm suggesting the engine is not running as smoothly as it should.

Will check the fuel lines for splits when I next get a chance in the light.
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2017 at 10:05pm
OK I think we can rule out SCV then however might be worth a pump relearn routine see link below. I think it would be worth considering changing the fuel filter and certainly check the fuel lines .

NickEvams View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickEvams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 9:01pm
Thanks for the suggestions. Have tried the pump re-learn but the issue is still there.

I can get to and from work by limiting the engine torque. The car runs fine at all rev's/speeds as long as I don't put a high load on the engine. (No accelerating uphill)
If I do load it I can feel the loss of power cutting in. If I release the accelerator immediately it recovers but if I continue with my foot down it locks into no power limp home mode and needs an ignition cycle to recover.

I have ordered a new fuel filter and will fit it at the weekend. Will check the fuel lines for leaks/splits at the same time. 
NickEvams View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickEvams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2017 at 7:01pm
Fuel filter now fitted. Was quite fiddly getting the thing out, especially as the protective cover comes away with it as you unscrew from the bulkhead.

As I was undoing the hoses I noticed a leak of fuel from the short piece that goes from the filter outlet to the engine block. Probably responsible for allowing air into the system when high fuel demand. It is only about 10" long and goes through a 90 deg bend and takes up the movement of the engine. Not surprising it has become chafed after 170k miles and 12 Years.
Replaced the hose with 10mm I/D fuel pipe and finished fitting the new filter.

Hand primed the new filter and pipe, took about 40 presses to fill the empty filter housing.
Engine started first time after 5 second crank and is restored to full power (even accelerating up a steep hill).

Double checked performance on my way to and from work today and no problems. Full power restored with no faltering or limp home. So the fault was the chafed fuel hose but the filter probably needed replacing anyway.
Thank you very much Timeshock for your ongoing help and advice. it's much appreciated.

Hope this thread can help others diagnose similar symptoms.
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2017 at 7:31pm
Pleased you got it sorted and thanks for the feedback much better than a thread just ending and no one knows what happenedThumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply