Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nissan Primera P12 water pump belt jumped on trip
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 water pump belt jumped on trip

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 11:38am
Cracking response BrianThumbs Up
Optimus View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Optimus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by p11primeragt p11primeragt wrote:

You'll have to take off the alt belt also as the one that's jumped come off goes behind that on the crank pulley..

For the alt belt, slacken off the idler pulley halfway up on the block,there's one central nut ect,then almost out a slight is a long 10mm adjusting bolt just to the top of the air con compressor, thats what tensions that belt.Thats all there is to it for that belt.

The pas/water belt is adjusted by undoing the side tensioner bolt (12mm iirc) and the main bolt which is also a 12mm towards the back of the pas pump,but BEFORE you try and do them,loosen the lower pas pump pivot bolt from under the engine/car,if you try and tension the belt without doing this you'll end up bending the tensioner bracket.Thats it for this belt.Dont forget to nip up the main pas pump bolt again once tensioned otherwise the pump will be on a angle due to the belt pulling on it.

I know this as it's the same for a qg15/18de engine which I've had and done in the past.

Thanks for the thorough description. It appears there is some difference between my engine and the ones you mentioned, as my jumped belt is in the trunk :) . It's definitely not going behind the alt belt. I will try in the morning to have a look at the steering pump mounts, if it has the same mounting system as the one you described I guess I'll have to look for a garage as I have no means to safely lift the car so I can start unbolting stuff while sitting on my back under it 
roy.2 View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote roy.2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 12:21am
Get your offside wheels up on a pavement or something similar Adrian.  Thumbs Up
Roy
schwen View Drop Down
NPOC Member
NPOC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote schwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 6:07am
If u are in spain I can write you a text where is all explained to let the mechanics read and understand the problem and your situation.
P10 Army - G20.net MOTM April ´09 - NPOC.co.uk COTM April ´11
Optimus View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Optimus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 9:06am
 Tbh I wouldn't be so cautious if I was in Spain :)

Anyway, I had a close look at the whole thing this morning and in order to do the job properly it seems clear that the servo fluid tank would have to be removed from it's mounts and moved out of the way. Which would open a fresh can of worms in case the pressure hose cracks/gets weakened and so on.
 However, if I use Roy's approach and find a suitable pavement nearby I may be able to safely slide under the car, remove the shield and attempt to drag the belt on the engine pulley. 
 The belt must be really overstretched if it managed to jump off, as the 'lips' on all 3 pulleys involved are really tall and perfectly aligned. Checked both the water pump and the servo pulleys, they spin freely.
Optimus View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Optimus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 9:09am
Err, meant the low pressure hose, the one going to the servo fluid tank. I don't remember ever changing it so it must be 13 years old...
Optimus View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Optimus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 1:57pm
Things don't look too bright: I borrowed a hydraulic jack and a French key (adjustable size) from the guy operating the hotel's transfer minibus and lifted the car in the parking lot. Then removed the shield and without sticking my head too much under the car tried to pull the belt back on the engine pulley. Sadly I wasn't even close to success. I presumed the belt was stretched but apparently that's not the case. Anyway' I checked again both the water pump and the servo pump pulleys for any kind of play, all seems to be OK, they spin nice and don't appear to have any sort of axial movement.
 Just as a last resort thing, does anyone know if this type of engine and gearbox can rotate backwards without sustaining any damage? I MAY be able to slide the belt back on the engine pulley if I can rotate the engine back (putting in 5th and pushing the car back with the gearbox engaged). But I'd try this only if anything else fails...
schwen View Drop Down
NPOC Member
NPOC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 3:02pm
can we ask in wich banana republic are you suffering your holidays?

P10 Army - G20.net MOTM April ´09 - NPOC.co.uk COTM April ´11
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 6:59pm
There's no need to remove the servo or any part on it,yes it's tight to access the tensioner but it's doable.

If you feel the need to though you could lower the engine a few inch by removing the left hand engine mount and the 2 front crossmember bolts,which would make it easier at the back of the engine,but support the engine with the jack on the air con pump bracket or place some wood across the sump with the jack if going this route.
Optimus View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Optimus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 7:01am
Originally posted by schwen schwen wrote:

can we ask in wich banana republic are you suffering your holidays?

Suffering isn't the word that comes to mind, actually the whole thing is quite nice overall. That's until the car has an unexpected problem lol. 
 I managed to had it fixed yesterday for about 50 euros but that was a stroke of dumb luck. After calling the garages which appeared on gps and being quoted insane amounts for towing and so on I noticed that the little transport bus which passes in front of the hotel goes all the way to the autobus central station of the nearby town. Figured out there may be garages in that area so I boarded it and 30 mins later I landed in a part of the city that probably sees a tourist in 20 years. :)). There was an entire street lined up with garages, everything from general automotive to radiator repairs, AC service and so on.
 Spent about 1 hour there going from one crook to another until I found a small garage where the folks actually wanted to make a honest quick buck. The hard part was explaining what the problem was, as they spoke no foreign language whatsoever.
 Thanks again for the support, knowing in advance the bolt size was very helpful.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>