Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > New Members
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

*** No Spark***

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barbara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: *** No Spark***
    Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 9:29am
Hi Everyone, I need some advice please, I have a 1996 Primera and up to now have been so happy with her, then driving down the road she just died, she has new spark plugs ect, on recovery was told it might be distributor, so off to the garage she went, the garage is not 100% sure and said it might be distributor but could not guarintee this. Can anyone help if they have had this problem in the past. Its a lot of money to spend out if this is not the problem.
Thank you. Barbara
barbara
Kensai86 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kensai86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 9:36am
hi barbera and wecome along Smile first which model do you own? http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/topic194.html

and which engine do you have? 
1.6 (called GA16DE)
or
2.0 (called SR20De/DE).

it really does sound like the distributor as this also has the ignition coil inside. does the car start at all now?
if so it could be a worn out distributor cap and rotor arm.
if not it very well could be the distributor unit with the ignition coil.
Sluffer View Drop Down
NPOC Legend Elite
NPOC Legend Elite

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sluffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 9:37am
Welcome to NPOC

Do you know if the immobilizer light is going out when you switch the ignition on? As that could be a problem also.

If that is going out, that will rule out an immobilzer fault, things to check would be the HT leads, distributor cap, and coil pack.
It is much better to have loved and lost a sheep, than it is to have never loved one at all.
barbara View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barbara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 10:11am
Hi thank you for the welcomeSmile
Not to sure, putting the key in the ignition and turning it the lights were all on, and when it tried to wind over the dashboard lights went out as normal
It has new spark plugs HT leads cam belt water pump...the distributor cap was checked by roadside recovery.  Was running fine then just stopped everything died :(

barbara
keith h View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote keith h Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 11:05am
Hi Barbara, reading your post it could be a bad connection on any of the pins in the plug connections on the ignition circuit.
This would involve removing each conn one at a time & cleaning with some contact cleaner.
Did road side recovery get you going ok & then died completely?
Seems as if a sensor or coil somewhere has totally failed.
To cut costs a mobile mechanic may run a diagnostic check for you.
Let us know how you get on, keith h
quicksilver
barbara View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barbara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 11:24am
Hi Keith, the recovery could not get us going again, so took the car home we have the car at a garage at the moment who have run a complete diagnotic check , the recovery cleaned the distributor for us and did a engine compression and that was all fine, in all honesty the engine itself is like new and both the garage and the recovery said Primeras just dont come in they are almost indistructable with ( apart from normal wear and tear ) very little or no problems at all road side recovery and recovery to garage mechanics said they have never been called to a primera before ... I will keep you informed of the out come hopefully she just wanted a break from school runs and shopping so after a bit of TLC and a new distributor will be ready to rock and roll again.. Big smile
Barbara
barbara
philhilluk View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philhilluk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 11:36pm
Hi Barbara

I read your post with interest because it sounds very simular to my problem too, I was just wondering how you got on and if your pride and joy is running again?

Regards
Phil
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 11:50pm
If it a sr20 engine it very likely its the dizzy,i have replace two now on my car,if the engine turing over no plobs and is fuel on the spark plugs,but no spark then it is the dizzy
philhilluk View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philhilluk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 12:14am
Tried that with a replacement from a breakers, still nothing alas :-(
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 12:26am
Coud of be bad to start with,Could also be flooded with trying to start it alot,take the fuel pump out,then crank the motor to get rid of excess fuel,then put the fuse back,crank with foot down on the acc pedal thats what i did and it worked.
 Post Reply Post Reply