Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > NPOC Car Of The Month > 2004 Archive
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

October 2004 - Comedygimp (P11)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Staff
NPOC Staff

COTM Staff

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NPOC_COTM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: October 2004 - Comedygimp (P11)
    Posted: 13 Jun 2007 at 11:12pm

Congratulations to ComedyGimp who finally knocks Shade from the spot and becomes Car of the Month for October 2004.

Another very worthy winner so without further ado, let's go meet the man and his motor!

Congratulations Stu, you must be very pleased that all of your efforts have bagged you the coveted (and long awaited!) Car of the Month award for October?

"Yeah, pretty pleased with it, glad that all I have done with the motor looks good enough to others too like the look of it and not just me (as I am a little biased, lol)"

Lets start by finding out a bit about you! So let's have your name, occupation and some personal information?

"My name is Stuart Andrews; I am 26 and a motor vehicle technician (glorified mechanic) by trade currently working on VW and Audi VIP vehicles and high profile event vehicles. I live in a small market town called Brackley in South Northamptonshire with my partner Claire whom I'm engaged to and we have a little girl called Charlotte who has just turned 9 months old and is getting into literally everything! lol"

Thanks for that Stu, now the car. Is this your first Primera and what made you choose the P11 SRi?

"Dare I say it, but I was originally after a Vauxhall Calibra before getting the Prim, my Cavalier had just about died and I wanted something a bit sportier and newer, something that would last. My mum put 5k my way (nice mum! : SC) to get a good reliable car (had some real dogs in the past) and I was struggling to get the Calibra I wanted. One night my step-dad saw this prim (soon to be mine) on the forecourt of a local Nissan dealer and told me about it, red, fogs, alloys and a boot spoiler, the perfect criteria lol so I went to have a look and fell in love there and then. After a test drive I was hooked and that's how I got it. As for going for an Sri, at the time I wasn't really aware of the GT and seeing the SRi was what it was, I thought it was the sporty model (and to some degree it is one of the sportier models)"

You've certainly transformed it into a stunning looking car can you give us a run down of the exterior modifications please?

"Crumbs, here we go then, GT front and rear bumpers and bonnet grills with front bumper modded to include a large "mouth" with mesh inserted and "nismo" logo applied, VW Golf mk4 sill extensions modded to fit, dark smoke window tints all round, windscreen top strip, various worded graphics, 17" fox 6 alloy wheels on falken 215/40/17 tyres, lowered 40mm on G-max springs, Renault Espace front splitter, Undercar neons and behind front bumper mesh (all green), aftermarket bee-sting aerial, "line" type rear lamp tints and 100w bulbs in headlamps/fogs. Just done GT drilled and grooved front disks and callipers too! Think that?s it!"

That's a cracking list! What is your personal ideal for the car, do you see the car working towards a pictured goal or do you mod as you feel like it with new ideas all the time?

"I have never really thought about a finished project car or what I want it to be finished like I think I do tend to mod as I go obviously being cautious as there is a lot of tat for cars and it can be very easy to go that bit too far and end up with a car looking like some sort of rude boy at McDonalds. I am always on the lookout for something new and original and seeing whether it can be made to fit as we all know there is not an awful lot on the market for prims."

Yep the made to fit mods always feel good! Lets go under the bonnet now, are you running any tweaks under there?

"Pretty modest here but reasonably happy with power increases, GT cams, Hotshot Header, full CAI kit (stainless pipes and filter) decat pipe, powerboost valve (deffo felt a difference contrary to beliefs) and ecotec valve (still unsure of this and bloody annoying noise, looks nice though), Ignition advanced to 17 degrees and always use at least 97 ron juice."

Nice tweaks, I shall leave the ecotek debate for the forum! ICE wise, we know you've been experimenting lately and invested in some new equipment, can we see some pictures and get some information about that please?

"Yep bought some new goodies at JAE this year after hearing Dave Evans and Kev Sheks systems making mine sound like a fart in a paperbag, I decided to change a few bits. Now still run std front door speakers but have Pioneer CD/MP3 front loading headunit, Rockford Fosgate 150w 6x9 shelf speakers (all covered over and stealth shelf like) and my new bits are an 800w 4 channel amp (no big name here though) and a boxed 750w 12" sub all running oxygen free wires and does sound very nice, with my drum and bass going I get some good shaking of the motor and with NERD playing it sounds tops, very happy with my install, even added a neon in the boot for effect, lol"

Good lad, we love ICE!! Now you've recently had an exhaust problem, is that all taken care of now and what fine piece of silver hangs off the back of the motor now?

"Ha ha have had an ongoing exhaust problem really, must have spent at least 200 quid on exhaust paste/putty/bandages to try to get a seal on my Sebring rear box to the main system but it always kept blowing and sounding not at all nice, then about 3 weeks ago was coming off my mums drive, caught the tailpipe and ripped the joint right apart (sounds like a tractor now) so that was a pain in the a**e. Have just bought an Apexi system which should be on this weekend (may even be on when you read this) off everybodys favourite Nissan techie Mick so I think this should end all my troubles and give the car a better finish/sound."

That Apexi is a very nice zorst, we look forward to the pics!! I particularly like the Nissan logo across the bonnet and rear bumper, what gave you the idea for that?

"I managed to get these as a freebie from the Nissan Press Boys at work (they prep all publicity vehicles that you see in mags, on telly and VIPS cruise around in) though they may look a bit OTT but then I thought I want my car to be that little bit more eye-catching. To be honest it was my missus Claire who thought it would look good there and I was a little unsure but when on it did look good and I do get the looks now. I did decide about the one on my rear bumper all on my own though, lol.

A little bit touring car-esq I think."

Yep very BTCC, nice one Stu. I have to ask about your future plans, anything in the pipelines that you can let us in on?

"Well I'm still after my JWT cams that I couldn?t afford in the end on the last group buy, have a better job now so hopefully that won't be long other than that not much planned but as I said earlier, if something comes onto the market that catches my eye then who knows."

Finally, did you aim to prove that it isn't just GTs that can fly and look the business?

"No not really but when I got the SRi and started to say what I was going to do to it a sceptic at work said "Why didn't you just get a GT" and my reply was "My car is going to look better and go faster than a GT" (no offence to GT drivers mind) and in my mind I have achieved some of this (and shut him up) now that the car is more powerful and looks different to a GT (and far different to an SRI) in its std guise. Can't say I have really come up against a GT to "have a go" but who knows what the future holds, at the end of the day I have enjoyed getting my car to where it is and buying a GT would have taken away some of my enjoyment (and learning) in getting the car where it is."

Mahoosive respect to you and your car, congratulations once again to Comedygimp from all at NPOC, now it's over to Stuart for his thank yous and shameless plugs!

"Big thanks to Claire and Charlotte for my constant attention and spending on my car. Thanks to my mum for buying it and my step-dad for finding it. Thanks to my mate Jason and QEK bodyshop for various body mods/spraying. All members of NPOC, JPCR, G20.NET, NORTHANTSJAPCARFORUM and anyone else I missed".

Car of the Month October 2004 - Comedygimp - P11SRi

Written by Stevie-Boy

Post Reply Post Reply