Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > NPOC Car Of The Month > 2006 Archive
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

October 2006 - Supertourer & Taffy (P11's)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Staff
NPOC Staff

COTM Staff

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NPOC_COTM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: October 2006 - Supertourer & Taffy (P11's)
    Posted: 15 Jun 2007 at 2:28am

NPOC are proud to present a Car of the Month first!!

Congratulations go to Supertourer (Mark) and Taffy (Paul) for winning Car of the Month for October 2006.

The brothers have awesome GTs and we decided to honour the guys with a family feature!

Well done guys, how does it feel to win CotM?

Mark: Shocked and chuffed to bits. It?s a great feeling to get the cars featured by the club.

Paul: Its brilliant and the fact that you decided to feature both cars is a very pleasing outcome for all the hard graft that we both put into keeping these cars in A1 condition. Thanks for the vote.

Paul, still fresh from winning the Best Show & Shine Award at JAE this year, I trust your car is still spangly clean?!

Paul: I try to keep the car squeaky clean all the time weather permitting, but it takes a lot of elbow grease to keep it that clean, I take a great deal of pleasure out of the hours spent polishing the car and to have people admire it is a bonus.

Before we move onto the cars, can you tell us a bit about yourselves?

Mark: I am 44 years old, married to Jane, with two kids John 15 and Laura 12. I drive bin lorries for a living, enjoy most things car related, taking John R C car racing and keeping fit.

Paul: I am 42, married to Debbie with one child, Sophie who is ten and I work as an Ambulance Driver for The Yorkshire Ambulance Service. I love all things to do with cars and motor sport and try to get to car shows, meets and races when I can. I enjoy walking, DIY, and many different sports as well as listening to music, Paul Weller being my favourite singer/songwriter this comes from being a mod in my youth.

Okay I must start by asking, which GT came first and what's the story behind how you came to buy your respective GTs?!

Mark: Mine came first. I had always wanted a GT and wanted to treat myself for my 40th birthday but had to wait until I was 41. I was off work and in WH Smiths with Jane flicking through Auto Trader when I saw the car, phoned the guy up and went straight to see it and left a deposit. The car was on my drive the next day!

Paul: Yep, Mark got his GT first. He always fancied one after watching them in the early days of touring cars and after I saw his I was hooked too. It took a while to find mine as I wanted a saloon not the more common hatchback, so out came the free adds, auto trader, and internet and the search was on. I looked at a few but none took my fancy until I saw this one in Manchester, it was mucky inside and out totally uncared for in standard form with a full service history and low miles. Through the grime I could see the car was basically good so I bought it and set about bringing it to the standard of car you see now.

How did you come to find NPOC?

Mark: A guy called Mick pulled up in his Mystic saloon while I was washing the car, we got talking and he said he had been to a meet at Rother Valley, gave me a club sticker and told me to go on the site. I have been a member ever since.

Paul: Mark told me about the web site.

Have you modified cars before or is this your first journey?

Mark: Yes, I started in 78 with my first car, a Mini followed by three more, three Sunny?s, a Bluebird Turbo, a P10 SLX saloon and then my GT.

Paul: My modding started with a scooter when I left School, first full of chrome and mirrors, then chopped and increased BHP. I passed my driving test in 1990 and I have had many cars all getting modified. It usually starts with wheels, suspension, exhaust and so on. Here is a list for you, Chevette, XR2, Orion Ghia, Nissan Sunny, Sunny ZX coupe, Citreon AX GT, Bluebird Turbo, Sunny SR hatchback, Primera Si hatchback, and of course the Primera GT.

Good time to ask you guys to list your modifications and tell us what modification is your favourite?

Mark: Lowered 40mm on H&R springs and Koni shocks, 17inch Dare X1 wheels, Seat Leon splitter, clear repeaters and rears, K&N 57i, SS Autochrome Header, Powerflow back box, Black Diamond drilled and grooved front discs, seat centre and door card retrim in black cloth with GT logo, Ripspeed pedals, tax disc holder, gear knob and cig lighter.

Paul: Powerflow cat back stainless system with a 4" burnt tip tailpipe, Ripspeed universal air filter, polished strut brace, 17?MAK 10 spoke alloys with 215/40 Nankang tyres, -40mm H&R Springs, Brake Callipers painted black, 5mm spacers, Clear rear indicators and side repeaters, Cut and meshed front bumper with Seat Cupra splitter, painted light brows, Momo leather and alloy gear knob, Ripspeed alloy pedals, Nismo seatbelt pads, Seat centres and door cards re-trimmed in grey cloth with dark grey GT logo, In-car DVD with removable 7" screen, 6" sun strip fitted to the inside of the windscreen. My favourite mod is the interior it really sets the car off, for a little money it has transformed the car and let?s face it the standard interior is a bit naff.

Is there a mod on your brothers car that you'd like to make to your own?

Mark: I think that it would be the light brows, but the kids want the DVD player.

Paul: No, not really we both have our similar tastes and always discuss mods with each other before we spend any money on doing it and we don't always agree.

Any mods in the pipeline you'd like to share with us?!

Mark: I'd like the car to sit lower so will be looking at getting some springs made up, then next year I'll be after some more BHP.

Paul: I would like to get the car lower without compromising the ride and maybe a carbon bonnet.

If your numbers came up, what mod would you most like to make?

Mark: I'd get a white GT saloon and go for the BTCC look minus the graphics.

Paul: Turbo and airbag suspension.

Is there much competition between you both and your cars, if one does something will the other try to out do?!

Mark: No, it's the opposite. We help each other with the cars, discuss ideas for mods etc as well as maintaining them. As you can see we have similar tastes and the cars get plenty of looks, especially when we are out together.

Paul: No I don't think so, if I try a mod first for e.g., the interior and Mark likes it he will get it done and visa versa. That's how it seems to work for us and if we can do the work ourselves we do.

Congratulations once again for winning the Car of the Month award, it is a real treat to see two fabulous GTs in the same family! Please give your shouts and thanks to anyone you wish:

Mark: I'd like to spank all the people who didn't vote for my car at JAE [just kidding]!! Thanks to Jane for putting up with all the two minute jobs I do on the car which usually take two hours, Paul for his help and also the guys on NPOC, there is a wealth of info in this club. Cheers!

Paul: Thanks to all the members for the votes at JAE and for the honour of Car of the Month. Big thanks to my brother Mark for all the hours we spent looking for cars and all the hours we spend working on them now.

Car of the Month October 2006 - Supertourer - P11 GT & Taffy - P11GT

Written by Stevie-Boy

Post Reply Post Reply