Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > New Members
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

P12 1.8 no spark

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digitally twisted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: P12 1.8 no spark
    Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 7:58am
Hey guys so primera 1.8 a few months ago after stopping at garage on way to work she wouldn't start again, so I gave it a kick and ten minutes later it started again it did this again to the wife about a month ago, well last week the wife came home complaining the car had no acceleration and was struggling to start, now she won't start at all, as far as I can tell there's no spark, before I get the garage out to plug the computer in is there anything I can check myself any daft fuses anywhere?
Cheers nathan
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 5:40pm
Hi and welcome to the forumHandshake
I take it the car is turning over? Have you checked for a spark?
hve you checked if the engine management light is flashing or the red Man (Nats) light is on?

If none of the above 

Check the battery earth leads to the chassis and transmission, making sure the are not broken and have good connection

p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 5:58pm
Sounds very much like the cam chain i'am afraid.
Digitally twisted View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digitally twisted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 8:01am
Hi cheers for the reply
Engine is turning over I've had a plug out and there's no spark, nats is fine no light, engine management light is on, I'll check all the earth straps, there has been no noise from the timing chain she's got 80k on the clock, just wondered if it could be a fuse somewhere
Cheers nathan
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 8:04am
Brian might be right with the 1.8, now you have said the engine management light is on let's get that read, follow the link, read the code and come back here

http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/p12-all-engines-read-reset-ecu-fuel-pump_topic54932.html

when you do it correctly just count the flashes of the light it will give a repeating sequence of four digits, 10 flashes representing zero

NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digitally twisted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 8:36am
0335 crankshaft position sensor, that'll explain that then lol thanks for the help guys, I dearly love my primera so I'm glad it's nothing major, now said sensor am I right in thinking its near the starter motor? Or did I watch the wrong utube video lol
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 9:17am
OK, what that fault code is telling you is that there is a mismatch in readings between the crankshaft position sensor and the Camshaft position sensor. This can be caused by a wiring connection fault on either of those sensors, it could be a fault on either of those sensors, or the worse case scenario that the readings are correct and you have a stretched timing chain. 

I recommend you download the free electronic service manual following the link below

http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/nissan-primera-factory-service-manuals_topic29493.html

NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digitally twisted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 9:21am
Scrap that last comment timing chain is stretched, garage wants 350 to sort it and that'll not be happening lol
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digitally twisted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 10:59am
yeah took rocker and timing cover off and I can see the tensioner is out a good 10/12mm, so now im looking at maybe doing the chain myself, i cant justify spending 350 on a car that cost me 600, so ill give it a bash myself i think Confused
roy.2 View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy.2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 9:16pm
Bravo to you Nathan.  Handshake    Let us know how you get on.  Thumbs Up
Roy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>