Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > New Members
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

P12 2.2 Dci whooshing noise

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babygodzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: P12 2.2 Dci whooshing noise
    Posted: 18 Feb 2016 at 6:28pm
We have a 54 plate P12 2.2 Dci estate,138000 miles,owned 6/7 years and has been a reliable workhorse covering 60K plus miles.
My wife noticed a whooshing noise and I decided to investigate.Car drives fine but noticed black smoke on revving/acceleration,possibly turbo showing early signs of failure??I took the turbo pipe work and housing off,attempted complete removal,managed to get egr pipe off,exhaust manifold partly off,but stud/bolt at back of manifold where it attaches to turbo very hard to get at.I had to heat bolts to remove them and already spent a few afternoons trying to remove,emptied coolant,drained engine oil (with difficulty as oil was cold) but realised inside of turbo had no play,it span fine so bearing must be ok??Best bet was the oil had gotten dirty,black,sludgy,so new oil and filter may help (6000 miles since last oil change anyway).
Last year or two car has experienced going into "limp home mode" if revved too hard over 3000/3500 rpm but after pulling over and restarting seemed fine again,also when cold runs uneven,"hunting" at low rpm,better when warm.
Conclusion now was suction control valve playing up,not the turbo.Bought a new Denso valve and managed to replace in an afternoon,you have to remove windscreen wipers (used a gear puller) and the motor,plastic bits,metal shield etc to even see the SCV.Its hard to get at on the Dci,offside of engine at back under oil pipes/fuel pipes and electric cable but not impossible.I had to get up and kneel in the engine bay with allen key to make the swap.I had left battery disconnected for over 90 mins during this time so thought it would just fire up and run ok (this forum has quotes of 90 mins plus as long enough for ECU to reset when disconnected from battery and no need to do reset procedure for fuel pump),failed to start repeatedly.
Tried the Fuel pump reset procedure,complicated sequence of waiting several seconds,"on and off" accelerator pedal etc,tried a few attempts with nothing happening,the key was to get EML flashing,this means ECU in learning mode,but still no luck,car would not start.Managed to get EML flashing a third time and car started,ran for a few secs and died.Blown 140A relay,battery relay in small fuse box left of battery.
Nissan do not stock these relays,they wanted me to wait 3 weeks and charge £19!Found relay offered on a well known auction website for £1.70 each,£2.45 with delivery so now waiting for new relay (ordered two just in case).
Car alarm works,sat nav screen ok,radio ok but ignition,dash and central locking not working with blown relay.
Any ideas whats going on????Why would the relay blow???
I thought I may as well change fuel filter while I have access to it,under £9 from my local GSF parts supplier,I will fit filter after getting it running.
Imagine main Nissan dealer trying to do all this work,they would charge a fortune to diagnose and get running again and if they blew a 120A battery fuse I would be without a car for almost a month,just not worth the bother for our old banger.
Our car has full Nissan service history up to 90,000,until we had an airbag light on and our local Nissan dealer wanted over £2K to replace all the airbag wiring,sensors etc.
I found out how to reset airbag for nothing!Four/five years on and now rarely ever see airbag light come on after I disabled the passenger electric seat,moving it about or messing with the glove box seemed to trigger airbag warning light problem (glove box permanently locked!!).
I just regularly change oil and filter myself,once per year/every 10,000 miles seems ok.Local garage takes care of brake discs and pads if I haven't the time to do it myself,saved a fortune on main dealer charges.
Am I on the right track?
Any advice welcome

p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2016 at 6:34pm
Whooshing noise could be one of the pipes to the intercooler.If one is off that would lead to black smoke.
Babygodzilla View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babygodzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2016 at 6:41pm
Thanks for the tip but checked pipe work and all seems well,no splits or damage.Maybe whooshing noise was noticed because radio was off and my wife made me worry about it,turbos do make a bit of noise,a few years ago I had a 1995 R33 GTR and 94 Pulsar GTiR and they were very noisey!!
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2016 at 6:46pm
Any oil in the boost pipes or intake? That would be turbo seals issue.

timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2016 at 10:45am
 you seem to be doing well, the noise you describe would suggest a split pipe or loose connection these turbos are not generally noisy. If it is a whirring noise going up and down with velocity then that would suggest turbo bearing failure with the vane rubbing on the casing but you state you have checked that and it is steady as a rock.

Your idleing rev hunting is almost certainly due to the SCV hope the really gets everything up and running again. I think you are doing the right thing with the fuel filter they can cause stalling and black smoke. By the way did you pump the primer prior to re-starting?
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babygodzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 3:23pm
Ah,please tell me where the primer is!
I managed to get it running after a few turns but diesel poured out everywhere.The SCV has a small o ring on the tip and larger o ring,I found the larger o ring was not seated properly.Refitted but found 120A fuse blown.
I have a problem with this fuse blowing,the same 120A in the small fuse box next to the battery.Blown three of these and now on my last one so ordered three more.
Anyway,car running fine,smoother than ever and no hunting for revs but now battery warning light flickering and ABS fault,must be due to low voltage after draining battery to start car.I have put battery on a trickle charge so hopefully ABS fault will go off.I did not change the fuel filter yet because I want to make sure it runs ok with new scv.No sign of smoke while revving on drive so maybe fixed.I will change the fuel filter in the very near future,best to repair/fix one thing at a time and move on to the next after testing or could get in a mess trying to figure out main problem.The whooshing noise is not so loud,bearings fine with no grating/grinding,pipes look ok,very very slight oil residue inside large air pipe from MAF/small oil breather pipe from top of engine,probably never been cleaned touched from new.
I will need to know where primer is before fitting new fuel filter,thanks for the help and advice.
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 3:56pm
It is on the underside of the fuel filter, just a couple of presses should make it good and firmThumbs Up
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babygodzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 5:42pm
Thanks for that info about the pump primer.Went back to the car to start it and the 120A battery main fuse has blown again,dont know why???I am charging the battery on trickle charge and will have to wait for three more 120A fuses I have ordered (two spares this time),I have already blown four of these fuses.Any body have ideas about the 120A fuse blowing all the time?Where should I look first?Many thanks for the help.
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 5:44pm
Water in where it goes?
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babygodzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 6:11pm
:) Problem of the blowing 120a fuse solved!
New fuse fitted,but first wanted to go back over everything I may have touched/knocked,checked the earth strap,I had untightened and retightened it at the very bottom when car was refusing to start easily (due to not priming the pump,air in fuel!).I removed completely,the black plastic at end covered part of the brass female connection,it was also attached to a very pitted rusty bracket and was not perfectly flat/tightened.It was this poor connection (high resistance)that caused large draw on current blowing fuses after trying to start just two/three times.The slow blow fuse could not cope but did its job by blowing,letting me know something wrong.Cleaned and fitted properly,starts and runs fine now,just had to reset the annoying airbag light and just fully charging battery dealt with ABS fault warning message/light,all ok.
Now the black smoke problem,was not the turbo.About 4 or 5 years ago bought a diesel chip box promising better fuel economy and 35% more power.I was very sceptical but for about £50 worth a try because car struggled to do better than 28-30mpg,very poor for a diesel.Amazingly it worked!!!Car would easily do mid 30s mpg around town and on a run we can get 55 mpg or so,our average stays around mid/high 40s mpg (I have a heavy right foot!!)transformation was amazing!!Also we get a healthy increase in performance.Our estate car can fly off the line more like a petrol powered 2.5ltr-3.0ltr saloon,at least 180BHP or so,best £50 ever spent on a car and saved us £££s on fuel bills.
It was the chip box playing up,dumping too much fuel into the system causing the smoke.I had not touched it in years and virtually forgot it was there,slight adjustment has dramatically improved the smoke problem.Slight whooshing noise still there,maybe it was always there???
Hope my saga helps other owners,thanks for all the help and advice,much appreciated
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>