Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > New Members
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Please can anyone help me

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaw1981uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Please can anyone help me
    Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 10:42pm
I have a nissan primera p12 auto 2.0 petrol 2002 model sve

Just recently i have had an issue where the fan would come on pretty quickly and then speed up to the top speed pretty much after that quickly. I have on 2 occasions been sat in mcdonalds drive thru the fan kicked in then the temp gauge goes up nearly to the red and then a warning on centre console saying its overheating. I Started the car tonight after being at my fathers for about 30 mins the temp had not dropped it was still in its normal postion around a 3rd up the gauge so all good after 5 mins of engine running fan kicks in then 5 mins later goes onto higher speed. Temp gauge moved a bit just to about half. I set off from my fathers and hit the a38 doing 60mph for about 5 miles temp gauage still stayed at half. Got back to my place i live sutton in ashfield fans still running like mad still on half temp.

I then gave it some boot and temp seemed to drop back to about a 3rd but fans still on top speed as i could hear them running. Parked up outside my house and fans still running fast.

The point of overheating has happened twice now but no steam etc. I have had to fill the metal topped rad at front twice to brim as advised by garage, The water isnt leaking its going into the expansion tank on the leftand taking it well over the max but  this has happened twice to me where i have to fill it up and empty some from expansion tank then its all good for a couple of weeks and does the same again.

I have had the following checked

Took to a garage they left on ramp and said fans kicked in temp dropped and then fans went off but i cant get it to do that?

Had the engine pressure tested results were fine so not head gasket.

I have bought a new thermostat although not fitted yet a someone said its unlikely?

Anyone that can help me please i love my p12 its done 70k and has regular services i just hope this is something and nothing but any suggestions would help

Had the cap changed no difference also so not rad cap

I hope someone can help me

Thanks

John
Wakey
Grim View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member

r1pp3R

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 10:55pm
could be anything from a blocked rad to blown head gasket ! A pressure test is one thing but I'd have a block test done as well . I'd change the stat simply to rule it out.
Sorry I scraped all those primeras ☹️
jaw1981uk View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaw1981uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 11:10pm
Hi maybe I am saying wrong by pressure test garage had it a day and said it's deffo not a head gasket issue but could not tell me what the issue was. It's also not steaming and also not listing any coolant and oil is clean. So I doubt it is head gasket as I say I am no mechanic but garage said this to me. I will try changing the stat see if that helps but after that will see what happens it's doing my head in now if it does not fix it will just sell it as it's driving me mad. Spent loads getting it right and don't need the head ache lol thanks for your advice really appreciate it.
Wakey
Grim View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member

r1pp3R

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 11:44pm
Well if we assume it's not the head gasket or cylinder head , then it leaves 3 possible causes. Blockage in the rad. Faulty stat or even a faulty water pump ! I've seen impellers become detached from the drive before so they no longer circulate the coolant effectively.
jaw1981uk View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaw1981uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 11:56pm
Ok I appreciate your advice. Are water pumps a big job thank you again john
Wakey
Grim View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member

r1pp3R

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 12:27am
Fiddly and frustrating at times but not too difficult.
Electrolyte View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Electrolyte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 12:48am
Don't know if this still applies or not.
But before the days of expansion tanks the way to check if a water pump was working or not was to remove the rad cap rev the engine and see if the water level rose and dropped within the rad.

If in doubt give it a clout!
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 8:23am
Yeah that still applies ^^
jaw1981uk View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaw1981uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 6:48pm
hi Electrolyte thats a useful tip thanks and also want to say i took for new thermostat fitted today when they stripped down someone had removed the thermostat so that is weird anyway all fitted now and still have the same issue will try water pump test as you suggest and see if that works tomorrow if not  i am not at a loss went up motorway at 70mph for 5 miles today came off motorway and fans were on full blast and temp was about half its doing my head in now lol
Wakey
jaw1981uk View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaw1981uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 7:09pm
does anyone know where i can buy a water pump without waiting 7 days tried all the auto factors

Wakey
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>