Print Page | Close Window

Nissan Primera P12 Screen Console Sat Nav Probs

Printed From: Nissan Primera Owners Club
Category: General Open Forums - NO TRADING!
Forum Name: Nissan Primera Help & Queries
Forum Discription: NON Paying Members Q&A Section
URL: http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12640
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 10:52pm

Topic: Nissan Primera P12 Screen Console Sat Nav Probs
Posted By: popswoo
Subject: Nissan Primera P12 Screen Console Sat Nav Probs
Date Posted: 10 Apr 2008 at 2:23pm
Nissan Primera P12 - Console / Screen / Sat Nav / Camera / Broken / Dead / Blank / No Display. WE HAVE THE FREE FIX HERE!

Hi all.
I have a Nissan Primera SVE  TD  2002 and the screen does not display anything although there appears to be power to the screen when i turn on the ignition ie it changes colour.I dont have climate control - radio - cd dvd phone or any of the switches on the console working except for the switch which operates the windscreen demist and the green light on the switch comes on.
Please help.
Regards
Popswoo

===========================================
** Note from the NPOC Staff Team / Club Owners **

Our members here at NPOC took 10 months working together to find the problems here and yes, collectively they found the fixClap

If you want to see how you can fix it, go straight to page 28 of this thread and read from there onwards.

Or you can go find just 1 page of information where it's covered, on another UK Primera Forum. The owner of that forum, had no input in this thread here and simply waited for the result to be found on NPOC, because him and his forum are thieving, lazy fookers. 10 months of our members working it out, 10 minutes for him to steal the information and put it up in lights on his forum and take credit! 
===========================================

Safety / Disclaimer!!

The content found within this thread has been created by NPOC's members, some of them may be very competent mechanics, some of them may not.

You undertake or follow any of advice in this thread, entirely at your own risk.

The Owners or Staff Team of NPOC will NOT be held responsible, for any damage to either yourself, your vehicle or other road users as a result of you following information gathered from this thread.

If you do not have the tecnical ability, confidence or understanding of what you are doing, DO NOT DO IT!

You undertake or follow any of advice in this thread, entirely at your own risk.

Replies:
Posted By: catalistt
Date Posted: 10 Apr 2008 at 2:26pm
try disconecting and re conecting the battery somtimes it fails to boot up properly and doing this somtimes helps to clear it

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2008 at 2:59pm
Hi.
Tried disconnecting battery still not working.
Thanks for your help it seems strange that only the demister switch works on the console.
Regards

Popswoo

Posted By: renrut
Date Posted: 10 Apr 2008 at 3:14pm
Assuming nothing is working and it's not just the display been switched off in the settings menu, it sounds like a bad connection in the centre console, probably a plug has fallen out, which they do if not put in right in the first place.

If you don't mind getting your hands dirty you could check the connections behind the keypad. You need to lift the centre console out to do this. Not particularly difficult but takes quite a bit of time.

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2008 at 3:36pm
Hi.
Thanks for the info.
Do you mean  remove the complete console or does the keypad come out separately ?
Is there a relay for this console ?
Regards
Popswoo

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2008 at 6:02pm
Hi Renrut.
Went to Halfords to buy a manual But they dont do one for my car.However on the way back my screen and everything on the console stated working but the sound was very crackly so it looks like your diagnosis was spot on for a bad connection.Will check connections tomorrow.
Well done & thank you for your help.
Will keep you informed.
Regards
Popswoo

Posted By: essNchill
Date Posted: 10 Apr 2008 at 10:53pm
Hi Popswoo and a big welcome to the Nissan Primera Owners Club.

I know sod all about the P12 Primera (P10 / P11 owner) sadly but I do know that if you'd used a better description in your thread title, you'll grab the right audience and hopefully the right help.

I have edited your thread title from "primera" to "P12 - Console Screen Probs"Smile

It will help you, so please bear that in mind for furture threads.

Enjoy the forums and take care,
Shaun

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2008 at 8:30am
Theres a set of instructions in the tech section on how to pull apart the centre console (written by yours truly), it's a big scary mass of wires behind there but this simply sounds like one of the connectors to either the back of the keypad or one on the back of the audio unit has come loose. To get into the console you start by pulling out the gearlever surround and things kind of follow from there.

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2008 at 8:55am
Hi Renrut.
Thanks for the info.
I have tried to access the tec forum but get a message access denied.
Regards
Popswoo

Posted By: ralprim
Date Posted: 11 Apr 2008 at 4:05pm
Hi, popswoo! I have practically the same problem with my 2002 P12 and since I am registered user I have posted my request for help in the technical section of the forum - still no info about the possible reason but most probably it is a loose connection as you already discussed above. If there is something new I'll post it here.
Ralie

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2008 at 4:09pm
By the way the p12 service manual is easy to download from emule - I have it but is about 190 MB - not for e-mail.

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2008 at 4:38pm
My how-to on taking out the centre console trim to get to the connectors is here:

http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11986%20 - http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11986

It really does sound like a bad connection to me as both the audio unit and the keypad feed information to the display unit. It's a bus system so if any of them were misbehaving it can cause odd behaviour. The connectors for the audio unit can be got at without removing the gearstick trim but you won't be able to see what you're doing.

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2008 at 7:10pm
Hi Renrut.
Tried to acces your post but access denied.Not sure if I have registered correctly.
Regards
Popswoo

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2008 at 7:13pm
Hi Ralprim.
Joined emule and seached for p12 manual but cant find.
Regards
Popswoo

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2008 at 9:18pm
Ah you're currently registered as non member. To access the other parts of the forum requires a fee. £15 a year I think. It's here for details on membership %20http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=204 - http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=204

But anyway membership issues aside, I'll dig out some pictures that should help you sort your problem. Shouldn't take long...

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2008 at 9:31pm
Ok here is where I think the problem is. This is what the underside of your keypad should look like if the connectors aren't plugged in:

The one I think that has a problem is the white one towards the bottom. And looking at that I've just reminded myself the demister does not have a separate connection but does have separate pins and doesnt share the same bus system as the rest.

To get to this you need to take off the gear stick surround, remove the 2 side trim plastic panels on the side of the foot wells. Then its about 8 screws (you need to move the handbrake surround too) to get the gearstick trim out of the way. From there its 2 more screws down the bottom sides of the centre trim, then a decent tug on the trim and it should unclip. Careful tho as the wires might still be attached and they aren't that long. Then you should be able to see something like that picture and can verify it yourself.

Not sure if that's cleared things up or made it more confusing. I have a couple more pics but don't wanna keep posting them on here as they are a bit mahoosive and don't really add much.

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2008 at 9:46pm
Text containing link to copyrighted material removed.

NPOC do not endorse or encourage copyright theft!

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2008 at 4:45pm
Hi Renrut.
Thank you for the info and photo it was very helpful.
I have taken off the console and the plugs were in correctly and I removed them and sprayed with electrical contact cleaner and replaced the plugs but still have the same problem.I have`nt put panels back on yet.
Before I removed the console I drove about 5 miles an whilst driving everything came on and stayed on until I got home .I switched the engine off and then on again then nothing works except for the demister.
Do I need to put console back on to test it. ie earth ?

Regards

Popswoo

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2008 at 4:49pm
Forgot to mention when everything came on as I was driving the radio was crackling just as if bad connection.

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2008 at 6:02pm
Hi Renrut.
There is a mobile phone system on my car that does`nt work either.Will this affect the console ?

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2008 at 10:01am
Sorry for the slow reply - I had to take the Missus out for the day as it was 4yr anniversary!

Hmmm. So it worked for a short while and then didnt.

Ok it could be the audio unit has a bad connection. The audio unit has a similar white plug on the back top right(if you're looking at the front of it). You can lift the audio unit out by the 4 screws either side of it. You can only see them with the central trim section off. Be very careful lifting it out of it cradle. You should see a load of connections on the back, best check them all while you're there. Don't worry if theres a plug dangling with no where to go, there will be some plugs not connected unless you have every single optional extra on the car. But make sure the ones on the back of the audio unit and nav unit are connected right.

However tell me more about this mobile phone system that doesnt work. When you say doesnt work - is it broken? Or just not got a phone working? The phone connections could play havoc with things as they will be talking to the audio unit, and if they're bad then it could cause all sorts of odd behaviour. However if it's simply not connected then it shouldn't be causing problems.

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2008 at 10:29am
Hi Renrut.
Hope you had a good day out.
I checked the audio plugs yesterday and they seem ok.The phone system is a Nokia advanced car kit CK-7W which has an audio mute facility .There should be a light come on on the phone remote control but this does not work.I am now going to disconnect the phone system and then see if console works.There are aparantly 2 fuses for the phone system which I will also check when I find them.
Regards
Popswoo

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2008 at 10:29am
Where abouts in the UK are you? I'm in the west midlands and could maybe help out if you're not too far away.

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2008 at 10:37am
I am in Marlow Buckinghamshire.A bit too far but thanks anyway.

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2008 at 10:42am
Just to let you know I took the car to Nissan dealer and they said it was the engine management unit that needs replacing and they quoted £2400 + vat .
I just cant afford that sort of cost as I am a pensioner  ( retired mouldmaker)

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2008 at 11:33am
Hi renrut.
I have disconnected the phone system and console not working.
I have no voltage to the phone module jackplug and have traced the wiring to a small white plug to the right hand side of the handbrake next to a large white plug .This is part of the cars wiring loom and I am not able to trace any further as I dont have a wiring diagram.
Do you know which fuse controls this circuit ?

Regards

Popswoo

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2008 at 2:45pm
Firstly I can't believe that its the engine management unit!

Studied the wiring diagrams I have from the service manual (definately worth getting hold of a copy if you can read wiring diagrams!) looks like the accessory relay or fuse might have gone. Although if the fuse had gone it would never work, so I suspect the relay!

I'll just go have a look at mine to find where the ACC relay is!

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2008 at 2:58pm
Sorry my mistake the ACC relay only it's a 10A fuse in position #1 in the fuse box down on the right by the bonnet release lever.

But thats a bit odd as it shouldnt start working again after a fuse has blown. I'll just pull the fuse on mine and see if it gets the same effect.

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2008 at 3:04pm
Right if fuse #1 goes (audio fuse) then it kills the centre console completely (minus demister). The screen doesnt wake up at all. Which doesnt sound like what you have. If you wanna try swapping the fuse in that socket to another 10A one you can try it but I dont think thats it.

One more bit of info - does yours have sat nav or not?

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2008 at 4:18pm
Yes it has satnav

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2008 at 4:36pm
Hi Renrut.
I have solved the phone power problem and now have a light on the remote control button  but there are 3 X 5amp fuses between the small white socket to the right of the handbrake and the phone switch box and only 2 of them are showing 12 volt .I dont know if the other one becomes live when receiving a call.
The loss of 12 volts was caused by a bad spade connection from the + of the battery.
I cant try a phone as I dont have one that fits this unit but will ask my children if they have one I can try.
Regards
Popswoo

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2008 at 4:38pm
Although I have power to the phone I still have nothing to the consule except demist.

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2008 at 4:50pm
Hi Renrut.
10 amp fuse ins OK.
CD drawer opens OK.
DVD drawer does not open and the satnav disc is in there.
Regards
Popswoo

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2008 at 5:28pm
the DVD doesnt work? Did you check the Sat nav unit connections when you checked the audio unit? As I said earlier they all use a common bus system so if one bit stops working it can make the rest behave odd or not at all.

Sorry I'm not being much help - I'm an electronics designer by trade as well so this is very frustrating and slightly embarassing.

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2008 at 5:49pm
Yes checked the dvd connections .Will take out dvd and see if I can remove disk

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2008 at 5:51pm
Power to the keypad should be on pin 6 (3rd one in from the side in the row of 4 pins. You can check you are getting that.

Power to the other devices are:
Satnav Unit pin 2 (battery),3 (battery), 6(ACC on)
Audio Unit pins 2, 3,4 (3 and 4 are backups to keep things like radio settings)
Display Unit pins 2(IGN), 4 (battery), 5 (Battery), 6 (ACC on)

Grounds (as important as power)
Keypad unit pin 1
Satnav Unit pin 1 , 4
Audio Unit curiously doesnt have them, so I'm guessing it relies on the case and/or the shield grounds from the other units.
Display Unit pins 22,24

NB Pin numbering - the pins are numbered from bottom to top, left to right i.e. keypad is
16 14 12        8 6 4 2
15 13 11 10 9 7 5 3 1

They also continue across connectors e.g. pin 27 might be on the second connector to a unit.

From experience electronics rarely go wrong by themselves. It's almost always things like connectors, relays, or damage of some kind (water, shock etc).

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2008 at 5:54pm
If you can't eject the DVD and there is no sign of life from it, I'd check it's getting power first.

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2008 at 10:18am
Hi Ralprim.
Having problem with emule.
The tcp check failed using the setup wizard.
Regards
Popswoo

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2008 at 11:54am

Hi again popswoo. That with the TCP check is not a problem - you will still be able to connect to both eD2K and Kad networks and to download the file - you will only have a 'LowId' but that is not a problem - just click on "Connect" and it should run...

BTW - I still have the same problem - just like yours - my P12 is acting very strange and does the same like yours - I also checked all connections but did not found any problem - hope to find whats cousing it  - with the help of the other guys here...

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2008 at 12:08pm
Hi Ralprim.
Thanks for your help .It started to download & has done 13.66mb then it stopped downloading and says waitng.emule is still connected.

Regards

Popswoo

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2008 at 12:20pm
Hi Ralprim.
Started downloading again . It`s OK now.
Regards
Popswoo

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2008 at 12:29pm
Hi Renrut.
I am suspecting the relay that operates the demister.
When energised the demister works ok.
When de-energised should the relay send power to the rest of the consul ?
ie possible n/c contacts not connecting ?
If so how do I remove the relay it seems very tight.
Is there a clip on the relay ?
I am dowloading the manual at present ,It takes a long time.
Regards

Popswoo

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2008 at 1:04pm
I don't think it'll be the demister relay. It doesnt power the rest of the console, just the demister. The console is powered via several fuses.

I'm not sure what this could be. Obvious things like connectors and fuses are ok. Power and earths are getting to all the devices as it should. Only other thing I can think of is a fault in the display unit, but it would surprise me, modern electronics are very resilient when designed right.

But if it works for a few seconds it should carry on working. Did you get to the bottom of why the DVD wouldnt eject?

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2008 at 4:38pm
Hi Ralprim.
Dowload stopped on 46.39 .
It has`nt moved for about 4 hours.
Regards
Popswoo

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2008 at 7:36pm
Hi Renrut.
Just to update.
All fuses are OK and reading 12 volt.
Phone system indicator light is on but if left on it drains my battery.
The phone manual says it should switch off either when connected to the audio or automaticaly switch off after ignition is switched off.
This may well correct when consule is working.
The cd & dvd players both have 12 volts going into the units on various cables but not sure of which number pins I am having problems downloading the manual but at least I have power to both units.
I have now removed the cd & dvd units and on initial look the cd player has something metalic rattling around inside it when shaken.
I will try to open cd unit and investigate.
Dvd will still not open but will try after doing cd.

Regards

Popswoo

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2008 at 7:41pm
Turned over cd unit and out dropped a brass pin about 1mm dia X 16mm long with a 3mm dia head X 3mm long.
Will try to find out where it came from.

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2008 at 7:52pm
Will the audio work without connecting the dvd

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2008 at 9:26pm
CD player could be rattling because the bit that holds the actual CD sits in a sprung cradle inside the player, and rattling might be that. But if a brass pin dropped out that would be it. As to where it came from I couldnt tell you, not from the car perhaps?. I didnt see any pins when I took mine apart a few weeks back but that doesnt mean there isnt something of that description in there. I'll look over the photos and let you know if I see anything of that description but sounds like something that has been poked through the slot

I am still concerned that your DVD doesnt open even with power.

The audio should still work without the DVD connected, but I havent tried it. I doubt the screen will work though...

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2008 at 11:10pm
Could I just add here, as it's a public section and anybody can access it / read threads etc without being a regiestered user.

The owners of NPOC do NOT endorse the use of ANY P2P programs and or encourage our members to download copyrighted information that is illegal.

That said.. Do carry on at entirely your own risk.

BUT, please do not keep posting in this thread updating us with the progress of your download - This section is about Primeras, not crappy virus ridden emule or other computer based programs.

Many thanks,
Shaun

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2008 at 11:11pm
I have also removed the link from the post on page 2.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2008 at 11:23am
Hi Renrut.
Still have problem with blank console.
I removed the audio fuse 1st fuse top left and the cd eject button still works and the demister button works.but nothing else on the consule dvd  or screen.
I have read in my owners manual that the radio is connected to the immobiliser ,Could this be the problem ? I dont know where the immobiliser is .
I have ordered a workshop manual from ebay and should have it today.
Regards
Popswoo

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2008 at 11:30am
Sat in car and locked it-touched the audio on button and alarm went off ok-pressed key -alarm went off.

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2008 at 11:55am
Originally posted by popswoo popswoo wrote:

Sat in car and locked it-touched the audio on button and alarm went off ok-pressed key -alarm went off.

That will be internal perimetric alarm system, mine does it too. Don't even need to touch anything really, just to moving around inside the car can set it off.

But the question of the alarm is a good one. I'll have a look over the security systems circuits and see whats what. I suspect it may have a connection, but a word of warning - messing with it might end up with Nissan having to recode your alarm if you touch something you shouldnt. And you won't be able to drive the car at all if you need it recoding.

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2008 at 12:15pm
ok.I wont touch alarm & will wait for your search.

Posted By: norbert eggcup
Date Posted: 16 Apr 2008 at 9:12pm
do your dials still work? my car had every thing go blank except rear screen button- nissan checked car and said it was loose connector, i thought they said it was behind clocks rather than radio/dvd area

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2008 at 10:45am
Hi.
Thank you for the info.
Yes my dials do work but only the demister works on the consule.
I have now got a very comprehensive manual which also shows the position of all connecter blocks .
Will investigate when I establish which connector blocks to check.
Regards
Popswoo

Posted By: gaelicstorm7
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2008 at 10:31pm
My P12 (2002 SVE) has just developed exactly the same problem, parked the car up this morning with everything working fine, got in it tonight and when I switched on the ignition the boot-up screen doesn't appear non of the buttons work, sat nav is dead as is the radio, the screen does look to have power to it as it's lit up 'grey' coloured and the little orange lights on the CD and DVD player are lit, I can eject the CD, but not the DVD, heater is on too but I can't seem to turn it off, and I can switch the rear screen heater on and off, I've disconnected and reconnected the battery, and checked all the fuses. HELP !.

Whats really puzzling me is that I can't eject the DVD ?!?

Alan

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2008 at 9:25am
Hi Alan.
I now have an extremely comprehensive workshop manual (1,200 pages) from which I can hopefully trace this fault.
My 2002 SVE has exactly the same symptems as yours and I firmly believe that the problem is a bad connection in the wiring loom plugs as my audio system comes on and off intermitantly as I am driving.
The manual shows a very good shcematic view of all the fuses - plugs for the audio system and also the position they are on the car.
I suggest at this stage that you dont dismantle your consule as I have mine dismantled and will be able to guide you through the checks that need to be done before you look at the consule.
There are 2 fuses which control the audio system.
Fuse number 33   15 amp which is located under the bonnet near to the air filter.
This supplies constant 12 volts to the cd with the ignition switch off.
Fuse number 1     10 amp  located above the gas pedal supplies 12 volts to the cd when the ignition switch is on acc.
Check these 2 fuses first.
I will be updating Renrut with the checks I do.He has been extremely helpful and I am sure we will cure this problem so watch this post.
Regards
Popswoo

Posted By: Katie
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2008 at 9:28am
Can you please put your font to something a bit more plainer as its very hard to read.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2008 at 9:46am
Will do

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2008 at 11:42am
Hi Renrut
!2 volt supply from fuse 33 to cd  terminals 3 & 4 is ok.
12 volt supply from fuse 1 to cd  terminal 2 is ok when ignition switch to acc.
Have used cd case as ground.

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2008 at 12:02pm
Cd player sounds like its as it should be. What about the DVD/Satnav unit?
It's fuse 30 from the Navi diagrams I have.

And as Norbert says the comination meters are also connected to the bus system so thats definately a possibility.

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2008 at 9:53pm
To add further to the mystery when I started my cay this morning the nissan boot up screen came up, sat nav loaded and worked for about 5 minutes, I was able to eject the sat nav dvd and re insert it everything seemed fine then the display suddenly went off, back to square one a dead centre console.

Tonight when I was leaving work it booted up then died after a few minutes again.

I really think it seems like a loose connection.

I think I'm gonna take it to my local garage tomorrow and see what they think it might be.

Alan

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2008 at 11:24am

Exactly the same this morning worked fine for a few minutes then died, decided not to go to the garage, but to strip out the sytem to check for loose connections, took the console out dvd and cd and the screen disconnected everything had a look at all the connections nothing seemed loose or faulty, put it all back together and it's just the same :-(, really puzzled with this now. and the heater blowing all the time is really annoying.

Alan

Posted By: ragt20
Date Posted: 19 Apr 2008 at 2:25pm
hmm interesting you mention the heater blower blowing all the time....wonder if the problems are connected....wouldn't surprise me,....if the blower is blowing all the time getting things hot and tripping out the dvd....

am pretty sure to fix the blower is just a replacement of the resistor card....fix that and it could fix your dvd problem....

-------------
FAO : Laurens, I am not Shaun.
FAO : bavs83, I am not Tan.
VZR-CHECK, VZR-N1-CHECK, P11 VE-CHECK, P12 20V-CHECK, XTRAIL VET-CHECK

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2008 at 2:37pm
Hi Renrut.
Just an update on consule problem.
I have good 12 volts & earth connections to the following units.
Cd - DVD satnav - speedo dials unit - display & combination meter.
All fuses checked out ok.
Still have problem

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2008 at 5:33pm
Hi Renrut.
Apart from the the units already checked there must be a connection which controls all of these units.
The nats connection number 28 (immobiliser ) on the cd unit is one possibility so I will check if power is on this connector when the ignition switch is turned on tomorrow.

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2008 at 5:36pm
Can you look to see if 12 volts should be at pin 28 on cd when ignition or acc is on.

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2008 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by ragt20 ragt20 wrote:

hmm interesting you mention the heater blower blowing all the time....wonder if the problems are connected....wouldn't surprise me,....if the blower is blowing all the time getting things hot and tripping out the dvd....

am pretty sure to fix the blower is just a replacement of the resistor card....fix that and it could fix your dvd problem....

How about if I could stop the heater and see if that solves things, could I do this be pulling fuses ?, any idea which ones I'd need to pull to disable the heater/blower without taking anything else out ?

Alan

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2008 at 6:18pm
hmm you could try that, unfortunately don't know where they would be on a 12, and which ones....

the blower way I see it, you've gotta fix it anyway....so not as if you'd be loosing much if ya fixed it first....there is a post on here somewhere, could be in the how to section as well on how to change the resistor card for the blower...

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2008 at 6:19pm
heres the link to the How to  http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12795 - http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12795   Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2008 at 8:35am
Hi Alan
Although your heating/fan is running this is ok because the system remembers the last settings when you lose the use of the control panel .
As already posted I have power to cd/dvd/dials unit/switch unit & all fuses are ok.
All of these units rely on the ac auto amp which I am going to check today.
The auto amp is located between the fan blower and the fuse box inside the drivers side door.
I will remove the cover to acces this.
Hope this helps & will let you know the results.

Regards

Popswoo

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2008 at 10:12am
Sorry Alan.
Auto amp & fan on passenger side beneath glove compartment.
I was reading the LHD diagrams

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2008 at 8:54pm
Right, was away again this weekend so not had chance to check things

I can't find any reference for what voltage the immobilizer connection should be. It's quite possible its supposed to be a pattern rather than a steady 0V or 12V but I doubt it. It might be worth checking the smart entrance control box. You could check the output of that and if you're getting the same at the other end or just 'buzz out' the cable.

You're right that if it was an actual box of electronics that had died, it wouldnt come back, so it's 99% likely to be some connection has come loose as this gives this sort of behaviour. Just checked the diagrams to see where the smart entrance unit (immoboliser) is - looks to be in the drivers foot well. Best check the immobolizer connection anyway but obviously be very careful as you dont want to break it, actually I'd best check that you can disconnect it without losing the code!

edited because the weekend has clearly left me so tired I'm unable to write sentences

Date Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 5:40pm
update on this problem, my car still has it, and this weekend the speedo started acting weird too, was driving along at a steady 40mph and the sprredo hand started to step around like the secondhand on a watch went all the way around to the 6o'clock position an stuck there ?.

Took it into my local gararge today and they reset the speedo  (wish I knew how they did it it cost me £80 !), and it's working again for now, but the rest of the console is still dead, they had a check into that too but couldn't come up with a solution other than Nissan told them it was the control unit that was dead and dependant on model was anywhere from £500 to a £1000 to replace :-(, really depressed now, can't afford to pay that sort of money out, and if I get rid of the car it will probably be worth zilch with the console dead, so it looks like I'm stuck with using it as it is without heater/satnav and radio and hoping the speedometer doesn't freak out again.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Alan

Date Posted: 29 Apr 2008 at 10:21am
When you say control unit was there any more details about that? It's a bit vague.

Where abouts are you in UK? If you were near me I could have a look, I'm not a mechanic but I am an electronics engineer so I know my way around wiring. Then theres also the easy option of swapping parts until it works as I've got a P12 SVE too

Date Posted: 22 May 2008 at 3:46pm
Hey!

Is there any developement on the problem - please share your progress on solving the problem - I still have the same problem and can not find the reason.
Ralie

Date Posted: 22 May 2008 at 6:51pm
Hi all
I have been away for last few weeks and during this time my consule still only worked intermittently.
It works when the outside temperature is above 16 degrees , ie sunshine, but will not work below 16 degrees , ie mornings & evenings.
This still leads me to believe that it is a bad connection and the heat is making the connection expand & contract when cold.
I now strongly suspect a bad earth connection & will check the connections at the weekend..
If that fails perhaps I will move to a hot country !!!!!!!!!!
Regards
Popswoo

Posted By: timeshock!
Date Posted: 24 May 2008 at 1:35pm
I had my p12 in at the dealers for a free pre end of warranty inspection. I reported a fault where in cold weather the computer can cycle when turning the steering wheel and cds skip, they said it needs a new wiring loom an the steering wheel and this is a known warranty problem.

Posted By: Siamese Duke
Date Posted: 27 May 2008 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by timeshock! timeshock! wrote:

I had my p12 in at the dealers for a free pre end of warranty inspection. I reported a fault where in cold weather the computer can cycle when turning the steering wheel and cds skip, they said it needs a new wiring loom an the steering wheel and this is a known warranty problem.

It is. Mine was one of the first in the country to be diagnosed with the problem, and fitted with the revised harness.

Date Posted: 27 May 2008 at 2:18pm
Hi.
Thank you for the info.
I have contacted Dan Perkins my local dealer and also Nissan customer services and both say there are no recalls for my P12 and no known issues with the wiring.
Can you tell me the dealer who sorted yours out.
Regards
Popswoo

Date Posted: 27 May 2008 at 6:01pm
My dealer is Benfield Nissan Shieldfield Newcastle. They have just been on the phone today ordering the part and making sure mine has cruise control so they order the correct one. (05 plate 2.2dci SVE)

Date Posted: 27 May 2008 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by Siamese Duke Siamese Duke wrote:

It is. Mine was one of the first in the country to be diagnosed with the problem, and fitted with the revised harness.

When was this by the way?

Date Posted: 28 May 2008 at 12:59pm

Let's see. I bought the car new in October 2004, and the problem cropped up that winter, then disappeared when the weather warmed up, then cropped up again the next winter, and a lot of to-ing and fro-ing happened as Nissan refused to believe there was a problem.

Then the dealership triumphantly contacted me, waving a brand new service bulletin. It was fixed some time in spring or early summer 2006. I remember the service manager specifically asking me if my car had cruise control, because apparently cars without CC were unaffected.

Date Posted: 28 May 2008 at 3:29pm
It makes you wonder how much Nissan hold back in telling us about the cars we have bought from them. I have a suspicion almost all the P12 problems that have been reported on here are well known to them but they would never admit to there being a problem as that would be admitting they should do something about it. An 'off the record' chat with them would probably help so much but winning the lottery is more likely.

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2008 at 4:14am
Hi again, everybody!
Is there any development on the console problem - I still have it on my 2003 primera and did not find any way to solve it.

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2008 at 9:40am

Let's see. I bought the car new in October 2004, and the problem cropped up that winter, then disappeared when the weather warmed up, then cropped up again the next winter, and a lot of to-ing and fro-ing happened as Nissan refused to believe there was a problem.

Then the dealership triumphantly contacted me, waving a brand new service bulletin. It was fixed some time in spring or early summer 2006. I remember the service manager specifically asking me if my car had cruise control, because apparently cars without CC were unaffected.

Digging up an old thread that hasnt been resolved yet!

Do either of you have the part code for the section of the wiring loom used to fix this? Or if you know what they changed on it we could work out a fix.

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2008 at 5:12pm
No, sorry. But it's a known issue, and Nissan should be completely up to speed with the problem, as they've devised a fix for it.

Date Posted: 27 Aug 2008 at 9:02pm
Hi again everyone!
I think I found the problem - it is a defect in a module of the power supply inside the DVD unit. This module is located at the back side of the DVD unit on a small plate (long) - it is easy to see it because it is shielded and looks like a small box. I still did not have the time to locate the exact problem but it is in there in that module. I hope I will have more information soon.

Date Posted: 27 Aug 2008 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by ralprim ralprim wrote:

Hi again everyone!
I think I found the problem - it is a defect in a module of the power supply inside the DVD unit. This module is located at the back side of the DVD unit on a small plate (long) - it is easy to see it because it is shielded and looks like a small box. I still did not have the time to locate the exact problem but it is in there in that module. I hope I will have more information soon.

Good to hear you've found the cause

Any chance you could post up a picture of the offending item? I think I know which bit you're on about but as they say a picture tells a thousand words and will help others.

Bit off topic but was it anyone on here that picked up that console, dvd drive and screen going on ebay?

Date Posted: 27 Aug 2008 at 10:18pm
Hi Renrut.
Yes I purchased the consule units from Ebay and will try them out at the weekend.
After reading the latest posts about the dvd drive perhaps I purchased the wrong units but at least it will test if my units are ok.
Will keep you informed.
Very best regards

Date Posted: 28 Aug 2008 at 10:07pm
Hi Renrut!
Next week I am going to dismantle the dvd drive and will take some pictures of the defected plate and especially of the power suply module. The module itself has a small plate inside with a lot of small electronic components on it and the problem could be in one of them or somwhere in the connection tracks. As far as I understood the module produces at its output two diferent voltages - approximately 3 and 5 volts - those are the missing voltages necessary for the proper operation of the multifunction switch (the console) and the display.

Posted By: tonyeley
Date Posted: 03 Nov 2008 at 8:35pm
hi
Just read through all the updates on this forum as I too have the same problem with the centre console not working properly. Found it does work intermittently but not noticed if this is affected by the outside temperature?
Any update to this problem would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2008 at 9:13pm
Hi Alan.
Any progress with your consule problem.
popswoo

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2008 at 9:29pm
Hi Ralprim.
Any progress on your dvd player.
popswoo

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2008 at 9:50pm
Hi Renrut.
Just to update you on the consule problem.
Now the weather is very cold the consule does`nt come on at all even though the heater is still set at 22 degrees & whereas when we had a sunny day it would all work ok at an outside temperature above 16 degrees.
To test this I left the car in my friends factory which is heated at 18 degrees and after about 1 hour it all worked .
This now makes me think that the problem lies outside of the cabin area ??

Regards
popswoo

Posted By: andycox69
Date Posted: 10 Nov 2008 at 12:52pm

Hi all,

I've just read through this thread & it appears this is a common problem, but without a fixed known solution, to date.

I've posted the following message upon various forums across the internet but no cure yet:

A bizarre thing has started to occur with my 2003 SE P12 Primera (no SatNav)

Yesterday morning when I started the car, the screen stayed blank rather than displaying Nissan & then the air con/radio controls. I pressed ALL buttons but the only one that worked was the rear view demister.

Concerned I may be late for work (again!!!!!!!!!) I started driving with no radio & no heater controls. After approx 10 mins, the heater fan started working (seemingly by itself!!!!) slowly building up to full speed! 

So I pressed a few buttons again but nothing. I therefore resorted to good old fashioned brute strength and tapped all around the control & then the tv screen quite hard. Initially this was unsuccessful until the car was fully warmed up. Then, it seemed to work & the controls all lit up & the screen worked!! Thinking it was a one off I forgot about it until the drive home & exactly the same thing happened; with the same way to rectify it.

Now this morning AGAIN it has happened. I'm thinking its a loose connection of some description linked into the cold weather but am thoroughly confused as to why a tap of the tv screen would solve all the controls problem. Surely the unit could/should operate regardless of whether the screen is operational? Equally why does heat affect it? 

I really don't want to take it to my local Nissan dealer (Leicester) as they'll no doubt try to sell me a new unit.

Can anyone help me solve the case of the possessed integrated stereo????

thanks in advance,

Andy

PS - There is a car electronics specialist in Hinckley, Leics that I've used before (to fix the common rear light bad earth problem - £30 cash for both incl parts - BARGAIN!!!) so if I can guide him as to what the actual cause is, I'm sure he'll be able to fix it.

Date Posted: 10 Nov 2008 at 2:46pm
Firstly the console is a bit misleading, the keypad where the buttons are is nothing but a keypad, all the intelligence of the system is done by the 'screen' and audio/satnav units.

LCD displays are known to die over time and this normally first starts occuring at low temperatures, hence once warmed up they work.

However loose connections are also more apparent at low temperatures as the various parts of the connectors shrink away from each other at cold, but expand again once they get warm.

The P12 is known for its dubious (french) electrical reliability so it could be either of the 2 options or possibly something else somewhere in the system giving the same symptoms (likely a damaged wire, earth or otherwise). Either way it has been noted that low temperature seems to be the trigger.

The fact that Popswoo tried a second display and audio unit and this didnt correct the problem suggests wiring. Unless of course that one was knackered too.

Out of curiousity does everything work fine when it is working? And have you tried looking into the built in diagnostics menu on the display when it is working to see if it's logged anything?

ETA - Ralprim - did you get the DVD unit fixed? and did this make any difference?

-------------
Now enjoying wafty effortless power.

Posted By: andycox69
Date Posted: 10 Nov 2008 at 3:45pm
Thanks for the prompt response, renrut.
In answer to your questions:

Everything functions perfectly once up & running.

No, I haven't checked the diagnostics menu - didn't think it would record such 'frivalous' items controlled by the centre console.

I agree regarding the wiring being the probable cause.

I sincerely hope that we get some resolution to this as I've seen approx a dozen such posts across the internet; all without a fix.

Date Posted: 10 Nov 2008 at 3:51pm
The diagnostics menu on the centre console only seems to deal with 'non engine' type faults, CD changers, seatbelt warnings etc. It might have logged something and if so might give more of an indication of where to look. I know it logged a fault when I told it it had a CD changer and it doesnt just to see what would happen.

-------------
Now enjoying wafty effortless power.

Print Page | Close Window