Print Page | Close Window

May 2010 - Mad Maru (P11)

Printed From: Nissan Primera Owners Club
Category: General Open Forums - NO TRADING!
Forum Name: 2010 Archive
Forum Discription: Winners from 2010
URL: http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=40485
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 9:25pm

Topic: May 2010 - Mad Maru (P11)
Posted By: NPOC_COTM
Subject: May 2010 - Mad Maru (P11)
Date Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 7:02am

Congratulations on winning the May 2010 COTM Rich! You and the Boosted Nordic Beast have been on our “to do” list for a long time now - How does it feel winning this exclusive trophy and the Car Of The Month feature?

Well when I got the PM from “essNchill” it was much like the feeling from JAE 2009, I was lost for words and I have to admit I danced a wee jig in my seat. There have been so many worthy winners and I was truly humbled to have gotten the nod.

Before we talk cars, we’d love to find out more about you the owner. Please tell us about yourself and what you get up to, away from the NPOC.

My name is Richard a.k.a. JC#79, Big Dawg and Dredd Mad Maru etc. I’m 32 years old this month (same date as Japfest to be exact). I am a local government worker in London and live with my girlfriend (been told not to use the term partner or I’ll get a slap LOL) Caroline and lil’ Jack Russell, Daisy. My job is not the most glamorous but I have had an integral part in laying the initial foundations of a major regeneration scheme in the heart of central London.

During the summer months I am the starting Defensive Tackle / nose for the 2004 British National Champions, the Farnham Knights (that’s American football for those of you wondering). I have played for the past nine years and have been selected for the all-star and national teams.

I am an avid Tottenham Hotspur supporter and season ticket holder and will be until I draw my last breath, what a result last month - COYS!!!

How did you find the NPOC forums and are we any good? Would you happily recommend the club to other Nissan Primera owners?

As some of the older members will recall, I was initially a member over on G20.net in my attempts to personalise the Nordic but I did eventually work my way back to NPOC as I didn’t get on with the old site and had never really been a forum type of person - But that has all changed thanks to my extended family on here.

I would definitely recommend the club to any owners of these reliable and unsung heroes we call our cars. The love that is shown to all members is just unrivaled, as there always seems to be someone offering to help another member in a selfless way. If you need help or a point of view to do with anything in your life, you have to look no further and it truly is true, when it is said that this club is about its members first and cars second.

June 2010 will see you having clocked up 5 years of membership here at the NPOC, are you gonna still be here for 10?

Just you try and get rid of me! I love the cars, the members, the meets and I’m hoping to have the car and club for many a year or two more, so long live NPOC and all who sail in her so to speak. I’ve been tempted to part with the car during the low times but thus far I have held firm and hopefully I will enjoy both far into the future.

You’re an Elite Member here (our highest level of paying membership), are you getting value for money with that? And please sell us the reason, why everyone should become Elite.

Well I became an Elite Member to give back to the club and help with the running costs etc. As without all of the knowledge and help from this club, I would have spent much more on keeping the car healthy or maybe even gotten rid by now?

I also look at it that I could easily waste £4 each month on things far less important then NPOC, which neither help me or anyone else, so to pay it forward to help other folks as I have been helped, is my way in giving as I am not the most technically minded when it comes to cars but I am learning with every passing day.

What keeps you in the turbo’d Nordic GTLE (GTT)?

Errmn dare I say it’s the lushness of vroooom tisssshh??? No seriously, since I was young I always had it in my mind that I would never part with any car that I owned but instead just rebuild them and keep them in pristine condition. Well lack of funds has meant I have had to part with past cars but now I have such a passion for the Primera I plan to keep enjoying the handling and understated brilliance that is the Nissan Primera. Also I get such nice comments from passers by about the colour of the car and how well it looks despite the age of the car.

And what got you into the Nordic in the 1st place? Had you seen another in this colour and set your mind on it, or did you just stumble across one for sale and think “WOW, I’m having that!”?

Exactly that, I saw the Nordic with cream leather interior in the show room many years ago when my first P11 was in for some bodywork repairs and I told my Mom that I would get one of those one day. She just laughed when she saw the price and told me to start saving but I knew that one day the Nordic would be mine.

Was this your 1st Nissan Primera or did you come from a Nissan Primera background? If this is your 1st Primera, what car did you leave behind to join us?

This is my 2nd of 3 Nissan Primera’s I have owned. The first was an ill fated P11 GX 1.6 which was in ocean blue (Wannabe colour) that I bought when I was 19. It had an awful habit of getting into accidents and costing my young self a fair few bob in insurance excess’. In one spell it was damaged 3 times in the space of a month. Crashed into twice and brake fluid sprayed over it when parked up. In addition to that it had been danced on outside of a student union I was working at. So it had to go and in 2001 the Nordic was mine to be followed by a Kuro black number, I bought and sold to my cousin back in 2005.

I’ve always driven Nissan’s from my first car that I never got to drive but always wanted to but was sold from under me by my Mom - A turquoise Datsun 120Y. I loved that car and it was the first car I ever wanted to rebuild and save forever. From then I had a Datsun / Nissan Cherry and a second generation Sunny hatchback.

You’ve spent a lot of dollar taking the car from standard form to what we see before us today and what an awesome sight it is!! Performance is at the very heart of this car, have you ever been tempted by big body kits or massive spoilers?

I have in the past been tempted by cheap deals for such things but thankfully I have tried to keep the overall styling of the car as it rolled out of the factory, with a few of my own personal touches that I always felt the car should have had from OEM. Had I wanted a Subaru, Audi or a Ferrari (just to name a few) I would have bought one and not tried to turn a Nissan Primera into one.

What’s the current BHP on the car and what’s the end goal, power wise?

The car at the last rolling road was pushing out 298 BHP @ 6k+ running 0.9 bar of boost. The car has been specified to run at 1.2 bar of boost, so once the fine tuning has been done and remapping we are hoping / expecting, roughly between 320 - 350 BHP.

JAE 2009 saw you walk away with a lot of awards but specifically from NPOC and it’s members who voted for you, you won the trophy for “Best Nissan Primera P11” and “Best Nissan Primera On Stand” – I was honoured to shake your hand and present these and for once, you were actually lost for words! So how did that feel?

The weekend was amazing from start to finish and getting those awards were a shock to say the least and I never expected or even dreamt that I would have won one of them, let alone the two.

My mouth was dry and I was shaking slightly and wanted a hole to open up and swallow me! I was lost for words and truly humbled that amongst all of the fine metal that was there on show, that my Nordic GTT had won. Just thinking back to those moments still brings a small tear to my eyes, as it meant the world to me in so many ways. Thank you to all of you guys who made that moment possible for me.

Can you retain these prestigious Club Awards for JAE 2010 and be the 1st back to back winner?

I dare not even think about the possibility of more awards, or even be silly enough to expect or think I stand a chance in winning another award. I am always finding fault with the car and trying to fix and make it better and a credit to this great club. I am sure that the best car on the stand will rightly deserve the honour and I am just glad to have had such an honour bestowed upon me last year.

I can’t hold off anymore here, this will probably be the most impressive list of modifications ever seen in a COTM feature! So please list your full spec and all modifications, inside and out and let’s see what this Nissan Primera is packing:

Where to begin?!?!

Tuning:
SR20DE(T) 2045cc
Fully Rebuilt SR20DE
Pulsar Oil Squirters (Essential for a High Spec DE Conversion)
8 Counter Weight Crank (Very Strong)
Block Machined to over bore
Head skimmed, valves reseated
Wiseco 87mm Forged Pistons
Eagle Rods
Cometic Head Gasket
APR Main Bolts, Head Bolts, Bearing Cap Bolts and Rod Cap Bolts
P10 Sump and Gridle
VE N1 Oil Pump Kit
Garrett GT28RS Turbo (Disco Potato)
Protech 3" Ceramic Coated Manifold
Protech 3" Ceramic Coated Downpipe
Protech 3" Ceramic Coated Turbo Elbow
Forge front mounted Intercooler
Various Stainless Pipe and Silicone Hosing (Viper performance)
Stainless Steel Hose Clamps
Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
MSD 55lb/hr Injectors (570cc)
JWT S3 Cams
NGK Iridium Spark Plugs 7’s
Lightweight Alloy Crank Pulley
XTD Stage 4 Heavy Duty Organic Clutch
BandM Short Shifter
Fidenza Lightened Aluminium Flywheel
Unorthodox Racing lightened pulleys (Ultra Series - crank/water)
CDF Racing lightweight alternator pulley
Z32 MAF
Tomei Z32 MAF Harness
Apexi Air Filter
Greddy Type RS BOV
Magnecor (red) HT leads KV85
2 x 11" Apex Slimline Cooling Fans
Tunertoys Oil Distribution Block
Blitz Oil Temperature Adaptor
D1 Spec Radiator Cap
Exide Maxxima 900 Deep Cycle Battery relocated to the boot
ECU Daughterboard by Horsham Developments Ltd -
http://www.h-dev.co.uk/" rel="nofollow - Nismo Fuel Pressure Regulator (22670-RR580-US) and inline pressure gauge.
Remus (model no. 607097 0501) stainless steel rear silencer with 1 tip 92x78 mm and 2.5" Powerflow cat back exhaust system
Nismo voltage stabilizer and Engine bay earthing kit (blue)

Chassis:
7.5 x 17" Rota Lightweight Range/Rota Boost - Steel Grey alloys (with flush fitting valves) in 215/45/17 Toyo Proxes Tyres T1-R
Energy Suspension Engine Mounts (Crossmember and gear linkage bushes)
CS Rear Shift stabiliser bracket
Big brake conversion (Front brakes): Brembo 4 pot calipers - 306mm grooved Godspeed discs and alloy bell w/ Ferodo DS2000 pads
Tein Super Street Coilovers (-30mm)

Styling:
Bosch HID Conversion kit (H1) 6000k with Ultra bright 1W LED sidelights
JDM Crystal clear Dual headlights w/clear film protection (Lamin-X.co.uk)
HID Conversion kit (H1) 6000k in fog lights
JDM Colour coded electric powered mirrors (with motorised fold in control)
Momo Millenium Steering wheel, Boss kit and D1 Spec Quick Release
Custom Stainless steel fuse box covers x 2
Custom Stainless steel Power Assisted Steering cover
Nissan Maxima Infiniti G20 Hood Lift Damper Kit
Honda Accord Type R fibre glass front bumper splitter, custom moulded
Bosch Aerotwin flat wiper blade upgrade
NPOC Custom vinyl graphics
2 x Rare JDM Nismo Bad Badtz Maru Emblem Badge
Shark aerial w/power boost (fully functional)
Nissan Skyline R34 clear side repeaters
Nissan OEM wind deflectors and light smoke window tints
Central locking controlled auto closing windows mechanism
3rd Rear brake light Primera decal
Rear parking sensors and infra-red rear reversing camera

Interior::
BandM Short Shifter Aluminium gear knob
Richbrook chrome handbrake cover w/gaiter
Nissan "Primera" etched stainless steel door sills
Nissan/Nismo floor mats w/chrome kick panel
Nismo headrest cushions + Custom Nissan Padded seatbelt covers
Primera P11-144 sunglasses holder + Silver coloured air vents
Primera SE chrome interior door handles
Custom chrome speedometer dial surrounds back lit with blue LED's throughout dashboard incl buttons
Momo Match pedal covers (Blue)
Genk auto dimming rear view mirror
Prosport Performance 52mm Oil Pressure Gauge
Prosport Performance 52mm Air Fuel Ratio Gauge
Prosport Performance 52mm Boost Gauge
Prosport Performance 52mm Oil Temperature Gauge
Prosport Performance 52mm Water Temperature Gauge
Greddy Profec Mounted under Centre Console

I.C.E.:
Kenwood KDC-W8027 "Mask" head unit
Kenwood KCA-S210A source selector
Kenwood KCA-IP500 ipod adapter w/ipod mini 4GB
Kenwood KDC-C719MP 10 disc CD changer
Kenwood KAC-7201 2 Channel Amplifier (800 Watts)
JBL JTO 75.4 - 4 Channel Amplifier (520 Watts)
Pro Plus Jade Series componants
2 x 7" sun visor mounted TFT screens w/DVD player incl.
Apple Ipod and HTC Desire w/Tom Tom Sat Nav
Boot mounted digital TV / radio tuner
Boot mounted 12" JBL subwoofer in base tube

What’s the most enjoyable modification you’ve made so far?

They all have been enjoyable but most recently (excluding the turbo’d GTT motor and Tein coilovers) it would be a close call between the front splitter and the auto dimming rear view mirror. Both are functional and again sum me up when it comes to modifications. I love a gadget, always have done but I also love to make something look right and I really wanted to set the front apart from where it had been for many years. Plus I was fed up with rubber scraping over each speed bump along the way. This has now led to my bumper having curves but with an OEM look about it.

If I gave you £500 right now and told you it had to be spent on the car, where would it go?

It would go into getting the engine remapped to reach it’s full potential and the remainder would go towards it’s full respray and other cosmetic enhancements.

God forbid BUT if the Nordic was on fire and you only had time to save just 1 part, what would it be?

Only 1 part then I’d not bother. I’d just open the door and get in and enjoy the fireworks. But seriously I would save it all or damn well die trying!

Now you know I’m your biggest fan here and you probably expected I wouldn’t let this one go LOL.. Moment of truth, the Wolfrace Bushido’s were shite and the Rota’s are where it’s at?

Actually I still own those lovely alloys and I know deep down you want them on your ride or to add to your collection, so I will tidy them up and allow you to rock them on your Nordic! The Bushido’s were meant to be a UK first when I ordered them but good old Pimp My Ride UK wanted them as their scoop, so my order was delayed so they could put them on a Fiat Panda - Oh the injustice of it all!

The Rota’s were the best move I had ever made and I’m just glad that through the club I was able to get the best alloys for my Nordic.

Time for the quick fire question round!

Full fat Coke or Diet?Full fat I got a rope to pull!

P10 or 144? – Err as I’m getting older I would have to say P10

Defence or Offence? – Defense baby! It’s where all the fun begins!!!

Pompey or Southampton? Err depends as at the time of writing we are due to play Pompey in the Semi Final so I guess it would be them as I don’t actually mind them as a team, unlike the Saints that sing our song and had that lazy no ambition LeTiss for all those years, even though he had signed a contract to join us, only to rip it up to stay there!

Torque or BHP? Torque baby as that’s where the power comes from

Morning or Night? Knight time baby

Cats or Dogs?  Dogs, although I don’t know a man who could resist a sweet pussy LOL

Tell us your favourite NPOC car?Not fair as there are so many! Ok I’ll mention a few that have really blown my skirt up so to speak:

The lesser spotted Mystic of “ragt20”.

“Blue”’s Kuro black beast in all of its guises.

“Quaily / Dobbie”’s Kuro black shine monster.

“Angel1”’s Red GT (RIP)

“KevShek”’s Skymera

“Yogi”’s 144

Just to mention a few!

If money was no object and you could build your dream Nissan Primera, what would the finished car be like?

My Nordic GTT with everything like brand new, with not a blemish on it so I could enjoy it for many more miles and years.

You’ve always been a regular at our Club Meets over the years. What’s been your most enjoyable Club Meet so far and why?

The most enjoyable meet has to be JAE 2010, as year on year since my first JAE back in 2005/6 the club has made each one better and better. I always leave each one with the thought that there is no way that it can be topped but year on year we just get better and better.

Why I hear you asking, well plainly put it's because of the NPOC family! You guys and gals are just that to me and to get to catch up with you all and share the weekend talking about and fixing cars is just an awesome event, that I would recommend to all who haven't yet had the privilege. 

Plus seeing all the hard work put into everyone having a great time and it not just being a spotlight directed at the cars alone.

Why should members get out and about to these club meets?

You don’t know what you’re missing! It’s hard to describe, maybe we are all just mad but if this is madness then I’ll gladly be certified. You will never find as good a bunch of strangers that are like more than a part of an extended family, that actually care about you as much as you care and wanna help them.

Can the NPOC Bears (the mighty, kick y0 a55, all conquering, winning Bears w00t, for sure mofos!) make it 3 years in a row and retain their JAE Tug O’ War Trophy?

I am confident that if the Bears can stay healthy, we will have a great chance to 3peat at JAE! Our only competition was from the Cubs and I would like nothing more then to get to an all NPOC final, with the best team winning the trophy for the club - Bears or Cubs it matters not! So Bears and Cubs get to training, we are the hunted this year and we must come out fighting!

Tell Carlos Ghosn why he needs to bring back the Nissan Primera brand:

To make money for Nissan for one, as if they can reproduce an up to date representation of the car from the 1990’s now, then not only will Nissan be a market leader in that sector but we will find many a happy motorist reveling in the up to date bliss, that would be the New Primera!!

Many thanks for telling us all about yourself and your awesome Nordic Nissan Primera P11 GTLE with added boost (or as we often refer to it as GTT) Rich - Congratulations once again for winning Car Of The Month for May 2010, it’s been a long wait (and soooooooo worth it!) but you know we wanted to make sure the project was pretty much done. Time for you to freestyle some words and show some love, for anyone who helped you get this latest trophy in the cabinet.

OK this is in no particular order and I hope I don’t miss anyone out.

Caroline - Her indoors, as she has put up with all the sleepless nights, worry and self obsession that has kept the project on track during the low times.

“essNchill” - For his advice and keen eye on a certain auction site, to save me some pennies and helping to keep NPOC a place we all wanna be.

“ragt20” - For putting up with my constant MSN’ing, my need for advice and always helpful manner that had never led me astray.

“Shade” - For his skills with his tools and generosity, this man is a star!

“Quaily” - For his photography skills and blind obedience, I’ll get the clothing to you in due course.

“Blue” - For all his help, calming words and patience for trying to teach me to take a decent photo.

“Biojoba” - For being mother hen and looking after us, you are truly NPOC mom.

“Nabber” and Big Col - My very good friends and drinking buddies, always at hand to help no matter when or how, two of the best Geordies you will ever meet!!!

“Stevie-Boy” - The man with a plan and a very good friend to boot, even if he is a mackem.

“Gizz” - Another great man from north of the border, how many times this man has helped out is off the chart. Truly a brother from a different mother!

“Ant-Dat” - This man is a miracle worker and truly a genuine friend that always goes the extra mile. Without his input, know how and skill, this car would be half the car it is now. My other brother from a different mother!

Chris Ansell from Diffused Light Photography ( mailto:diffusedlght@aol.com" rel="nofollow - - diffusedlght@aol.com ) – My mate with the camera that has taken the pictures for this feature and many a photo shoot for me in the past.

Thank you all for the help you have given me in getting the car this far and I look forward to completing the project in due course, as this really wouldn’t have been possible without NPOC and I thank you all from the bottom of my heart!

I have entered the “Total Nissan Idol 2010” competition and hope to do the car and the club proud but I do need your help. Please vote for my car by visiting the following link:

http://www.totalcarmagazines.co.uk/idol-nissan-2.htm" rel="nofollow - http://www.totalcarmagazines.co.uk/idol-nissan-2.htm

Congratulations once again to Rich!

May 2010 COTM - JC#79

Written by essNchill

Print Page | Close Window