Print Page | Close Window

Nissan Primera P12 1.8 engine problem / oil loss

Printed From: Nissan Primera Owners Club
Category: General Open Forums - NO TRADING!
Forum Name: Nissan Primera Help & Queries
Forum Discription: NON Paying Members Q&A Section
URL: http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=41063
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 2:19pm

Topic: Nissan Primera P12 1.8 engine problem / oil loss
Posted By: dgart666
Subject: Nissan Primera P12 1.8 engine problem / oil loss
Date Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 9:36pm
Hi i've got a primera 2004 p12 it's only done 60,000 and it's burning oil about a pint a day, i've changed the valve stem oil seals, head gaskit and still no luck i find it hard to believe that the ring's have gone, the car run's great just smokes when rev'ed.
someone told me in the rocker cover there are 2 skins with a mesh in one to stop oil going in to the inlet manifold through a breather.
ANY IDEAS PLEASE HELP
THANKS DAMO

Replies:
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2010 at 4:30pm

forgot to ask anybody changed rings on one and how hard, do you have to take head off or can you drop them down past crank.

thanks

Posted By: Baz007
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2010 at 6:10pm
you can drop them down... You'll need to be very carefull honing the bores though

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2010 at 1:57pm
thanks for the advise why? are they bit tight getting them out

Posted By: SteveB
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2010 at 8:03pm
You would have to have broken rings for that sort of oil consumption.  Has the car ever been over-revved massively by dropping into a much too low gear at speed?  Once is enough.

-------------
1997 2.0 SLX P11

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2010 at 11:17pm
no not that i know put i'm going to take them out monday should there be anything obvious to look for accept for breaks.

Posted By: p12engine
Date Posted: 04 Jul 2010 at 2:49pm
Hello dgart666,

How did you get on with your Primera?

I have exactly the same problem. P12, 1.8, 2004, smoking like a train but runs well.

I haven't investigated yet but I am expecting ring/bore wear when it's opened up.

I am very interested to hear how hard it was to change the rings, were the bores badly scored, did you need to change any pistons, was it successful in the end etc. etc?

If you let me know your phone number I would like to call you to ask your advice, it might be easier this way, rather than trying to type everything out.

Thanks
Brendan

Date Posted: 04 Jul 2010 at 5:52pm
ye no worries my number is mob ............, fixed the problem is was the oil scraper rings at the bottom of the piston pretty straight forward if you a bit about cars, give me a ring if want to know more.
thanks

-------------

Posted By: yogi
Date Posted: 04 Jul 2010 at 5:56pm
Damien, Ive removed your mobile number from your above post as it's not always a good idea to advertise it on a public forum.

Just use your PM button if you want to give your number out it's the safest way Thumbs Up

-------------
Previous:P11-144 Qg18
Current: Nissan Juke Sport

Date Posted: 04 Jul 2010 at 9:49pm
no worries if anyone wants my number for help with there p12 just pm me

Posted By: GMAKRYGIANNIS
Date Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 12:25am
HI
I JUST STARTED TO FACE SAME PROBLEM WITH A NISSAN PRIMERA 1,8 ,53.000 km, STARTED TO LOSING OIL 150ml EVERY 1000 km.WHATS WRONG WITH MY ENGUNE.
PLEASE ADVISE ASAP
GMAKRYGIANNIS

Posted By: tomblyth
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2011 at 8:44am
I have the same problem ! and would like to call you for a word  if you don't mind ./ On mine the cat was blocked when i cleared this I have loads of blue smoke, and one cylinder oils the plug. I thought  valve seals at first but 2l of oil in 150 miles means rings on that cylinder,  and I'd like to ask you about access to pistons.
Cheers Tom

-------------
favorite sites
www.locostbuilders.co.uk

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2011 at 1:08pm
ye no worries i'll pm you my number.

Posted By: FauSuomi
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 4:48am
Originally posted by dgart666 dgart666 wrote:

Hi i've got a primera 2004 p12 it's only done 60,000 and it's burning oil about a pint a day, i've changed the valve stem oil seals, head gaskit and still no luck i find it hard to believe that the ring's have gone, the car run's great just smokes when rev'ed.
someone told me in the rocker cover there are 2 skins with a mesh in one to stop oil going in to the inlet manifold through a breather.
ANY IDEAS PLEASE HELP
THANKS DAMO
Hello everyone, I am having similar issue though mine takes about a litre in a week depending on my usage. Fun part is there is absolutely no smoke or deposits on the exhaust pipe!!

-------------
Fau.

Posted By: tomblyth
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 7:53pm
Mine wasn't high mileage and the bores are knackered...barrel shaped.... reminds me it's been parked at the garden for years , I'll have to scrap it!

-------------
favorite sites
www.locostbuilders.co.uk

Print Page | Close Window