Print Page | Close Window

Nissan Primera P12 Only one of the keys starts it.

Printed From: Nissan Primera Owners Club
Category: General Open Forums - NO TRADING!
Forum Name: Nissan Primera Help & Queries
Forum Discription: NON Paying Members Q&A Section
URL: http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=43282
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 9:12pm

Topic: Nissan Primera P12 Only one of the keys starts it.
Posted By: gdl
Subject: Nissan Primera P12 Only one of the keys starts it.
Date Posted: 31 Aug 2010 at 3:51pm
Hi,

Bought a P12 from auction a little while ago.  It came with only one key, which operates the doors and starts it fine.  The other day an envelope came through the door with another key in it, identical to the first.  Little odd, and not very clever on the auction house's behalf!

Anyways, the second key will open the doors remotely, but it won't start the car.  The key turns in the ignition barrel, all the relevant dash lights come one, but the starter doesn't crank and a key symbol lights up on the dash.

I'm guessing that the immobiliser isn't getting the code from the key for some reason.  Is this easy to fix?  Any ideas?

Cheers, Gaz.

Replies:
Posted By: renrut
Date Posted: 31 Aug 2010 at 3:55pm
Yup will be the immobiliser. Follow the how-to on recoding the second key for P11-144s (6 turns on-off iirc). Just don't lose the first one!

-------------
Now enjoying wafty effortless power.

Date Posted: 31 Aug 2010 at 4:22pm
I found http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/p11-144-reprogram-your-keyfobs_topic10148.html - this in the howtos.  I thought that howto related to the lock and unlock buttons rather than the ECU immobiliser? Or does it do both?  Don't want to get stuck so it won't start!

Posted By: steveduffield
Date Posted: 31 Aug 2010 at 9:11pm
I don't think the keys for the P12 can be programmed in the usual way for the NATS system. The procedure will allow you to programme a key for the locking/unlocking th car but it won't allow you to start the car. Only Nissan can programme the key to do that.

Posted By: vince776
Date Posted: 31 Aug 2010 at 10:47pm

As above, you can't programme the NATS, just the key for opening the doors..........If you split your key in half (stick a screwdriver in the slot under the nissan badge on the key) and check that it has the small chip in the key part. Without this chip your car won't start.

Date Posted: 01 Sep 2010 at 10:19am
Thats what I thought...  Any idea how they managed to get out of sync in the first place?

Posted By: ragt20
Date Posted: 01 Sep 2010 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by gdl gdl wrote:

Thats what I thought...  Any idea how they managed to get out of sync in the first place?

all it needs is the battery to run out, or someone to open the fob and remove battery...

-------------
FAO : Laurens, I am not Shaun.
FAO : bavs83, I am not Tan.
VZR-CHECK, VZR-N1-CHECK, P11 VE-CHECK, P12 20V-CHECK, XTRAIL VET-CHECK

Date Posted: 01 Sep 2010 at 8:47pm
Wow - Nissan thought that one through... every time a key fob runs out of battery, it forgets its settings and has to be reset by Nissan!  Lisence to print money!

Posted By: vince776
Date Posted: 01 Sep 2010 at 10:40pm
No the battery has nothing to do with the NATS just the fob for opening the doors. Its the chip that starts the engine

Print Page | Close Window