Print Page | Close Window

Nissan Primera P12 SE 52 Plate ABS Problem

Printed From: Nissan Primera Owners Club
Category: General Open Forums - NO TRADING!
Forum Name: Nissan Primera Help & Queries
Forum Discription: NON Paying Members Q&A Section
URL: http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=47064
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 1:11pm

Topic: Nissan Primera P12 SE 52 Plate ABS Problem
Posted By: Wulf
Subject: Nissan Primera P12 SE 52 Plate ABS Problem
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 7:48pm
Hi

I have a 52 plate Primera SE (1.8). Problem, at 68mph the ABS fail warning comes in. After a while at  slower speeds or in good old IT fashion, turn it off and turn it back on again the problem resets.
It has been to the garage I purchased it from and they are struggling to find out the cause, suggesting it goes to Nissan for a diagnostic.
I bought a 2 year warranty when I got the car 18 months ago (just as well, I think this was a Friday afternoon job) and I have been told I will have to pay Nissan for the diagnostic (about an hours labour) and if its covered they will fix it
Could anyone please tell me if they have any ideas what is causing this problem as with warranty claims and bits I have had to pay for, me and this car are just about at the end of our friendship (If you know what I mean).

Ta

Wulf.

Replies:
Posted By: timeshock!
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 8:54pm
Sound like a cracked abs ring or dirty sensor

Posted By: JOHNR
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 9:01am
i had the exact same problem on my 52 plate 1.8 s (p12)
 it as a cracked abs ring on one of my cv joints!
to inspect it, jack the car up (make sure you use an axle stand), turn the steering so you can see the cv joint, youll have look at the cv joint from below where it goes into the hub and you will see a ring with teeth. now rotate the wheel and have a close look at the ring.there should be a crack(wider space between one of the teeth compared to the rest) or a tooth missing or chipped.
if there is the easier option is to replace the cv joint (around £30 for part + 1 hour labour £30-40). you can replace the ring only but it is common to split the new ring when you are pressing it onto the cv joint!

Posted By: Briangarage
Date Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 9:42am
Car been in 2 garages since replacing ring and sensor diagnostics picking up on fault at passengers front wheel but neither can find what is causing abs light to stay on

Posted By: roy.2
Date Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 9:57am
Brian. If the ring is not cracked, then it will be the sensor. it could be as simple as giving the whole lot a good clean. Thumbs Up

-------------
Roy

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 10:10am
It's a new sensor replaced it when the light wouldn't go out after replacing the cracked ring 😕

Posted By: roy.2
Date Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 10:24am
It must be faulty then. Ouch  Have you cleared all the fault codes,and are the brakes working OK. ABS working with no problems

-------------
Roy

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 3:25pm
Trying another new sensor later brakes seem fine garage went to for mot are saying still must be a fault but they don't know what they both came to the conclusion that it must be a wire

Posted By: d60_tag
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2017 at 4:36pm
What is the fault code exactly do you know? Open circuit / Short circuit/ Rotor?

As for the wiring fault you say the Garages are thinking maybe the issue- I have heard of similar and it was a fault on the feed to the sensor(wiring). If the feed to the passenger side sensor with the issue has a break or insulation has come away on the feed wire then maybe is throwing the error even though ring and sensor are new...
I guess replacing the sensor with another that is known to be working will prove the Sensors are not at fault.

Sometimes also if only replacing the ring and not the whole CV joint, then the new ring can get cracked when pressing it into the CV joint quite often as JOHNR says above. Poss new one could have got cracked when changing it maybe?

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2017 at 12:44pm
Problem solved at long last wiring broken about 3"from sensor plug .Thank you for all your replies.

Posted By: d60_tag
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2017 at 1:44pm
Good to hear you got there in the end and solved it! Thumbs Up
Yes, the sensor plugs and that area of wiring does look a little vulnerable on my P11 also as they sort of look abit flimsy and are somewhat exposed. Worth inspecting I guess also, as well as the rings on occasions.

Print Page | Close Window