Print Page | Close Window

Printed From: Nissan Primera Owners Club
Category: General Open Forums - NO TRADING!
Forum Name: New Members
Forum Discription: Say hello and introduce yourselves!
URL: http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=53765
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 6:30pm

Topic: New Member
Posted By: davegarner
Subject: New Member
Date Posted: 21 Sep 2011 at 12:29pm
Hello, fellow Primera owners. I bought my first Primera, a 1999T P11 GX 2.0 automatic yesterday in Newark, Notts. After an enjoyable drive of 25 miles to Gainsborough, Lincs, the offside driveshaft snapped, about 4 inches inboard of the outer CV joint. I was doing less than 5mph at the time. I had owned the car for less than one hour. Is this a record? New driveshaft is on its way....just hoping that the automatic box is still in good health. Any comments will be welcome. I'm still pleased with the car as a replacement for my beloved Mercedes 190E, whose cam chain is, I presume, coiled up in a foetal position in the sump. Best wishes to all, DG.

-------------
davegarner

Replies:
Posted By: ernehale
Date Posted: 21 Sep 2011 at 12:52pm
Hello and welcome to the club! Handshake The P11 is rather fond of eating driveshafts from what l read here.
You can get a free factory service manual courtesy of the club which should be of assistance to you. Just look in the FSM sub section at the head of the general section.

That Merc sounds proper poorly didn't know they ate their cam chains, was it rattling before it let go?
All the best

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2011 at 1:09pm
Thankyou for that.  From what I've seen, the break reveals a bright metal snap of about 12mm in the centre of the shaft, which I estimate to be about 25mm diameter. I'm keeping the old shaft, and will post a pic or two of it here.
The Mercedes is sitting on my drive sulking. It gave me no warning that it intended to take its own life...the Green Flag guy was not surprised it had happened, but reckons that it's a 'safe' engine, i.e. the valves will not have been beaten up by the pistons. Car spot on otherwise! Best regards, DG. 

-------------
davegarner

Posted By: doug
Date Posted: 21 Sep 2011 at 1:18pm
hi and welcome to NPOC don't let the driveshaft put you of 

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2011 at 1:32pm
Thankyou for your words of encouragement... thoroughly enjoyed my 25 mile drive before the incident..a quiet, comfortable journey, with everything working as it should. The car's done 113,000 miles, and I'm a 'glass half full' bloke, so am certainly not giving up on it.... again, many thanks for your post. Best regards, DG.

-------------
davegarner

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2011 at 5:47pm
New driveshaft coming from JR Trading of Birmingham...2 year warranty,,,anyone out there have any experience of them? DG.

-------------
davegarner

Posted By: essNchill
Date Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 12:46am
Hi Dave and a big welcome to NPOCWave

Don't let the driveshaft put you off, we have a saying in here that you're not really a true Primera owner until you have snapped oneLOL Sadly it was a poor design trait by Nissan to stick a rubber counter balancing weight on the shaft, that allows a water trap underneath and this will corrode the shaft.

If it helps with the pain.. I have owned 3 Primeras since 1999 and have snapped a driveshaft in the first 2, my current Primera (Pink P11) is an auto like yours and so far no snappy, although I've most likely just jinxed that one LOL!

Anyways, enjoy the forums and take care,
Shaun

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 6:04am
Thankyou, Shaun, for your encouraging comments. Pretty in Pink, eh? Psychedelic Furze! Best regards, DG.

-------------
davegarner

Posted By: roy.2
Date Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 6:46am
Hi Dave.Welcome to NPOC.   If you ever need help/spares/etc we are not too far from you. [8 mile east of Sleaford]

-------------
Roy

Posted By: essNchill
Date Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 6:59am
Slap for Roy (only a gentle one however cos I Heart you)!

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 7:02am
What have I done wrong?

-------------
Roy

Posted By: Taz Taylor
Date Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 7:24am
Welcome along Dave,

I'm saying this with crossed everything, but considering the amount of prims i've had, coupled with my sometimes enthusiastic pull-away's, I must be a very lucky chap having never snapped a drive shaft. Once its done you'll soon see what a gem the prim's are.

Plus, like Roy said, you're in safe hands up there, with Roy being a short distance away. 

Hope you enjoy the forums as much as we all do.

Regards, Lee

P.S. We missed you at JAE Roy! ACE?

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 7:30am
Hi Lee yes most defo ACE.Was sick as a parrot to miss JAE,went to Spain with the lads,last year it was two different wekends.O well

-------------
Roy

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 10:29am
Thanks for that, Roy. Best regards, DG.

-------------
davegarner

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 12:02pm
New driveshaft (£49.98 inc. P&P, 2yr warranty) arrived this morning from J&R Trading, Birmingham, and is, as I write, being fitted by my excellent local garage, High St. Garage, Corringham, Lincs.  I'm still hoping that the snappage hasn't had a detrimental effect on the automatic gearbox....WATCH THIS SPACE! Best regards to all, DG.

-------------
davegarner

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 3:58pm
New O/S driveshaft fitted and working! Thanks to J&R Trading of Birmingham and Matt of High St. Garage, Corringham for getting this P11 GX hatchback up and running again....auto gearbox perfect. Total cost of parts and repair (inc VAT) came to £104.88, so I'm well chuffed. Let's go! Best regards, DG.

-------------
davegarner

Posted By: doug
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 4:09pm
glad to hear it is sorted, now you can enjoy the car 

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 4:41pm
Thankyou, Doug. I had a pootle round in it after the repair....it's slick. Matt Mechanic has advised upper suspension arms, discs and pads all round, and perhaps new handbrake cables, if there's not enough adjustment left.  I'm going to perservere with it, though. I've retained the old driveshaft...it was always destined to break..it looks like it was made from melted down Newcastle Brown bottle tops, and probably was. Shame on you, Nissan. Best wishes, owd lad, DG.

-------------
davegarner

Print Page | Close Window