Print Page | Close Window

April 2012 - Sluffer (P10)

Printed From: Nissan Primera Owners Club
Category: General Open Forums - NO TRADING!
Forum Name: 2012 Archive
Forum Discription: Winners from 2012
URL: http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=58903
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 8:20pm

Topic: April 2012 - Sluffer (P10)
Posted By: NPOC_COTM
Subject: April 2012 - Sluffer (P10)
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 3:05am

Congratulations on winning April 2012 COTM Gary! A super rare Nissan Primera P10 eZX Saloon! She may be an old girl but she’s a cracker! How does it feel bagging this exclusive award and the awesome COTM trophy as well?

When I was notified that I’d won it, I was speechless and I’m not the most talkative person as it is.

Once I’d got over the shock, I had a big beaming smile, in fact I still have it now. I am so happy and proud to have won this accolade - It’s actually really difficult to put into words how excited I am. When I found out, I actually went out and told my sexy baby, gave her a stroke and a kiss just above the drivers door.

To win this award once was a special moment in my life, to win it twice is something spectacular.

Oooooh and another two times winner of COTM as well! Your 1st win was in March 2005 with your previous P10 eGT, does it feel any different second time around?

Very much so, I was taken aback when I won it in 2005, and I was happy as happy can be but this time round it just feels so different.

The realization that I have become part of an exclusive “two time winners club” of this coveted award adds that extra bit of oomph to it.

If the truth be told I don’t think I was truly happy with how the old eGT looked at the time of winning COTM in 2005, she looked much better later on in life, this time though, I’m loving how my baby looks, I know looks aren’t everything, but they do go a long way!

Before we talk cars, modifications and mechanics, we’d love to find out about you the owner. Any big life changes or anything since we read your original feature in 2005? Please tell us about yourself and what you get up to, away from the NPOC.

Back in 2005 I had a wonderful lady in my life Zoe, we were engaged, and buying stuff for the future together but by July of that year it all ended and it’s taken a long time to come to terms with that. 

I’ve moved house twice since then and currently living in a very nice spacious bungalow out in the countryside where it’s quiet and I can chill away from the hustle and bustle of the local town, it’s also better for playing with the cars as I’m not totally restricted by space LOL.

In January of this year I got a special 10 year service award from my employers, even though my 10 years was last year and all have been on the best shift, the nightshift. 

As most of you know, I can be a bit camera happy but may have noticed these past couple of years, that I’ve been a bit quiet on that front. Recently I’ve been getting back into it and in a bigger way than before, so watch out as there could be a Sluffer pointing his camera at you!

I also have a ginger cat that’s absolutely brilliant, he likes to spend time with me and follows me most places around the bungalow and garden, where ever I am, he won’t be too far away. He still hasn’t mastered switching on the kettle or using a spanner yet but I’ll keep on trying to train him LOL.

You’re an Elite Member here (our highest level of paying membership), are you getting value for money with that? And please sell us the reason, why everyone should become Elite.

I’ve been an Elite Member since the inception of the membership pay structure, because I wanted to give something back to the club that has helped me make new friends from around the country and the world.

Yes the £15 a year for normal membership does seem a lot cheaper than the £48 a year of the Elite but for the benefits of being an Elite, from discount tickets at shows, discounts on parts (group buys for example) and having a say on certain aspects within the club when proposals are put forward, far outweighs the price differences.

I’ve actually ended up getting money back from the club, so the Elite membership worked out free last year after all the discounts.

You are also a long term serving NPOC Staff Member (respect!).. What’s better, being on the Staff Team, or just being a club member with no responsibilities?

Both have their plus points and minus points, but for me personally being on the Staff Team is much better, as I feel as if (work permitting) I can put more back into the club. Admittedly there are times when it’s really difficult being a staff member, as you have to do things that might seem harsh to the club members but they are all for the good of the club.

Being part of the Staff team and being a small part in helping making this club the success it is, makes me such a proud person and I can look back and be happy with what has been achieved over the past 7 years.

Now we know you are a Nissan Primera P10 General, in the ranks on NPOC and I’ve personally seen a few P10’s on your driveway! So how many have you actually got right now and why?

Right now I currently have four P10’s sat on the driveway, two eZX’s and two eGT’s, all saloons, as have all my previous P10’s been. Although for several months last year I had 5 sat on the drive, with the 5th being the COTM 2005 winner who has met a sad demise, but most of her lives on in various cupboards and boxes anyway!

Why?? Why do you have to ask such a question? LOL. How can any Primera owner not like the styling and sexiness of the P10 saloon? To me they are the ultimate Primera. The curves are just right, the rear end of the saloon is the best looking rear end on any car, stylish, sexy and thought out by the designers.

The eZX (red saloon) in this feature I bought in 2010, after a fellow member “prim-n-proper” contacted me and said I should check it out, so I looked at the photos, arranged a viewing and promptly fell in love with it.

It comes with all the receipts dating back to 1992. So thank you to Martin “prim-n-proper” for pointing me in this direction.

The 2nd eZX, (another red saloon), I received a phone call from “Grim”, asking me if I wanted it and well I just couldn’t resist it! No matter how hard I wanted to say no because of finances etc.. I just couldn’t do it, so she’s now here, with plans for her to be a casual road / track car.

The 1st eGT (another red saloon LOL) was a joint eBay buy with “essNchill”, it was to be used as a fun time / track time car. It looked good, it felt good, and however, when it came to stripping it, I happened upon on the P10’s worst enemies, Tin-worm! To say we were gutted would be an understatement but she will live on as her parts will be used towards keeping the others alive.

The 2nd eGT, (metallic grey saloon) again a phone call from “Grim” asking if I was interested, resulted in it being on my driveway. Although engineless, the engine from the 1st eGT will be transplanted into this and she’ll be back on the road. 

What’s the combined age of those beauties?

The combined age of the four P10’s if you go by the 1st day of registration dates, is an eye watering 79 years old!.

But if you go by chassis numbers they are combined at over 80 years old.

What keeps you with the Nissan Primera (and specifically the P10) range so far? Most of us know you are an Old Skool Ford nut as well, never tempted to jump ship for the blue oval?

Apart from a period of 2 years 1999 - 2000, P10’s have been a part of my life in one way or another since 1994, which is when I first sat in one and got to manhandle one. It’s hard to describe what I felt at that moment, but I guess 18 years later and having owned several and having the 4 sat on the drive now, this should be enough to summarise my feeling and love for the Nissan Primera!

I do love my Old Skool Fords and if I could afford one now, I would have one but it would never be a replacement for my P10, it would be to compliment it. 

Old Skool Fords and P10’s to me are similar in many respects, although the drive layout is different, they all ooze charm, character, passion and that feeling that they’re a drivers car not just and A to B car.

As we’ve already established, your collection of P10 eGT’s and eZX’s have some age.. What’s your philosophy on keeping / owning old cars? Should they just be enjoyed for what they are and the condition is part of that charm, or should we all be looking at buying old cars and throwing thousands of pounds and nut and bolt restorations, to make factory fresh pretty cars?

This is a toughie, I mean if I could afford to do a full strip down, rebuild, full on nut and bolt restoration to concourse condition, then I would do that for one of them, but they are a drivers car!

I try and keep up on the mechanical side of things, such as servicing, replacing / upgrading worn components and the biggest threat, keeping the tin-worm at bay for as long as possible.

I look at them and think “You know, they’re 20 years old”, they’re not going to be minty mint perfect but they’re in a hell of a lot of a better condition than many more modern vehicles, and that makes me happy.

On to the modifications, now would be a great time to tell us all about your Nissan Primera P10 eZX Saloon! So please list your full spec and all modifications, inside and out:

17” Pro-race 1.2 alloys (in a custom bronze colour)

D1 Spec lightened wheel nuts in black

HotShot Header and down pipe

Hotshot WAI, was a CAI on the lowport SR20 P10, but need some extra bendy bits to make it a CAI on the highport SR20

XTD Lightened flywheel

Cusco Top links

A’pexi Neo Geo

Janspeed rear exhaust

Chrome Dial Rings

NPOC Tax Disc Holder

NPOC Stickers… Got to keep the club flag flying when on the move!

Sheep stickers, need I say more LOL

What’s the most enjoyable change you’ve made so far?

Can I pick two? 

The alloys really changed the look of the car and the colour of them is just right too! I didn’t want to go black, or black with a red lip or white, (they’ve been done to death). I wanted something different but which still stood out, but not so much that they were “in your face” stood out, just a subtle but effective look. 

For my 2nd choice it would have to be my Cusco Top Links. If you don’t have any, I suggest you get some! The way the car handled after fitting them was so just fantastic, with a nice little bit of stagger, not too much, just enough.

If I gave £500 right now and told you it had to be spent on the car, what would you buy?

Hmmn, the sensible person in me says a new front cross member, and new sills, get my four pot calipers fitted. The not so sensible person says get her liveried up in the Old Spice touring car colours, in memory of the late Keith O’dor.

If money was no object and you could do anything you wanted to the P10 eZX, what would you do?

A full strip down and rebuild with the above new body bits and any others that needed doing and a respray in its current original AG4 red colour.

Get the aforementioned livery done, a full on engine rebuild with uprated components, get the suspension sorted, with coilovers and just make her epic!

Although making a Nissan Primera P10 epic is quite a difficult task, as they already come with that title LOL!

You’re known for an extensive parts stash, both with OEM gear and aftermarket goodies! Is all of that part of a retirement plan or something?

No no, no retirement plan, but now you’ve given me that idea, I’m sat here stroking my invisible goatee beard thing.

No seriously, the parts will make their way onto the car(s) at some point, but might just take me several years to get around to it LOL.

You can never have enough spare parts and I’m always on the lookout for more but as with most people, finances are the biggest hold back!

At Japfest in May 2012, we’re gonna see you out on the track (along with some other club cars)… How exciting is that gonna be!?!?

Nervous and exciting at the same time, as I hate being in view of the public… And well, being out on track with a couple of hundred people watching is going to be pretty daunting, just hope I don’t bin it and I hope you (essNchill) don’t throw up in the passenger seat as I won’t be cleaning it, you will be LOL!!!

Time for the quick fire question round!

How long have you been an NPOC Member? 
9 long and happy years on May 18th 2012.

What makes you smile? 
My cat and my cars. 

What makes you sad? 
Seeing poorly animals.

Tell us something we don't know about you..
Shh but I do drink the occasional cup of tea!

Your favourite colour? 
Black 

Your lucky number? 

What will it say on your gravestone?
Unknown person lies here.

Your favourite drink (any)? 
Daft question that like….Coffee is the sure fire winner here LOL!

If you could steal the keys to someone else’s car (on NPOC) for 1 day, which car would you steal and why? 

Jimmy “sprint”s SR20VE powered P10, who wouldn’t? It’s a sexy as buggery P10, (albeit with a P11 lump) but it’s a nicely powered VE lump and one that I will admit, I’m extremely jealous of and wish it was mine!

Staff / Club PR hat on now.. Please tell everyone why they should take the time to get out to our club meets (regional or national).

I went to my 1st meet in 2003 and 9 years later I’m still here LOL. Going to your 1st meet is daunting, but you will see that we are a happy and laid back family, bring your dog, rabbit, children, wife, girlfriend or boyfriend, all are welcome at our meets! Break the ice at one of our meets and meet the people behind the screen names, you will probably get more enjoyment out of being part of the club, by putting names to faces and becoming more involved.

What’s been your favourite ever club meet, “of all time” so far and why?

Oh wow, what a bloomin question! I’ve been to that many in 9 years LOL but I think for obvious reasons it has to last years JAE (2011), as I won best P10 in show, which was voted for by the members of this club. To say I was speechless and had a lump in my throat at the time would be an understatement, it was such a special moment in my life receiving such a prestigious award - I’ve got tears in my eyes now just writing this as I think about that moment when I was called up.

Only regret is that I was so speechless, my acceptance speech was pretty non existent – Sorry!

Now you have 2 x COTM trophies and the Best P10 in Show trophy you won at JAE 2011, this means you’ve entered into a rather exclusive club of having 3 NPOC trophies. Wow!!… How does that make you feel?

Winning one NPOC trophy is significant enough but now having 3 trophies sat proudly on display is just, well simply mind blowing! I still have to pinch myself after winning the Best P10 trophy, now I have to pinch myself even harder, downside though, I’m now covered in bruises LOL!

NPOC for life (regardless of what car you own and drive) or leg it when you change car?

I’m an NPOC’r baby! I won’t cut my arm off to prove it, but I am like a stick of rock when it comes to the club, I have it written inside me!

In your 2005 COTM feature, you were asked if you’d ever stray to the P11 darkside.. Here we are 7 years on and despite you mentioning the temptation of a P11 144 saloon.. The truth is, you’ve remained faithful to the P10 Army! How does the original question still hold up?

In a nut it doesn’t anymore LOL. Back then I never thought my love for the Nissan Primera P10 could get stronger, but it most certainly has! So there shouldn’t be any P11’s with their V5 in my name in the future, but none of us know what is round the corner, so never say never I guess.

What happened to the P10 eGT COTM winning car from 2005 and do you miss her?... It must be like losing one of the family?

The poor old girl has gone to heaven, well the shell and the engine have! The interior parts including dash, plus doors and boot etc live on in various stashes around the bungalow. One part did go to America though, so the love has been shared!. 

Do I miss her? I do, the week she went was quite hard but oddly I don’t miss her as much as miss my first eGT… That was one P10 I do regret letting out of my life.

Tell Carlos Ghosn why he needs to bring back the Nissan Primera brand:

Just look at this club, you can see the passion for the Nissan Primera, you can see what gets written about their now defunct saloon brand! Stop with the SUV’s and shoe boxes and get back to what you did best in the 90’s and make excellent, fast, fun loving family saloons that can again wipe the floor of rival saloons. But preferably not with a lot of the curvy shite you’ve got going on with your new vehicles!

Many thanks for telling us all about yourself and the Nissan Primera P10 eZX Loon, she’s super rare and very worthy to now sit in the NPOC history book! Congratulations once again for winning Car Of The Month for April 2012 Gaz! Please end this feature, in your own words and feel free to thank anyone who’s made this one possible.

Haven’t I said enough ^^ up there ^^ and you still want me to witter on some more!

What can I say.. As one of the ‘old’ boys now, it’s you the members that have made this place a huge part of my life for the 9 years. I’ve made many great friends, got to know many great people that I wouldn’t have done, were it not for here and I can’t thank you all enough for that!

To all those that have made me part with my hard earned cash through parts sales and car sales etc… I thank you through gritted teeth, nah seriously if it wasn’t for you guys, I wouldn’t be here now writing this and celebrating such a momentous occasion!

A few thanks to individuals now and in no particular order and sorry if I’ve missed you off, it’s most certainly not intentional!

“essNchill” & “Princess Fluffy”, for being there at my low points, my high points, and being brutally honest when needed and for putting a roof over my head, over the years. Oh and windmills are ace by the way, especially ones in Norfolk LOL!

“P12DMR” & Pam, again for being there at my low points and my high points, for getting your hands dirty on my various P10’s when I’ve hit a brick wall with certain jobs and for being on the end of the phone offering advice when needed. Also, for the cooking and coffee supplies at your house or at meets x

“Tom-P10”, for the help and advice over the years and getting the B&B’s organized for Japfest every year too!

“Grim”, for the cars and the help over the past couple for years, diamond geezer! 

“CarlosKongFooey”, my housemate.. For putting up with my random thoughts and ideas and for suffering my low points more than most! Also for putting up with finding random Nissan Primera P10 parts in random places around the bungalow LOL! 

“prim-n-proper”, for the various parts you’ve sent me, given me over the years, and the nice surprises at JAE LOL.  Baaa

“Ant-Dat” & “eeyore”, for the advice over the phone and at meets and also for putting me up and feeding me whenever I visited Scotland.

The Club Owners as a collective, for making this club what it is today. You’ve done a fantastic job and here’s too many more happy years of NPOC.

Finally a huge huge thank you to everyone for making this momentous occasion happen. You’re all special!

Congratulations once again to Gary!

April 2012 COTM - Sluffer

Written by essNchill

Print Page | Close Window