Print Page | Close Window

Suction Control valve

Printed From: Nissan Primera Owners Club
Category: General Open Forums - NO TRADING!
Forum Name: New Members
Forum Discription: Say hello and introduce yourselves!
URL: http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=64699
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 1:38pm

Topic: Suction Control valve
Posted By: gonzo73
Subject: Suction Control valve
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 3:13pm
I have just bought a Nissan Primera 2.2 dci (2003). I have just fitted a suction control valve myself cleared the fault code and reset the EML and fuel pump.
Started the car up for approx 10 mins which the car cut out. tried starting it again but was totally dead.
Is there any advice on how to overcome this problem

Cheers.

-------------
MAP

Replies:
Posted By: timeshock!
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 3:28pm
Hi and welcome to the forumHandshake
eliminate ta faulty new SVC and put the other one back in, at least it was running

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 4:12pm
it was still going into limp mode with the old svc. thats why i replaced it Cry.

-------------
MAP

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 4:19pm
Yes I appreciate that, but at least it was still going, if you put that one back it and it starts then you have a faulty new SCV, if it still won't start then we can eliminate the SCV and look else where. I take it you have no error codes and no NATs lights on and battery is strong and charged

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 4:28pm
I took the car into a nissan dealer and they advised me it was the svc the vault code came up p0089 and the EML was on. they were going to charge me £400 to do it. so i decided the cheaper version and do it myself.

-------------
MAP

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 4:52pm
Absolutely agree, no point paying vast sums to them on a simple operationThumbs Up
That fault code is normally associated with SCV. Did you change just the one valve?

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 5:23pm
 yeah just the one and the part was from a nissan dealer as well Unhappy

-------------
MAP

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 5:31pm
There are two identical valves see page EC1868 of the ESM

http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/nissan-primera-factory-service-manuals_topic29493.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/nissan-primera-factory-service-manuals_topic29493.html

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 5:36pm

Suction Control Valve replacement       

Save yourself a pile of cash by doing the following. This how to Is based on the Almera (N16 phase 2) 2.2DCI all other Nissan’s will have the same item but maybe slightly difference to replace due to different location etc.

Symptoms
Loss of power, erratic idle (more so when cold) boost spikes (loss of total power during overtake) 
If you contact Nissan and say the above they will probably say you need a new diesel pump but that’s not really true.
What you do need it a new suction control valve, AKA fuel pressure regulator in the diesel pump.
Tools Required
10mm spanner
6mm Allen key

This how too will explain the process of replacing the suction control valve and how it will improve you DCI engine.

1.Go to Nissan and get the valve(part no NA6860AW42B) it’s about £120+vat give or take

2. Disconnect the battery (yes I know hayes manual states this for everything but it is important) (you need it disconnected for at least 90mins I personally left it off over night)
3. Unplug the sensor

4.Using a 6mm allen key remove the old valve there will be a little diesel come out but not much

5.Refit the new valve with the new seal and bolts (supplied in kit) make sure it goes in square I worked each bolt a bit at a time to pull it in. 

6.Then plug it back in and reconnect the battery but don't start it

7. Not sure if this is really needed but I did it just in case, putting ECU rest and into self learn mode)
Turn ignition on so all dash lights come on.
Wait 3 seconds
PUMP accelerator pedal 5 times within 5 seconds....
with foot now OFF accelerator wait 7 seconds...
After 7 seconds press and hold down accelerator pedal for 10 seconds...
After 10 seconds the Engine Management Light will start to flash, at this point remove foot from accelerator.
the Nav is now in diag mode, so let the EML flash for a bit. The press and hold the accelerator pedal down for more than 10 seconds. This will  reset ECU and fuel pump and put them into learning mode.
8.Take car for a spin. From doing this I have notice quite a difference in the car in power, idle and pulling away hard there is no excessive smoke out the back

hope this Helps and saves you some money
Ant-dat

http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2866" rel="nofollow - best OEM P11 JAE 08&09  SB "he isn't human, he is a machine that never falters."
this was the procedure i followed. thanks for your link by the way i have a good look at that Thumbs Up.

-------------
MAP

Posted By: wickydude
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 6:48pm
A link to that other post would have been enough, mate

those pics are from an Almera, which has only one SCV, if I'm not mistaken, where the P12 has two, as Timeshock said.
Nissan4u.com at least lists 2.

Got a pic from your own pump and valve?

-------------
http://www.spritmonitor.de/de/detailansicht/635381.html" rel="nofollow">

Ex: Primera P12 1.9dCi Estate<b

Posted By: simonp12
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 11:28am
The older primera diesel(pre facelift) had two valves that would go faulty, the newer dci is the same block as the almera dci and xtrail and has the one main valve as per the guide. The problem with the electronic service manual is that its aimed at the first release of primera p12's and doesn't really cover the dci.Wink 

Posted By: redjay
Date Posted: 05 May 2015 at 10:40am

Hi,

My Almera 2.2 DCI is experiencing the same symptom’s.

I am going to have a go at doing it myself as it doesn't look too onerous a task however can I ask why the battery needs to stay off for at least 90 mins?

Cheers

Jay

Posted By: mattsix
Date Posted: 05 May 2015 at 10:43am
battery disconnected is usually to reset the ecu or for other reason's.
You know you can turn your light's on or press the brake pedal for 5 second's so and disconnect the battery to discharge any residual current left.

Posted By: ragt20
Date Posted: 05 May 2015 at 8:26pm
as mentioned above you need to reset the system, ecu etc once the SCV is swapped over, leaving the battery of for that time is the cheap way to do it, if you don't want to do that, just fit the part, drive over to Nissan, give em the £60 odd for 30 mins work and they'll reset it for you..

-------------
FAO : Laurens, I am not Shaun.
FAO : bavs83, I am not Tan.
VZR-CHECK, VZR-N1-CHECK, P11 VE-CHECK, P12 20V-CHECK, XTRAIL VET-CHECK

Date Posted: 05 May 2015 at 8:34pm
Thanks for the advice. Can I just confirm that by leaving the battery off for over 90mins once reconnected it will reset automatically or will I be required to do something else?
Appreciated in advance

Date Posted: 05 May 2015 at 9:33pm
nope nothing else would be required to be done

-------------

Date Posted: 05 May 2015 at 9:40pm
Thanks for that!

Now all I've got to do is try and sort my bonnet release, tried to have a look under the bonnet yesterday and nope it refuses to open

Date Posted: 05 May 2015 at 9:41pm
try and get someone to lift the bonnet, as you pull on the release lever...might just get it open for you

-------------

Date Posted: 05 May 2015 at 9:51pm
I'll give it a go thanks👍 Had the car for years with no real issues then a few come at once👎

Date Posted: 09 May 2015 at 4:17pm
One last thing, should I got for a genuine Nissan part or go for a Denso one, which are slightly cheaper on eBay etc? As you might have guessed I'm new at this however where in the engine area is the suction control valve located? Once again many thanks

Date Posted: 10 May 2015 at 2:50pm
One last thing, should I got for a genuine Nissan part or go for a Denso one, which are slightly cheaper on eBay etc? As you might have guessed I'm new at this however where in the engine area is the suction control valve located? Once again many thanks

Posted By: wickydude
Date Posted: 10 May 2015 at 2:56pm
Chances are the Nissan part is produced by Denso.
The SCV is on the back of the fuel pump. Back of the engine iirc.

-------------
http://www.spritmonitor.de/de/detailansicht/635381.html" rel="nofollow">

Ex: Primera P12 1.9dCi Estate<b

Date Posted: 11 May 2015 at 9:40pm
yup the nissan one is Denso as well...so you can't go wrong with one of them

-------------

Date Posted: 11 May 2015 at 9:44pm
Nice one. Although not counting my chickens to soon but I've done a ECU reset and since doing it the car seems to be running better, a possible fix?

Date Posted: 11 May 2015 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by redjay redjay wrote:

Nice one. Although not counting my chickens to soon but I've done a ECU reset and since doing it the car seems to be running better, a possible fix?
Yes it sometimes works but generally the symptoms come back

Posted By: Borges
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2016 at 2:25pm
Hi, guys, thanks for posting this tutorial, really greatly appreciated.
Now, I've got myself a SCV to replace my existing one, which was giving me an error (P0089), but as I went to change, forgive my dumbness, I could not find the location. Would you, any of you experts on this, help me out, please?
Regards,
Borges

Posted By: p11primeragt
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2016 at 4:23pm
Looking at rear of the engine towards the top (pulley end) you see the diesel pump,then your looking for something being held by 2 allen bolts to the pump,that your scv.

Disconnect the battery for a while first. 

-------------

Posted By: Borges
Date Posted: 14 Apr 2016 at 11:54am
Thank you very much for all your help, guys. God bless you for that.
I've changed today morning, and, in all honesty, I thought that I wouldn't be able to finish.
What a place to put that... Phew.
Any way, I hope this will sort my P0089 problem.
Kind regards, 
Borges

Print Page | Close Window