Print Page | Close Window

New P10 owner

Printed From: Nissan Primera Owners Club
Category: General Open Forums - NO TRADING!
Forum Name: New Members
Forum Discription: Say hello and introduce yourselves!
URL: http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=70269
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 2:31am

Topic: New P10 owner
Posted By: Scouse boy
Subject: New P10 owner
Date Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 8:30pm
Hi guys,

I'm the new owner of Tom's P10 :)

I am having a bit of a problem though. My idle was dropping to around 4-500 when my clutch was dipped but would return to around 800rpm after a few seconds. My friend advised me on some carb cleaner. We wasn't too sure where to spray it so he took off the throttle body and spray in there. Refitted and started the car. The car is now idling roughly and not going over 2500rpm. I have done some research and realised that the plastic screw should be removed and then spray the carb cleaner down the hole.

http://s412.photobucket.com/user/taylo011187/media/primera1_zps11d06d2c.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

http://s412.photobucket.com/user/taylo011187/media/primera2_zps360bf7eb.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

How can I fix this issue?

There is a sensor next to the throttle body so would that need replacing>

http://s412.photobucket.com/user/taylo011187/media/tbprimera_zpsb3cafe43.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

See attached images.

Many thanks,

Craig

Replies:
Posted By: ragt20
Date Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 8:58pm
sensor next to the throttle body is the TPS sensor, Throttle Position Sensor, there is some info in the 'How to section' to make sure it is set to the correct position. 

also in the same info thread should be information to check and set the base idle, which will affect the idling of the car. 

if you removed the plastic screw which adjusts the base idle, it has to go in and setup correctly, just winding it in will give you problems with idling...

has to be set correctly 

-------------
FAO : Laurens, I am not Shaun.
FAO : bavs83, I am not Tan.
VZR-CHECK, VZR-N1-CHECK, P11 VE-CHECK, P12 20V-CHECK, XTRAIL VET-CHECK

Date Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 9:04pm
Thanks for the info,

Do I need to replace the TPS then? Any chance the carb cleaner may dry out overnight and be ok in the morning? lol

Craig

Posted By: p11primeragt
Date Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 9:11pm
Carb cleaner will evaporate off,so no worries about it taking a long time drying.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 9:12pm
So it should be ok tomorrow? or do I need to replace the TB / TPS?

Am so confused and need the car working by Tuesday

Thanks

Posted By: ragt20
Date Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 9:16pm
no you don't need to replace any of those parts, they ain't gonna go wrong just cause of a bit of Carb cleaner on them...

if the position of the sensor was moved, then that will cause big issues, same with the idle adjustment screw...

-------------
FAO : Laurens, I am not Shaun.
FAO : bavs83, I am not Tan.
VZR-CHECK, VZR-N1-CHECK, P11 VE-CHECK, P12 20V-CHECK, XTRAIL VET-CHECK

Date Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 9:19pm
Ok, I will give that a look tomorrow.

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it :)

Posted By: gazandsue58
Date Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 10:17pm
Thought I recognised the Red Devil, really smart looking car hope the fault clears.

Date Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 11:08pm
Cheers man, will keep you all updated.

Hope to make JAE this year so be good to meet some members of the club

Craig

Date Posted: 06 Jul 2014 at 1:23pm
The car is now running :) The timing is out and is idling around 1000rpm once warm. Do I continue to adjust the TPS or take it to the garage to get the ignition timing set?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Date Posted: 06 Jul 2014 at 1:31pm
You need to set the timing if it's out of spec, you do this via the distributor,so you will need a timing gun if you want to do it yourself or you can take it to a garage,10 min job for a garage to do it.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Jul 2014 at 1:32pm
Cheers mate, will take it to the garage :)

Date Posted: 06 Jul 2014 at 4:37pm
I have been advised that the ECU needs to be entered into a mode for the timing / idle to be set? How can this be done? I can't find anything on the 'how to' section

Craig

Date Posted: 06 Jul 2014 at 4:41pm
http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/setting-sr-base-idle-and-timing_topic23853.html

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Jul 2014 at 5:38pm
Thank you very much good sir, the car is now running lovely and idling beautifully :)

I will still take it to the garage for the timing, but am very happy :)

Posted By: gazandsue58
Date Posted: 06 Jul 2014 at 7:29pm
Glad the car is running brilliant

Posted By: RS Tom-Hundred
Date Posted: 07 Jul 2014 at 12:20am
Hi Craig!  Glad you found the link I mentioned and got it all sorted back to how it should be Big smile 

Deffo be carefully about just firing carb cleaner in as the crap it cleans off can end up in the engine rather than out of harms way.  Also avoid removing/moving any of the sensors or throttle position/potentiometer stuff, especially if not in the timing mode as it can cause issues like you had.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2014 at 7:57am
Hi mate,

it's the last time I let my mate go near the car, that's for sure. I will definitely do my research first :) thanks for everyone's help

Craig

Print Page | Close Window