Print Page | Close Window

Nissan Primera P12 xenon headlamp aiming /cleaning

Printed From: Nissan Primera Owners Club
Category: General Open Forums - NO TRADING!
Forum Name: Nissan Primera Help & Queries
Forum Discription: NON Paying Members Q&A Section
URL: http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=78060
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 9:31pm

Topic: Nissan Primera P12 xenon headlamp aiming /cleaning
Posted By: petterg
Subject: Nissan Primera P12 xenon headlamp aiming /cleaning
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 7:25pm
I just discovered that my RH low beam headlamp is very low, and the headlamp cleaner does not work on either side. The LH low beam is fine, and also the high beams are fine. I have the automatic aiming control for the low beams.

Could the aiming and cleaning problems be caused by the same fault?

As the LH aiming is pointing forward, I'm guessing the height sensor is ok.

When I turn the nut that is supposed to calibrate the height adjustment, nothing happens. Hence I guess the aiming issue is mechanical inside the headlight unit. Is there any way to get the aiming related parts out of the headlamp unit without breaking the glass?

Replies:
Posted By: p11primeragt
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 8:42pm
Not sure you need too but you could warm up the glass housing and separate it from the light housing.

Posted By: Electrolyte
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 12:08am
Unlikely!. The headlamp washer uses a separate pump which is most likely Knacked. Had to replace mine.
The xenon low beam aim could be a faulty motor, gearing or no power supply. Though as you say sounds mechanical as if gears have failed and allowed the mechanism to drop.
Don't know how the mechanics of it are put together!!

-------------
If in doubt give it a clout!

Posted By: imckay
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 7:17am
There is a manual alignment procedure for Xenon Lights in the Service Manual.

See Electrical, Lighting, Page LT-15

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 10:29am
The manual procedure on LT-15 is what I call calibration of the height adjustment. The strange thing here is that nothing happens when I turn the height adjustment.
I discovered the RH issue when I did recalibration on the LH after bulb replacement.

According to nissan4u.com, there is a part called "Actuator head lamp". So there should be a way to get at least some of the aiming mechanics out of the headlamp unit. But I can't see how to do that - whats holding it?
http://nissan4u.com/parts/primera/el_p12e/2005_9/type_104/body_electrical/head_lamp_front_combination_lamp_and_head_lamp_cleaner/illustration_1/

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 1:04pm
@Electrolyte
Where was the head lamp cleaner motor located? How did you access it? It seems to be one in front of the tank and one at the rear. The front one seems to require bumper to come off, while the rear seems easier accessible.

I feel embarrassed for even asking how to get the aiming actuator out. It was very easy. For those how may google this thread, here is the howto:
- Disconnect the cable under the aiming adjustment pot
- Take off the rubber covering the high beam bulb
- Turn the aiming mechanism 45 degrees so that the area where the cable was connected goes towards the high beam.
- Pull the aiming mechanism out, bottom first.
That was the way I did it. Keep in mind that my low beam was very low and did not respond to the adjustment pot. I think, if your aiming control responds to the adjustment pot, you should adjust it all the way down before you start.

When installing, make sure the rod with the ball is extended as far as it goes. Then insert mechanism top first.

At the front of the aiming mechanism is a blue ball at the end of a rod. This ball should fit into a clamp inside the headlamp unit. I think (hope) my problem was that the ball had jumped out of the clamp. The clamp is open at the bottom. That's why you want the rod with the ball to be as long as possible when you angle the aiming mechanism to put it in / take it out.

I hope this fixed my aiming problem. I'll need a dark place to see how it is now.

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 2:49pm
There are two pumps fitted to the washer bottle. You will need to remove the road wheel then the under arch cover to get at it. The one to the front is for the headlamps. You need to disconnect the hose connected to the pump. IIRC it is locked into place by what looked like a grey or white plastic circlip. Pay attention to the way it is fitted, iirc it is orientated. No need to take bumper off but you will be on your back. Once the hose is disconnected I think three bolts hold the bottle in place, remove these and the bottle  will lift down ( remove the neck filler extension first ). The pump is a push fit into the bottle.

-------------

Posted By: roy.2
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 3:46pm
Also the headlight cleaner will not work unless the headlights are turned on. Thumbs Up

-------------
Roy

Posted By: timeshock!
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by roy.2 roy.2 wrote:

Also the headlight cleaner will not work unless the headlights are turned on. Thumbs Up
Mine works without them being on, once every five uses of the screen washer

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 9:46pm
Thanks for your description, Electrolyte.
I'm trying to find the replacement part for the cleaner motor. The parts catalog doesn't say which of the motors that goes to the lights. Does this look like the right part?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Variant3-Blue-Print-Windscreen-Window-Washer-Pump-Genuine-OE-Quality-Replacement-/191611964896?hash=item2c9cf68de0:g:EBsAAOSw-kdXyLAq

A test in the dark revealed that the aiming problem is solved. I also opened the electronics cover on the actuator while I had it out. The copper had turned green at some places. I cleaned it and gave it a round of contact spray. But I'm sure the electronics was not causing the trouble this time.

I think the ball in clamp concept seems very weak. From what I've seen today I'd expect it to fail easily if there is force applied to push a light bulb in. From now on I will take the actuator out whenever I'm doing any work with or near the light bulbs. I don't know how my ball popped out, cause I've never done any work touching the RH head lamp unit. It's the LH unit I've worked on.

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 11:59pm
Found my original post .

Having just replaced the headlamp washer pump in the pissing rain Censored I thought I'd throw out a heads up for those of us with these bloody things.
Having not been used all summer  noticed they were not working and MOT due soon.
Had a look under front of car with lamp pointing at water bottle and saw brown rust stains under the pump motor  (Internal seal gone and motor seized) .
After removing driver side wheel and under arch cover all can then be got at with a bit of effort.
The windscreen wash pump can be seen first and left in place , the tubing can be released from the arch clip.
One tube at this motor has a grey coller which if pushed towards motor using fingernails will click and unlock allowing removal.
The hose connected to the headlamp washers is locked in place by a white plastic circlip with a flat square on top ( one side of this is longer than the other and the longer side faces away from the motor ).
Removing this allows the hose to be pulled off.
The plug for the water level sensor is on the bottom , unlock and remove. 
Remove three bolts supporting  the bottle then rotate bottle to reveal headlamp wash pump.
Lift pump upwards out of grommet then unlock and remove plug.
A resistance test showed the motor as having shorted turns being 0.6 ohms compared to the new motor being between 3-4 ohms. I also proved it by other methods although it was pretty obvious with the rust marks.

Having just put everything back together and testing I bumped into my local mechanic who informed me that most likely I would have got away with it as they were'nt really testing for washers yet just light and alignment. Confused 
And to top it all the rain stopped.........

Brain getting a bit old now and don't know where my original receipt for the part is, but I do remember I got the part no. from the catalogue and got the part from local dealer. It was pricey ( around £50 )
I don't think the part you are looking at is for the headlamp washer. The windscreen washer is bi-directional. I know the catalogue can be a bit tricky to use but you will need the correct pump.
I also think there may be differences between model years. 

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 11:45am
Thank you for the detailed description, Electrolyte

Living in Norway the headlamp washer is an important part. I didn't know that until the night I drove across a mountain in bad weather and it wasn't working. I lost vision frequently and had to stop at every gas station along the way to clean the lights.

Nissan parts catalog gives two part numbers
http://nissan4u.com/parts/primera/el_p12e/2005_6/type_104/body_electrical/windshield_wiper_and_windshield_washer/illustration_1/

From the drawing I'd assume part #4 is the one I'm looking for (as it is not included in the drawing without lamp cleaner). Searching for that partnumber on ebay returns results that looks more like #8 than #4. You seems to also confirm that ebay search results are wrong.

Seems like I have to go to the Nissan reseller (as this is Norway £50 would be extremely cheap), or find a donor car.

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 12:42pm
I would say #4 is what you are looking for.
My part no. is slightly different in that it ends AU31A, yours states for cold climate, so there must be a difference to prevent the motor getting damaged if it freezes ?

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 9:53pm
I think the cold climate is about more fluid and/or higher pressure with each spray. Notice the tank has almost double volume too.

Searching ebay for 28920AU31A returns identical results to 28920AU310. Seems I have to go to Nissan with this one.

Print Page | Close Window