Print Page | Close Window

Nissan Primera P12 estate Starter sometimes turns

Printed From: Nissan Primera Owners Club
Category: General Open Forums - NO TRADING!
Forum Name: Nissan Primera Help & Queries
Forum Discription: NON Paying Members Q&A Section
URL: http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=78349
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 2:22pm

Topic: Nissan Primera P12 estate Starter sometimes turns
Posted By: UsernameTaken
Subject: Nissan Primera P12 estate Starter sometimes turns
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 8:26pm
So as above. Electrics are all fine, lights, radio etc all work. When I go to start it though, it will sometimes fire up fine, but most other times it will do half a turn, or just not turn at all. Suspect bad starter, but I've heard it can be caused by immobilisers and other things? Battery seems fine as well, it was installed not that long ago.

Replies:
Posted By: campbell1987
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 9:31pm
Immobiliser problems usually cause no cranking at all from my experience with this car, And battery seems fine is't really good enough i think, Your battery can show 12v but may drop well below this under load when your starter motor starts to draw the large amounts of current needed to turn over the engine, 
Id say go lend a mates battery and fit it in your car, Though make sure it is big enough if yours is a diesel, 
Using jump leads may work but also may not as you need a really good connection to allow all that current to flow freely, If another battery doesnt fix it then i suppose you could try getting under the car and hitting it with a hammer while someone tries to turn it over to see if starter motor is sticking, If it is let me know as i have one here for a 2.2 to spare, If ya need it pay the postage and its yours, 

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 9:33pm
Sorry should have been more speciffic, Hit the starter motor with the hammer while trying to turn over the engine, Dont just go beating any and every part hoping for the best..lol

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 9:51pm
Actually on second thought I don't think its got an immobiliser. I've just realised I've been starting the car fine with a plain copied key with no keyfob. I went by the service manual which said to remove the air duct to get at the starter motor - but I can't see any starter motor. 

Posted By: timeshock!
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 10:47pm
I was unaware of a P12 not being fitted with an immobilser. Nevertheless it is not an immobiliser issue if it cranks. It will likely be the solenoid sticking.

You might want to have a look at this recent thread

http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/nissan-primera-p12-starter-problems_topic78276.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/nissan-primera-p12-starter-problems_topic78276.html

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 12:05am
I got the AA to come out and have a look. They also tried banging it with a hammer, but got nothing. So it will be getting towed to the mechanics on Monday to see what they can do

Posted By: timeshock!
Date Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 11:43am
Is that the sum total of the AA efforts? did they check power and connections?

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 4:08pm
If all the AA man done was hit it with a hammer i'd be complaining...lol 
I'm guessing it's somethin simple just what, Those guys should be a bit more experienced and know what to look for, Also im sure all 3 of the P12s ive had have had immobilisers and from what ive read they cant really be bypassed so could it be possible someone has removed the immobiliser chip from the key and secured it near the NATS antenna so they could use more than one key with only one immobiliser chip, Check and see has your main key got the chip in it?

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 8:27pm
What does the immobiliser chip look like? I've had my key apart before to replace the battery but didn't really take any notice if the immobiliser chip was there or not. As for the AA man, he did check the battery (found to be fine) and then tried the hammer method lol. He did try for a while to start it that way and eventually came to the conclusion the starter was shot. 

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 9:20pm
Also thanks for offering your spare starter (Didn't see that before lol) but I think the postage from Ireland to NZ would make it uneconomical, and I don't think it would work on a 2.0? Thanks  again anyway. 

Print Page | Close Window