Print Page | Close Window

Nissan Primera p12 2.2dci - cold start problem

Printed From: Nissan Primera Owners Club
Category: General Open Forums - NO TRADING!
Forum Name: Nissan Primera Help & Queries
Forum Discription: NON Paying Members Q&A Section
URL: http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=78811
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 12:03am

Topic: Nissan Primera p12 2.2dci - cold start problem
Posted By: blade1
Subject: Nissan Primera p12 2.2dci - cold start problem
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 3:07pm
2nd time lucky after reading the forum rules again!!

I have recently been having cold start problems with my 2003 p12 2.2DCI that has covered 108k miles - battery has plenty of power and starter motor is turning over but it will take2 - 3 minutes to start with repeated attempts. It has always started so far. 

Once warm she starts up straight away and drives perfect.

Was going to look at it this weekend - searching the forum it would seem that a faulty earth could could these issues so will check these. As its a problem from cold I presume it could be glow plug related? How would I go about checking these?

Also any other suggestions for what to check? sensors etc?

I haven't changed the fuel filter since I have had her (2009) so this will likely need replacing however I wouldn't have thought this would cause just a cold start problem?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Chris

Replies:
Posted By: p11primeragt
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 3:28pm
Does it idle smoothly from cold once you get it started?

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 6:37pm
Once started it idles fine - I did replace the SCV a few months as had problems with it going into limp home mode if it idled for more than 30 secs or so. That problem was sorted thankfully!

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 8:34pm
I'd suggest changing the glow plugs and filter whatever given the amount of time they have not been changed. Both items are cheap and fairly easy to fit which will help in one way or another.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 11:03am

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 11:03am

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 11:05am
So, I've looked at the earth straps and think something is missing!! 

I've taken picture from above (with battery and holder taken out) and below. I am presuming that frayed metal shouldn't just stop in mid air and should be connected to something!? 

Any ideas where it goes? I'll obviously have to get a new one as it must have snapped at somepoint. 

thanks
Chris 

Posted By: timeshock!
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 10:48pm
There are two earth straps, one to the transmission the other to the chassis

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 10:19am
Any idea where on the chassis it goes? I've had a look and can't seem to find the other end? I would have assumed that when it snapped the other end would still be connected to a bolt somewhere.

Would it matter if I placed it anywhere on the chassis as long as its a good connection?

I'm thinking of just buying a universal earth strap rather than getting a Nissan part as I suspect they'll charge alot for it!!

Chris

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 5:00pm
I've been looking around for earth links and getting confused as i couldn't seem to find one that matched the one on my car!

I believe that the standard earth strap is as follows:-

Looking at my original pictures it would appear that the original has snapped at somepoint in its life and a new one has gone from chassis to gearbox rather than replacing the whole cable.

This being the case I think that my earths would be ok?

Chris

Posted By: roy.2
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 5:27pm
Chris. Take out the Glow Plugs and test them. One end on the battery [carefully] and use a jump lead to make the other connection. They should glow White hot, not just red. Thumbs Up

-------------
Roy

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 9:52am
I've replaced the glow plugs with a new set and the problem still persists.

Intermittent starting problems. It does seem to be affected by the way I park my car - my driveway slopes down to the house. I usually reverse in so that I can drive out and this is when most of the problems occur.

It seems better if I drive in (i.e the car facing down a hill)! 

I will have a look at replacing the fuel filter at the weekend and will also check the fuel lines to see if there is an air leak at all. There might be a leak as I can't get the primer on top of the fuel filter to go solid - it just keeps pumping?

I only replaced the SCV a few months ago so it shouldn't be that and when she is started she drives lovely and has a smooth idle.

Hoping its an easy fix and nothing electrical!!

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 4:04pm
If the primer will not go solid within one or two presses it is a fuel line problem including the primer and filter

Date Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 10:29am
Just an update in case it helps anyone else.........

Changed the fuel filter on Saturday and also noticed that the fuel line from the top of the filter to the engine had perished and had cracks in it. No signs of leaking fuel that I could see but replaced that as well to be safe.

When draining the old filter a load of black crap came out which I am sure wasn't helping the engine! The old filter was date stamped 2008 so it has been awhile since it was changed.  

Anyway, my problem now appears to be sorted (fingers crossed!) with the car starting first time the past few days. Long may that continue!!

thanks for everyones input, such a good forum!

Chris   

Posted By: roy.2
Date Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 11:58am
Nice one Chris. Glad you got it sorted. Thumbs Up

-------------
Roy

Date Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 4:55pm
👍

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 5:47pm