Print Page | Close Window

Nissan Primera P11 GT - MOT failue **Help Me Pass*

Printed From: Nissan Primera Owners Club
Category: General Open Forums - NO TRADING!
Forum Name: Nissan Primera Help & Queries
Forum Discription: NON Paying Members Q&A Section
URL: http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=79134
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 6:47pm

Topic: Nissan Primera P11 GT - MOT failue **Help Me Pass*
Posted By: ahmed bossman
Subject: Nissan Primera P11 GT - MOT failue **Help Me Pass*
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 11:16pm

Reason(s) for failure

• Offside Front position lamp(s) not working (1.1.A.3b)
  • Offside Windscreen wiper does not clear the windscreen effectively (8.2.2)
  • Emissions not tested (7.3.A.1)
  • Exhaust catalytic converter missing where one was fitted as standard LAMBDA SENSOR NOT FITTED (7.1.3)
  • Nearside Front Lower Suspension arm has excessive play in a ball joint (2.4.G.2)
  • Offside Front Outer Front constant velocity joint gaiter damaged to the extent that it no longer prevents the ingress of dirt etc (2.5.C.1a)
  • Nearside Rear Brake pipe excessively corroded (3.6.B.2c)
  • Offside Rear Brake pipe excessively corroded (3.6.B.2c)
  • Parking brake: efficiency below requirements (3.7.B.7)
  • Rear Brakes imbalanced across an axle Axle 2 (3.7.B.5b)

Advisory notice item(s)

• Nearside Front Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)

anyone experience any of these? typical fixes and costs please? breakdown with prices of parts and labour separate is possible...

regarding the rear brakes. i have serviced the rear caliper; i,e caliper piston if free also handbrake lever is fine. caliper is not seized... i have a feeling that it be me because i may have not bled the rear calipers properly. also slide pins are butter smooth on both side aswell. one thing i have previously noticed before is there is a funny sound sometimes when braking. its hard to describe but similar to a electronic clicking sound. not really clicking but more like a pump type sound not sure what best to describe it. it only happens rarely and i cant even force the sound to happen to show someone... could this be the abs pump and module? also what are costs to get this and getting it fitted properly...?

any tips and tricks will be much appreciated. i am willing to spend a wee bit to get things right.

-------------
'98 DR2 Green Primera P11 GT - Track car
'98 AJ4 Flame Red Primera P11 GT
2014 Blue Vw Move Up! - Track Car
2009 Milano Red Honda Accord ES GT

Insta : @ahmed.bossman

Youtube : shorturl.at/glzWY

Replies:
Posted By: p11primeragt
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 11:50pm
Could be bulbs for headlight.

New set of wipers needed

Fit a cat converter

Fit a new lower arm instead of messing about with the balljoint,best to do both sides but if money tight that will do.

Gaiter damaged means its shaft out of hub to sort unless you try and bodge it with one of the crappy kits you can get.For the money an hassle you might a well fit a new driveshaft for £27.

Rusty part of brake pipes can be cut out and renewed,not a problem with that.

Renew both rear calipers.

Job sorted.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 7:51am
Cat converter. Can this be off any car. As in does it have to be a specific bore etc or are they all the same?

How much would labour be for the whole lower are replacement per side?

Also labour for just replacing the cv boot. And then labour for replacing the whole driveshaft.

The brake pipe - is the the copper bit. Are you supposed to replace the whole line back to the brake pump ro can i just locally cut out and join with that couple bolt?!

Regarding caliper - its free and should be fine. I have taken fully apart and cleaned properly. All slide pins greased as well... rear pads also only done 2000 miles if that with like nre material still...

Although i do quite doing things on a budget as you may already know!! I dont want to spend a amall fortune getting thibgs right only as i have spend far too much buying the car in the first place also in ongoing general mainteneace i have spend a few hundred here and there to get inti somewhat decent condition. In the long term im willing to get the driveshafts done eapecially if yiur saying it saves the hassle for evey other time and for peace and mind. But in the short term want to get it through with relatively low spondoolies and as quick as possible.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 10:36am
Now just been told that the exhaust has actually been welded and that to rectify i will also need a downpipe and manifold. Ffs🤣😂😂..

Links and prices for this if anyone knows...

Best place to go to...

Also the garage atm not willing to start any work u til exhaust is sorted first as he not willing to take on the exhaust jobby atm... he says its too much of a faff to sort out

-------------

Posted By: GT786
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 10:43am
Scrap

-------------

99 P11 GT Saloon KLO
99 P11 GTLE Hatchback AJ4

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 10:59am
For what i paid. Wont even get that back if i break it🤣😂😂
And not got the time for breaking either.... also rare cars now also have already spent so much on it already. On a bit more just to keep the car going for a long time...hopefully

-------------

Posted By: bavs83
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 11:07am
Unless you need your car desperately, all these things can be fixed in a week or so.

Offside Front position lamp(s) not working (1.1.A.3b) - bulb change?

Offside Windscreen wiper does not clear the windscreen effectively (8.2.2)- new wiper blades

Emissions not tested (7.3.A.1)
Exhaust catalytic converter missing where one was fitted as standard LAMBDA SENSOR NOT FITTED (7.1.3) - get a s/s manifold front flea bay approx £100. Get a cat from scrap yard and lambda if needed.

Nearside Front Lower Suspension arm has excessive play in a ball joint (2.4.G.2) - new lower arm.
Offside Front Outer Front constant velocity joint gaiter damaged to the extent that it no longer prevents the ingress of dirt etc (2.5.C.1a) - fit new arm here as well to balance out new on other side and fit new CV joint at same time.

Nearside Rear Brake pipe excessively corroded (3.6.B.2c) -new pipe piece joined to good pipe with coupler.

Offside Rear Brake pipe excessively corroded (3.6.B.2c)- same as above.

Parking brake: efficiency below requirements (3.7.B.7)- adjust cable

Rear Brakes imbalanced across an axle Axle 2 (3.7.B.5b) adjustments above will help.

All jobs can be done at home if your handy with tools.

Realistically your looking around £250 for parts and free labour if you do it yourself. As for labour costs at a garage, it all depends on the garage you go to and how much discount they may give you. But as a ball park figure probably another £200.

Cost effective if you do it yourself. If you can't then scrap may be your option.

-------------
It's not what you drive....It's how you drive!

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 11:26am
Timewise i have more than enought cars to keep me going for a bit. But ideally like you said want to get back on the roards with this green one asap as insurancr at this age (19) is stupid so dont want to splash out insurance for no reason... so end of the week would be ideal. But no longer than end of the month...

All brake stuff can sort myself by the sounds of thijngs. Just needed to know what to do...

Arm i can do myself its just the ball joint i cant or dont really want to attempt....

And the cv boot aswel...

But the exhaust jobby sound most expensive. Need all ideas to get atound thr exhaust. Because its all welded. I meed all the downpipe and manifold aswell maybe... very expensive... open to ideas i deally as low as poss with exhaust as after cristmas looking to replacr the whole system anyway...need to save for that...

-------------

Posted By: ady_c
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 11:29am
All depends on what you want to spend, with that shopping list I can not see you getting it sorted for anything less than £250

With labour and parts if a garage does the above work I bet it's around £400

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 11:40am
I get the car back tomorrow now as i was unable to pick up today

I will take a look at the exhaust and depending on how bad it looks i will see if its something im willing to tackle.

But all brake stuff and obs bulb and wipers is stuff i want to do myself. B

But will get garage to sort the ball joint and cv boot.

But if i can get the exhaust, cv boot and ball joint done for about 3-350 all in thats perfect for me! Is that likely?

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 12:32pm
Just got a custom exhaust place to quote. Cheapest for a sport cat is 200. Standard cat chepest i found is 150.
I may be going to the £200 sport cat option. Includes fiting and vat etc....

Based on above budget of 300. That leaves me with some £100. How likely is is that i can get the garage to do me the ball joint and the cv boot within that?

Also does anyone know the best guide to tackle the ball joint at home?

Not far now. Managed to get my dad to pick the car up for me today so i can start on brakes tonight hopefully. Will clean up frint calipers as not been dont yet. Replace the brake pipe bits that need doing.. Also flush the system with new fluid. Adjust the handbrake.

Nearly there now. Hopefully can book the car in the exhaust place asap

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 12:55pm
Arms come with ball joint fitted already. You can change the arms at home.
CV joint is simple to change as well. Alternatively get a universal boot that fits in place without removal. Never used one myself. I always change the joint. But it will pass the mot. However if boot let dirt inside, your bearing will go eventually. More cost effective to just change the whole CV joint.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 12:59pm
If you search on here, all the jobs you need to do have been done by someone at some stage. There will be threads showing/explaining how to tackle the jobs.
Honestly the jobs you need to do aren't that hard. Main thing is getting car off the floor high enough and stablised safely using axel stands, wheels, bricks etc etc

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 9:12pm
I have decided that i will be going to take on the ball join jobbie. Watched a few vids now and looks simple what the whole arm is changed at the same time...

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271611718996

Can anyone advise if this is the right part? To tick off the lower ball joint failed...

Thanks

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 9:13pm
Yep correct part.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 9:25pm
As said, that's the correct part.
But if you were to change the ball joint only. That would cost you about £15. I guess it all depends on your skills, willing to get hands dirty and the amount of tools you have access to.
Either way, good man for tackling the jobs. You'll get a huge sense of satisfaction once it's all sorted by you and you saved on labour charge.
Keep us updated with the progress

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 9:41pm
Aha regarding tools
Im no qualified mechanic. Just a typical car nut who has picked up basic weekend D.I.Y skills.

I dont have ball joint press hence why i didnt want to tackle the job myself. Also nor the ball joint separation tool... but this seems fairly cheap so im willing to add to my collection..

I have chamed the lower arm on other cars before but removed the bolts for the balljoint and reused the existing balljoint as i didnt really know how to at the time and didnt want to mess anything up...

Also the cv boot doesnt look too dificult just labour intensive... still havent convinced myself to do it myself.

-------------

Posted By: RS Tom-Hundred
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 9:54am
I'm sure you used to be able to get CATs for these for £40-50 on one website and that people in the club had used them with great success?  Was it on brake-parts or buy-parts-by or somewhere maybe? 

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 10:08am
Originally posted by RS Tom-Hundred RS Tom-Hundred wrote:

I'm sure you used to be able to get CATs for these for £40-50 on one website and that people in the club had used them with great success?  Was it on brake-parts or buy-parts-by or somewhere maybe? 

if i was to go for this option - this will prove to be far cheaper.
although as currently its a straight through where the CAT should go also its been welded... who would be able to cut it our and weld it in? also what would it cost for this? i have found a cat converter as brian mentioned before, for about £37 posted... but on the car there isnt any flanges to mate it to... to will the flanges need curring off and welding on the existing system?

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 10:38am
Perhaps look on the breaking car thread and see if you can find anything?!?!?!

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 10:40am
Originally posted by bavs83 bavs83 wrote:

Perhaps look on the breaking car thread and see if you can find anything?!?!?!

have you got a link, not sure i've come accross it yet...

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 10:44am

just successfully ordered complete lower control arm with ball joint for both sides!👌👌

required nearside - £39 posted. also got a offside one for £28 posted. not sure why the driver sides ones are far cheaper?. . .

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 11:07am
http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/breaking-primeras_forum89.html?SID=1a5b034c564268z1ee6c1da7243594631597222

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 11:19am
lmaooo, im not a premium member, thats why i hadn't come accross the thread😂😂

nw, 

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 12:02pm
just ordered a CV boot kit for both sides aswell nowNorm

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 4:05pm
Lower control arms arrived today. just awaiting CV boots. then a weekend full of joysLOL

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 9:20am
CV boots arrives saturday morning at 7. woke up by mister postman banging on the door LOL

well weekend did not go as planned. got woken up nice and early to tackle all the things bar the Cat.

started with the lower control arm. removed all the bolts but the ball joint bolt. when i got to the ball joint i reallised its upwards  facing so its not something i could put a socket around without removing the hub. went out to get a comprehensive Clarke Pro spanner set including all sizes from 6mm to 30mm and then 32mm (no 31mm...). let it soak in GT85 (wd40) whilst i was out.
even when doubling up the spanners i could not get enough leverage to get the nut to budge. then let it soak again and went out to get a socket to remove the hub nut if thats what its called to remove the hub. bought 2 comprehensive 72t ratchet socket sets 3/8th and also a 1/2 inch set 5mm - 32mm (again missing only 31mm).   got back to relalisez the nut was actually bigger than 32mm.

i went back to the Haynes manual i have and in there it does not mention the nut size. is anyone able to confirm with me the nut size for the the bolt?

i know it sounds stupid, i would have needed to remove the hub anyway to replace the cv boot but for some reason my mind didnt click!

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 10:05am
36mm hub nut.

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 12:09pm
thanks, ordered now.

is there anything else i should knnow when removing the hub etc? or anything else i would need (weny specific toold or anything/)
thanks

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 12:30pm
Hub or hub nut? Just get a length of piping over the breaker bar if it's 1/2 in or you'll be struggling no need if it's a 3/4 breaker bar as that will do it no probs.Get somebody to hold it on the brakes if the brakes are already off then put the wheel back on and put the socket through the centre cap.

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 1:07pm
the hub nut and the hub itself tbh,

i only got a 1/2 breaker bar and thats what i just bought the socket for (1/2 inch)... and the breaker bar i have is about 450mm.

the bar extension i use is something i picked up for free. its pretty much like a scaffold bar... not sure of the correct name of the part, its actually approx easilly 3mm thick steel, again about half a meter long, its the pole as part of the steering column/ support? it pretty much makes mince meat of removing a stubborn bolt.

also should the nut just come off easily or would i need to start banging away or anything? would i need to wd40 it and let it soak or anything first, or just get straight in?

thanks

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 4:00pm
36mm deep socket arrived today, should be able to crack on with getting everything knocked on the head come Saturday now.

will keep you guys updated!

-------------

Posted By: RS Tom-Hundred
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 9:41am
Nice one! Clap  Good luck with it all Thumbs Up

-------------