Print Page | Close Window

Nissan Primera P11 2.0TD ABS sensor issue

Printed From: Nissan Primera Owners Club
Category: General Open Forums - NO TRADING!
Forum Name: Nissan Primera Help & Queries
Forum Discription: NON Paying Members Q&A Section
URL: http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=79190
Printed Date: 23 Apr 2024 at 10:38pm

Topic: Nissan Primera P11 2.0TD ABS sensor issue
Posted By: Astral07
Subject: Nissan Primera P11 2.0TD ABS sensor issue
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 2:20pm
Hi guys, I have a problem with my ABS...

The story starts with ABS starting to turn on without any reason, so i thought i should try cleaning the ABS ring. I saw on yt that i could remove the sensor and through that hole i could get to the ring and try to clean it. So i attempted that but in the process i broke the sensor since it was very stuck inside.

The ABS light never lit up previously but after breaking the sensor it lit up. So a year has passed and finally i have decided to replace it because i saw new ones on eby are quite cheap. And there were also positive comments about it so i bought one.

Then i installed it and the ABS light went off but after few meters of driving, the ABS light lit up again.

And this is the status currently, the ABS would turn off every time i would shutdown the engine but it would lit up after a very short drive.

So now i have no idea. I haven't solved my first issue, and i've caused another one.

What do i do?

Replies:
Posted By: p11primeragt
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 5:09pm
Does it come on if you turn lock to lock?

Posted By: bavs83
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 5:50pm
Are you sure you replaced a faulty sensor (you say it was replaced due to breaking it)? Perhaps one of the other sensors need cleaning/checking?

-------------
It's not what you drive....It's how you drive!

Posted By: imckay
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 6:21pm
You can run a self-diagnostic on the ABS

http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/p11-abs-system-diagnostic_topic48583.html

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 1:34am
@p11primeragt - i will check, what's the difference?

@bavs83 - i physically broke it, so i replaced that one. There was no ABS light before i broke it so IMO there should be no light now after i have replaced it. Although i clearly had some issue even before braking it but it didn't register as ABS light

@imckay - hah, amazing how i didn't even think of that, i will give it a go as soon as i can, thanks!

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 1:47am
How would i check if i bought the http://https://www.ebay.com/itm/ABS-Sensor-vorne-links-Front-Left-Fit-For-Nissan-Primera-P11-96-01-/111672979736?hash=item1a003a7118" rel="nofollow - correct sensor ? My chassis number is SJNBDAP11U0179777.

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 12:16pm
The difference being if it came on when turning lock to lock that would rule out the rear sensors as the cable does not twist like the fronts do...and it would mean you had a bad cable to sensor which in that case you would just replace the sensor anyways.

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 3:16pm
OK so i tried it and ABS light turns on when i turn the wheel lock to lock. It took about 3-4 times to light it up.

So i can rule out rear sensors. And i can most likely say that:

a) i didn't buy the correct sensor for my car
b) the sensor doesn't work correctly

Can you help me figure out "a"?

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 4:43pm
Ok so i also shorted the pins on the consolt port. I got MIL codes on CE light. Shoild ABS light be flashing the ABS codes? I got 12 and 18. 12 is very strange because it should mean no faults and 18 should be wheel speed sensor ring. It meana the sensor is ok but ring is damaged or that the sensor is not reading the ring correctly?

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 4:59pm
Ok update. I was reading the wrong codes. I managed to get ABS light to blink and again i got 12 which is no problem but if i managed to get it correctly i think i also got 21 which means wheel speed sensor, right front open circuit.

Now the problem is that mine is a car with the steering wheel on the left. And the sensor i broke is on my front left. So i'm not sure why it's giving me a problem for the right one u less it's looking at the car from the front??

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 6:10pm
Really sorry about spamming. Seems the problem is sorted, for now. The ebay sensor i installed is actually working fine i think. And the problematic one was now the right sensor which i haven't touched.

I think because i haven't used ABS for over a year, it got stuck or something, so i re-connected it and took the car for a drive. The ABS light went off and it started working!

The first time it worked it was awful, horrible noise and very bad breaking. But already the second time it was working as it should.

I tested it 5-6 times and it was good.

So now we will see how it will react. I expect to get the old problem with it. And that one was - no ABS light but ABS would start working in completely unnecessary situations.

Time will tell.

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 6:32pm
Think you will find that the ABS light will come back on,you have a faulty cable going to the sensor. Another sensor is needed really..

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 6:46pm
I doubt it, but if it's the case, time will tell. Never had the ABS light before so why would it have a faulty cable.

I'm more worried about the ABS rings, i might get new ones since they are inexpensive but i don't know how to change them and if the labor for it is extensive?

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 6:57pm
You'll just proven you have a bad cable by making the abs come on during lock and that's why you got open circuit fault.100% sensor needed👍

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 7:09pm
Until i reconnected it. No ABS light afterwards. Until now at least. I'm not saying you're wrong but nothing's 100% :) Give it a couple of days and we'll see.

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 7:42pm
Could even be weeks but it'll come back on,I've had same issues before with them hence how I know.

As for the rings,just tap them off the cv joint but that would mean removing the shaft from the hub.Which in that case if you havnt already,fit a new driveshaft,comes with new cv joints and ring...Here in uk we can get them for £27 delivered.

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 7:59pm
Where i live the driveshaft is closer to 200 pounds.

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 8:00pm
I never removed the shaft from the hub, don't really have the tools for it. 32mm bolt? Any Primera specific instructions?

Date Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 7:38pm
So the ABS light is not lit, but the ABS continued with the same issue as 1 year ago before i broke the sensor. Sometimes it kicks in without any need. I have cleared the computer for codes to see if i will get any new ones, but no, nothing is recorded. So now everything looks fine but it's not. I will try to clean the rings again with a different method (by jacking up the car) over the weekend.

Date Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 7:39pm
Cable.Sensor needed.When I had a bad cable it did the same thing.

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 8:01am
Would you replace the rings as well or just the sensor?

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 12:53pm
If the ring looks ok ie no missing teeth,damaged teeth etc,then it should be ok.You could replace it still if you wanted but it means taking the shaft out of the hub end as already said but you would not have to drain the gearbox oil though as long as you don't pull the shaft from the box which is should not be possible anyways.

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 2:08pm
Best visual inspection of the ring is from underneath, right?

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 6:24pm
Jack the car up and turn the steering lock..So looking sideways on..

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 9:23am
I checked this but it's very hard to see the ring, i only see a few teeth at the time, they looked corroded but in one piece.

Anyway now i read the ABS codes again and it reports errors 21 and 25 which suggests both open circuits for left and right sensor...However ABS is working fine but still glitching up and sometimes turning on randomly.

I can try to replace the right sensor now but it confuses me why it's still giving a code for the left one as well. How would you proceed?

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 11:28am
Replace the right sensor and go from there.

If you lift the wheels and knock it out of gear (car on stands) you'll be able to spin the wheels which will also spin the shaft/cv joint etc to check them.

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 1:25pm
Any suggestion how to take out the right sensor out since it's seized? Last time i payed the garage to do it almost as much as i payed for the left sensor. This time if i want to replace the right one i will pay double for the garage work...

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 2:58pm
Drill and then hit it out is the only way..So you need to either swing the hub outwards from the shaft for access to the sensor or just remove it completely and put it in a vice and that will make it easier for you getting the sensor out.

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 9:39am
I've never done that, any tips how to swing it outwards? What do it need to take off in order to be able to do it?

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 5:06pm
Remove the hub nut (36mm)

Disconnect the outer track rod end from the hub,loosen the nut (17mm or 19mm depending on whats been fitted)remove the split pin if it's got one, hit the nut up over so not to damage the threads, you can also hit around the hub socket to shock it which will loosen the track rod end then just move it out of the way.

Remove the ABS cable 10mms and the one 12m bolt or it will get damaged by the weight of the hub.

Take out the lower shock mounting bolt (17mm)

Remove the top link to middle link 17mm nut/bolt,once you pull that out the complete lot will drop/swing out.Having a jack in place under the lower arm will stop the driveshaft from coming out of the inner cv joint.

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 7:32am
Thank you, this is very detailed. I'll give it a go but for now it's raining all the time...

Print Page | Close Window