Print Page | Close Window

Nissan Primera P11 2.0TD oil spils

Printed From: Nissan Primera Owners Club
Category: General Open Forums - NO TRADING!
Forum Name: Nissan Primera Help & Queries
Forum Discription: NON Paying Members Q&A Section
URL: http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=79250
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 6:07pm

Topic: Nissan Primera P11 2.0TD oil spils
Posted By: Astral07
Subject: Nissan Primera P11 2.0TD oil spils
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 9:43am
Hi ppl, just passed what you would call MOT. Now 20 year old Primera and with 240 thousand kilometers on the clock is seemingly doing really well. But i seem to have a more deeper problem with an engine oil lea. Or better to say oil leaks.

Apparently the engine is spilling oil all over the place. Even though i cleaned it yesterday, today i already have oil all over. The garage says thy wouldn't want to even try to repair it. Because they thinks it leaks from at least 4 places. They say there must bu a reason (high pressure) why this happened. To fix the leaks on a few places would only cause more pressure on other places that are still leaking and might cause even more problems.

I guess without taking the engine apart fully, it's not an option to fix it.

They say i also have small leaks on the bosch pump and the turbo. But apparently that's not such a big issue.

All in all, i'm not sure when the leaking started to be this extensive but i know that i have put in new oil 6 months ago and it was on the high point, now it's half way to "LOW". So how much oil am i missing? Is it possible to tell from this info? In this period i think i only did about 3000km.

Do you have any thoughts on this? Any similar issues?

Replies:
Posted By: p11primeragt
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 8:10pm
So you've loss 1/2L of oil that's not bad really,what is though is the that the turbo is leaking passed the seals,you run the risk of the engine running on...which means it will Rev out of control (starts using its oil) till it seizes up.So that need sorting first.As for having oil leaks yes it could high crankcase pressure but it's a old high mileage engine so anything is possible...Where does it seem to be leaking from?

Date Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 10:24pm
Thanks for the reply. Well they said at least 4 diff places...all over really. This is not something that happened overnight, i know the engine was oily for years now but this is the first time they actually just barely gave me a pass on the MOT over it.

I guess mileage+years just made the rubber gaskets fail all over and it should be all sealed up from the start if i want to keep it for longer.

Not sure about the turbo leak, the garage didn't classify it as a problem really, they just said there's a few drops there. I could have then take another look  but what can be done anyway?

Date Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 9:53am
Apart from rebuilding/replacing the turbo seals nothing else can be done about it.I'd just keep an eye on it for now but once it starts to get more oily it's time to get it sorted.

Date Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 10:58am
So all is clear, i got one more year left from this one, after that it will need extensive work done on it, i estimated about 1300 Euros, or time for a new car...

That will be a tough decision, driving the Primera for 12 years now.

Date Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 11:47am
Sadly a lot of cars get to this point where they are money pits (I know trust me!) and sometimes it's best to cut your losses but saying that it's maybe not as bad as you think and maybe wont cost as much as you think to repair it..

Posted By: imckay
Date Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 3:39pm
Cars are a lot more expensive in Croatia than UK aren't they?
Probably makes the decision to bail out a bit different to here.

From a 'nothing to lose' perspective, have you considered an Oil Leak Stopping Fluid?
Have never used one myself.

I believe it is normally about 1 Litre between High and Low.
Approx 0.5L you may have lost. Put 0.25L and see how it changes on the Dipstick.
You are no doubt aware that the oil will take a while to settle and give you a true reading on the Dipstick.

Date Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 9:06pm
Well, it's not that the cars are more expensive, they are actually pretty comparable. The problem is that our salaries are at least 3 times lower. So that makes it a harder decision when faced with an upgrade or repair option.

I have actually used oil leak stop but for power steering fluid only. And it actually worked. So you might be onto something. I will check it out.

I will buy 1L and pour some in. I'm also thinking of doing the gasket change myself (gasket of the valve cap - not really sure how it's called, can you let me know if you know what i mean?), should be easy apparently.

Date Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 9:48pm
You mean the rocker cover gasket.By all means try the leak stop as suggested it may help but if the seals are too perished it won't make any difference.

Date Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 10:16pm
I found it as valve cover gasket. Should mean the same thing.

Any make or brand to consider for the leak stop?

Date Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 10:21pm
I've never used the stuff before so I don't know which is best,do a bit of looking up about them to see

Date Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 10:24pm
Every time i change engine oil i need to add another bottle of this stuff? If i find it effective.

Posted By: imckay
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 10:37am
Wynns Stop Leak (lots of reviews on Amazon UK)
STP Engine Stop Leak
Add to new, warm oil. Use when you have leaks.

STP High Mileage Oil Treatment + Stop Leak
Add at every oil change.

I have never used them but both are known Brands
All 3 under 10Euro

Date Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 7:58am
I've purchased Wynns Stop Leakas as it was the cheapest for me (shipping plays a big part of the price). I will add it to 6 moths old oil as i have no plans on changing it for next few months, i hope it will be fine.

Date Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 8:00am
I only did 2700km on this oil in last 6 months, i was driving my bycicle a lot :)

Posted By: d60_tag
Date Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by p11primeragt p11primeragt wrote:

You mean the rocker cover gasket.By all means try the leak stop as suggested it may help but if the seals are too perished it won't make any difference.

Originally posted by Astral07 Astral07 wrote:

I found it as valve cover gasket. Should mean the same thing.

Any make or brand to consider for the leak stop?

My damn Rocker/ valve gasket leaked and was hard to stop- had if off about 3-4 times and gummed it all up with gasket seal/ RTV sealant. Seemed to keep leaking thought, whatever I did.
Leaked from one side only-was only abit but still annoying and overtime a little oil becomes more and more and also makes the engine harder to work on etc.

Think I finally have got it sealed now or at least very close to leak free.
Not sure why it would not seal, but I would guess the rubber gasket may have shrunk abit or something. Was abit odd because the gasket actually looked in not too bad condition.

Date Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 7:50am
I will buy a new gasket, put that on + i have ordered RTV silicone and i will try to seal it up over the gasket as you say. After that i will also add stop leak and if that doesn't help, nothing else i can do but to add some oil every now and then.

It helps that my mileage is really low these days so these problems take much longer to become bigger ones. I hope it will last me at least this one year.

Date Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by Astral07 Astral07 wrote:

I will buy a new gasket, put that on + i have ordered RTV silicone and i will try to seal it up over the gasket as you say. After that i will also add stop leak and if that doesn't help, nothing else i can do but to add some oil every now and then.

It helps that my mileage is really low these days so these problems take much longer to become bigger ones. I hope it will last me at least this one year.

Yes- or you could just inspect the old gasket (around the point it appears to leak mainly), take it off and try to seal that with RTV. Also pay attention to retightening screws/ bolts. Mine seems to have finally stopped leaking I think but I did have to make the bolts pretty tight in the leaking area....

Think if put alot of RTV on when I first tried to seal it then I may have done it quicker- Probably did it 3-4 times but may not have used very good sealant in these attempts or not enough of it. My gasket must be pretty old also but seem to have finally sealed it with the RTV.
I guess doing 1 leak is easier than 4 but if you seal the rocker cover then it is one less leak and then maybe you could try another and see how it goes. Sometimes certain problems may not be as bad as they seem- depends... (there again sometimes they are worse than they seem!)Shocked
Good luck with it!

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 7:34am
Thanks for the input. You're right, i was thinking of checking out the old gasket first. I can always buy a new one. The old gasket was changed about 5years ago so it should still be in good condition, but leaking...we'll see. I will also inspect the cover and contact point if it's bent or uneven. I could try to flatten it out.

Other leaking point will be much harder to reach but the cover is very greasy so i suspect at least 70% of leaks are coming from there.

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 7:52am
Local store has 3 types of gaskets which is a bit strange. Do you know which one i would need?

1 https://p14.zdusercontent.com/attachment/1610370/LEXpjvzYOSCimWKoYOF9UCs0o?token=eyJhbGciOiJkaXIiLCJlbmMiOiJBMTI4Q0JDLUhTMjU2In0..QSS7ZF-40msP493w16xN-w.sZlDdKL-Vq-urrza_2_ze9t4D3yZMQRwIbQH6rls-EMQjyc0EWVVG0619IT2jIvuVR98tkzQrHExD_2SLvRa2DMI2lbsWWNKr1fJfCM0bn_HOzjInf2REiES4AjDQccTu9qAushE6Effr-T0O0zz3k_5qifu5JlgaTP-2xqO6xabXPJ9Wot7DBXGpjZewH92w5KYd4Q_DnObtQVa2-DSa-hyzNorF4kAOPo1j-P11If49ulKm8HL707406FPFy4jp_HvLAAUl-PwWNKusg0iVcZvD0yVyeW5AmObSQDMtmU.CYkCfwy3UqfB41vgpZieAA - 1
2 https://p14.zdusercontent.com/attachment/1610370/3nb3IjUGbjqxZ3fnPhEv2h9FJ?token=eyJhbGciOiJkaXIiLCJlbmMiOiJBMTI4Q0JDLUhTMjU2In0..TqTvURWipTJqdTxzrQ54pg.dNsQMonSNb8AbPRw1mKEfTmRv6h6bSiXI5D0vZcA2mwefWo3tGqwA4pXObrpfuPOJjfHqug-1ao49L2b9TY6cgACa7bRN5D5EuSKsCvOD3aj2x63QLH1du_fy04j-_6k54YRISBG0MZZcUgxnlnTzlNJmaz-FnyfNqt3gWbk-DZ9fGeLAJwtvsgSfGwFXcQAJH6Knx4ztXN5iECgKoxI0bGCiyeM4_wXWptmOnSbePIzl_rmr02zZHJMU5sRCmxX-PfR2xFQecHUPs41-5DwO8lx5f4mAi_GSAfVv84tdDk.f0FyMnYrnVD9ygKEkw2m5A - 1
3 https://p14.zdusercontent.com/attachment/1610370/VxykZrOnDKoCAYTBYwkzGeqit?token=eyJhbGciOiJkaXIiLCJlbmMiOiJBMTI4Q0JDLUhTMjU2In0..rRGl2-058IPyMrB83ovHnA.-LSvf4spwswfZQNuR9Ctwt4uLp-mr7LLi7-O9oaaGkwrBCxehwcT2alU-DLHS5HJa72bcIUFvUSo11k_p4Xu-dxBoPeUKcEJPeKLUQ93qz8ZQxK4DdzM5qvlnu_9Y3Lx4_zlsr8xiRwm11DUt9q5D7PNlS-tSkYvuiRge1Ku3zdYiCIZdLybtS57nA3pOZa7ikSKsgXjQAt4We81jSbrsgdGhlS4oYgDDq8iKTktViMZxFEPGMXdwsuS1Eoo78OE7SFaTSF5kr_hYK3nLzOKCOpRCIAkJarJD40NZBE8lkI.woygjP7_JwgvR8c0VaCFHg - 3

My guess is no 1.

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 9:46pm
Not sure what the type yours is Astral; as mine is a 1.6 Petrol and may well be different (as yours is the deisel as we have discussed before).
Yes, regarding inspecting it/ repairing old one etc, even though mine too is very old, it actually looked in really good condition and had no real rips/ splits or tears. So it seemed sort of odd that it leaked. I guess it maybe was just brittle/ shrunk maybe and not sealing, it only leaked from 1 side and only abit but as we say a 'little' becomes 'alot' after 1 year and was not good having oil all in the engine bay and running down the Aux belts etc.

Yea- have a go at sealing it with RTV and then as you say if no luck maybe get a new one- may take 2 or 3 attempts but probably worth it if it stops the devil leaking....
 Yea- mine took about 3-4 attempts but think I maybe did not use very good sealer the first 2 times. Black RTV did the trick finally for me.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 7:29am
I did order some black RTV right away, still waiting for it to arrive. The gasket is really inexpensive, just that for some reason they have 3 of them listed for the same engine...i'll have to take it appart first to see which one is the correct one i guess. Thanks for the input

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 3:45pm
Just make sure the surface's are dry and really clean before you put on any rtv and let it have 5 mins before you put on the rocker cover again. A lot of people don't give it time to change colour ie it goes dull..

Normally you would just put rtv on the half moon area's of the gasket but if you feel like it can do the whole gasket it does not make much difference.

Posted By: SailorBob
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 2:24pm
Let us know how the RTV attempt holds up.  I've also got oil leaking into one of my spark plug tubes.

Date Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 7:40am
Will do, something arrived in the mail today so i'll go pick it up later, could be the RTV :)

Date Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by p11primeragt p11primeragt wrote:

Just make sure the surface's are dry and really clean before you put on any rtv and let it have 5 mins before you put on the rocker cover again. A lot of people don't give it time to change colour ie it goes dull..

Normally you would just put rtv on the half moon area's of the gasket but if you feel like it can do the whole gasket it does not make much difference.

Yes, I kind of did it this way, allowing a little time to slightly harden but not too much, else if you put it on really wet then you may not really get much of the sealant in the gaps when you tighten it down, because it squeezes out with the pressure of being torqued.  I waited a little time before finally tightening it down, sort of tightened it gradually as it went off.

Also, yes, think mine was kind of leaking from the half moon areas, or sort of seemed in that vicinity thereabouts. I ended up sort of putting it over the whole gasket but abit more on the half moon areas. So far think it is holding up ok, been about 3 months.

Date Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 4:57pm

Print Page | Close Window