Print Page | Close Window

Nissan Primera P12 remove glass from headlights

Printed From: Nissan Primera Owners Club
Category: General Open Forums - NO TRADING!
Forum Name: Nissan Primera Help & Queries
Forum Discription: NON Paying Members Q&A Section
URL: http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=79709
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 9:22am

Topic: Nissan Primera P12 remove glass from headlights
Posted By: purplemonkey123
Subject: Nissan Primera P12 remove glass from headlights
Date Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 6:07pm
Hi all, how easy is it to remove the glass on the headlights for cleaning as they are looking very cloudy?

Replies:
Posted By: imckay
Date Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 6:32pm
Welcome to NPOC,

It is normally the outside the gets cloudy
You can get Headlight Restoration Kits to make them clear again.

Posted By: timeshock!
Date Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 10:09pm
The headlights are plastic, not used the kits so can't comment

Posted By: p11primeragt
Date Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 10:21pm
Depending on the conditon of them,sometimes you can wet sand them with 2000 grade,then buff them back up,it often works or you can get headlight restore kits instead off the shelve.Whatever you do mask around the lights to protect the bodywork while sanding on so on.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 3:13pm
thanks, but i was asking how do you get the plastic covers off so i can clean the inside?

Posted By: timeshock!
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 3:58pm
They are not designed to be taken apart, they are sealed units, if you are determined and really think they are dirty from the inside, then I think you are going to have to heat them and have a careful think how you are going to seal them again.
If as we all believe the fogginess in on the outside, more dense at the top of the headlight then you are going to need a restorer or replacement

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 5:56pm
thanks, any advice on best restorer kit?

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 5:58pm
also got another question, is there a fuse for the central locking, as i had a solenoid replaced in one of the doors because it was making a grrrrrrrr noise overtime i locked it and then about two weeks later the noise came back again and now is doing it on the back door as well.

Posted By: p11primeragt
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 6:06pm
The noise on the door central locking motors will be due to water ingress.Sometimes the doors can self lock themselves after opening them.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 6:17pm
how can i fix it?

Posted By: imckay
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by purplemonkey123 purplemonkey123 wrote:

I believe the 3M Kit is highly regarded.
Have a search on Amazon, etc for Headlight Restoration Kit and read the reviews/ratings.

Posted By: patstonuk
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 8:49am
Originally posted by purplemonkey123 purplemonkey123 wrote:

I just use T-Cut once a month or so. Does a decent-enough job. The plastic remains a little yellowed but all the cloudiness is kept at bay. It just calls for a bit of elbow grease!

Posted By: sch4463
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 12:25pm
Bought a £20-30 kit from Halfords in Feb - Autogym I think - had an attachment to use on a mains drill and all bits you need except a water sprayer (like you use on house plants) and worked a treat.
Don't press too hard, when using dry keep blowing the plastic dust away, use lots of water when instructions say and keep cleaning and changing the sandpaper discs or it 'burns'.
54 reg P12 went from yellow MOT advisory to as new headlamps!

Posted By: sch4463
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 12:26pm
also only use a slow speed!

Posted By: roystonvasey69
Date Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 12:13pm
Used a Quixx kit on my headlamp 'glass'. I'd rate the result very good to excellent. Takes a bit of time as it's multi-stage: 2 or 3 grades of abrasive paper, then a cutting/polishing compound followed by a UV sealant. 

Good news is all the bits are included in the kit, including cloths and sanding block. About £10 off Amazon, takes about half an hour per side. Don't rush it, worth taking the time to get good results. Did mine back in January, they still look shiny and bright. Just remember to mask off around the lamps when sanding. 

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 7:20pm
ARGHHH! so bought a kit, it was all going fine until i put the UV protection paste on headlights looked great, and then it started to flippin rain like a mother. Came back out a few hours later and they have all fogged up again. Don't know what to do, any ideas?

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 7:21pm
ive got white smears going across my headlights both of them this time and its worse then it was before. Should i redo the sanding again?

Posted By: roy.2
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 9:00pm
You are going to have to redo them thats for sure. Ouch  Thumbs Down

-------------
Roy

Posted By: Will20V
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 6:12pm
I'll be having a go at getting the lenses off some headlights to paint the interior black so if you do end up giving it a go I'd be interested to hear how it went.

Print Page | Close Window