Print Page | Close Window

Nissan Primera P12 water pump belt jumped on trip

Printed From: Nissan Primera Owners Club
Category: General Open Forums - NO TRADING!
Forum Name: Nissan Primera Help & Queries
Forum Discription: NON Paying Members Q&A Section
URL: http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=80095
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 2:22am

Topic: Nissan Primera P12 water pump belt jumped on trip
Posted By: Optimus
Subject: Nissan Primera P12 water pump belt jumped on trip
Date Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 10:05am
 Hi guys,
 I'm in desperate need of advice as the water pump/power steering belt of my 2005 1.6 Nissan Primera P12 jumped off while I'm about 1000 miles away from home, in a foreign country and in a tourist trap area. 

This morning I started the car and in order  to exit the parking lot had to make a sharp turn uphill at very low speed (cold engine but very hot outside). Suddenly there was a POP sound and the steering felt very heavy, I thought flat tire on front but upon inspection  the truth revealed itself: the belt had just popped clean off the pulleys.

I closely inspected it, doesn't look cracked or twisted in any way, the grooves (or whatever they're called) on the inner side are good too. Is there any chance to force it back on the pulleys without any tools? As things are now the car would require towing to a garage as the engine would overheat in a few minutes if attempting to drive.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Replies:
Posted By: p11primeragt
Date Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 11:08am
Don't try and force it,you'll end you with more problems.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 11:22am
  Thanks for the reply. I was hoping that it probably popped off because it's weakened/extended so it would be safe to put it back in without doing any damage.

The situation is very awkward,  I may have a hard time finding a garage that's not going to rob the tourist (that would be me) blind.

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 11:50am
It's a simple job putting one back on,20mins tops so should not cost you much.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 12:33pm
Yes, I know, had a look in the service manual after downloading it with 50-60kbps :)

But don't forget the tourist trap part, I strongly doubt I can get away with less then 150 quid, with the car stuck in the hotel parking lot and me trying to discuss service prices with forks who only speak bits of broken English...

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 12:44pm
 And the worst part is that I run the risk to be essentially taken for a long ride once the car is jacked up in the shop. 

Posted By: timeshock!
Date Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 10:53pm
I would suggest in that case, if you don't want to trust/negotiate with them, you have the manual, go buy the tools and do it insitu. Hopefully it will just be the heat expanding the belt, at worst you have a pulley issue.

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 9:51am
Thanks, this is pretty much what I also had in mind after contemplating the alternatives. Any tips on how to proceed?

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 11:09am
I have no idea on the 1.6 engine what the tensioning mechanism is

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 11:32am
You'll have to take off the alt belt also as the one that's jumped come off goes behind that on the crank pulley..

For the alt belt, slacken off the idler pulley halfway up on the block,there's one central nut ect,then almost out a slight is a long 10mm adjusting bolt just to the top of the air con compressor, thats what tensions that belt.Thats all there is to it for that belt.

The pas/water belt is adjusted by undoing the side tensioner bolt (12mm iirc) and the main bolt which is also a 12mm towards the back of the pas pump,but BEFORE you try and do them,loosen the lower pas pump pivot bolt from under the engine/car,if you try and tension the belt without doing this you'll end up bending the tensioner bracket.Thats it for this belt.Dont forget to nip up the main pas pump bolt again once tensioned otherwise the pump will be on a angle due to the belt pulling on it.

I know this as it's the same for a qg15/18de engine which I've had and done in the past.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 11:38am
Cracking response BrianThumbs Up

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by p11primeragt p11primeragt wrote:

You'll have to take off the alt belt also as the one that's jumped come off goes behind that on the crank pulley..

For the alt belt, slacken off the idler pulley halfway up on the block,there's one central nut ect,then almost out a slight is a long 10mm adjusting bolt just to the top of the air con compressor, thats what tensions that belt.Thats all there is to it for that belt.

The pas/water belt is adjusted by undoing the side tensioner bolt (12mm iirc) and the main bolt which is also a 12mm towards the back of the pas pump,but BEFORE you try and do them,loosen the lower pas pump pivot bolt from under the engine/car,if you try and tension the belt without doing this you'll end up bending the tensioner bracket.Thats it for this belt.Dont forget to nip up the main pas pump bolt again once tensioned otherwise the pump will be on a angle due to the belt pulling on it.

I know this as it's the same for a qg15/18de engine which I've had and done in the past.

Thanks for the thorough description. It appears there is some difference between my engine and the ones you mentioned, as my jumped belt is in the trunk :) . It's definitely not going behind the alt belt. I will try in the morning to have a look at the steering pump mounts, if it has the same mounting system as the one you described I guess I'll have to look for a garage as I have no means to safely lift the car so I can start unbolting stuff while sitting on my back under it 

Posted By: roy.2
Date Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 12:21am
Get your offside wheels up on a pavement or something similar Adrian.  Thumbs Up

-------------
Roy

Posted By: schwen
Date Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 6:07am
If u are in spain I can write you a text where is all explained to let the mechanics read and understand the problem and your situation.

-------------
P10 Army - G20.net MOTM April ´09 - NPOC.co.uk COTM April ´11

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 9:06am
 Tbh I wouldn't be so cautious if I was in Spain :)

Anyway, I had a close look at the whole thing this morning and in order to do the job properly it seems clear that the servo fluid tank would have to be removed from it's mounts and moved out of the way. Which would open a fresh can of worms in case the pressure hose cracks/gets weakened and so on.
 However, if I use Roy's approach and find a suitable pavement nearby I may be able to safely slide under the car, remove the shield and attempt to drag the belt on the engine pulley. 
 The belt must be really overstretched if it managed to jump off, as the 'lips' on all 3 pulleys involved are really tall and perfectly aligned. Checked both the water pump and the servo pulleys, they spin freely.

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 9:09am
Err, meant the low pressure hose, the one going to the servo fluid tank. I don't remember ever changing it so it must be 13 years old...

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 1:57pm
Things don't look too bright: I borrowed a hydraulic jack and a French key (adjustable size) from the guy operating the hotel's transfer minibus and lifted the car in the parking lot. Then removed the shield and without sticking my head too much under the car tried to pull the belt back on the engine pulley. Sadly I wasn't even close to success. I presumed the belt was stretched but apparently that's not the case. Anyway' I checked again both the water pump and the servo pump pulleys for any kind of play, all seems to be OK, they spin nice and don't appear to have any sort of axial movement.
 Just as a last resort thing, does anyone know if this type of engine and gearbox can rotate backwards without sustaining any damage? I MAY be able to slide the belt back on the engine pulley if I can rotate the engine back (putting in 5th and pushing the car back with the gearbox engaged). But I'd try this only if anything else fails...

Posted By: schwen
Date Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 3:02pm
can we ask in wich banana republic are you suffering your holidays?

-------------
P10 Army - G20.net MOTM April ´09 - NPOC.co.uk COTM April ´11

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 6:59pm
There's no need to remove the servo or any part on it,yes it's tight to access the tensioner but it's doable.

If you feel the need to though you could lower the engine a few inch by removing the left hand engine mount and the 2 front crossmember bolts,which would make it easier at the back of the engine,but support the engine with the jack on the air con pump bracket or place some wood across the sump with the jack if going this route.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 7:01am
Originally posted by schwen schwen wrote:

can we ask in wich banana republic are you suffering your holidays?

Suffering isn't the word that comes to mind, actually the whole thing is quite nice overall. That's until the car has an unexpected problem lol. 
 I managed to had it fixed yesterday for about 50 euros but that was a stroke of dumb luck. After calling the garages which appeared on gps and being quoted insane amounts for towing and so on I noticed that the little transport bus which passes in front of the hotel goes all the way to the autobus central station of the nearby town. Figured out there may be garages in that area so I boarded it and 30 mins later I landed in a part of the city that probably sees a tourist in 20 years. :)). There was an entire street lined up with garages, everything from general automotive to radiator repairs, AC service and so on.
 Spent about 1 hour there going from one crook to another until I found a small garage where the folks actually wanted to make a honest quick buck. The hard part was explaining what the problem was, as they spoke no foreign language whatsoever.
 Thanks again for the support, knowing in advance the bolt size was very helpful.

Posted By: imckay
Date Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 7:25am
Glad to hear you got it fixed for a reasonable price.
Enjoy the rest of your Holiday Cool

Date Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 7:55am
Originally posted by imckay imckay wrote:

Enjoy the rest of your Holiday Cool

Thanks

It's the first time my trusted Primera gives me trouble in 13 years of happy ownership. And it mostly came because the crooks from the insurance company set a car age limit with the comprehensive travel insurance thst I had purchased. I shopped around a lot before leaving and could't find any company that would cover technical incidents for a 13 years old car, regardless of the technical condition of the vehicle.
Btw, forgot to mention it, the belt got replaced with a new one, it was stretched about 1/3 inch overall. In hindsight, checking and adjusting the tension on the auxiliary belts before leaving on a long trip would have been a good idea.

Big thanks to Brian who took the time to write long and comprehensive descriptions of the job involved.

Date Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 8:15am
Good feedback, pleased you got it sorted, that is a good price for a belt and fittingThumbs Up

Date Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 12:13pm
Good news.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window