Print Page | Close Window

Nissan Primera P12 1.8 Flare burning oil

Printed From: Nissan Primera Owners Club
Category: General Open Forums - NO TRADING!
Forum Name: Nissan Primera Help & Queries
Forum Discription: NON Paying Members Q&A Section
URL: http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=80416
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 6:52pm

Topic: Nissan Primera P12 1.8 Flare burning oil
Posted By: Noddydog
Subject: Nissan Primera P12 1.8 Flare burning oil
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 12:22pm
I purchased a 06/Nissan P12 1.8 (petrol) Flare from a used car dealer (not main dealership) back in July last year. At the time the mileage was 36K, one owner and a full Nissan service history. In fact it had just been put through a full service, including the obligatory oil change.

About a month ago, after covering 6000 miles since the purchase in July, the engine started making a rattling sound at certain revs and the oil pressure code suddenly appeared on the console. I checked the oil and there was only a tiny amount on the bottom of the dipstick. So I instantly topped up the oil to normal levels.

Having driven another 1000 odd miles since then, today I checked the oil level and again it was low, but not quite as bad as before., ie towards the bottom of the normal range. I added approx 600ml to get it back to the correct level.

So I’m looking for advice really. Is this a common/known fault on this model?
Is it worth investigating, since I assume pulling the top off the engine and checking rings/valves is the first port of call.
Since I’m not too mechanically minded, this would need to be done by a garage and I’m guessing it would be pricey.

Alternatively should I just keep topping up the oil as needed. I mostly need this car as a workhorse to get me up and down the country carrting a fair amount of equipment relating to my job. So it was purchased as a ‘drive it into the ground’ car come van daily ather than anything else.

Replies:
Posted By: p11primeragt
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 6:21pm
Qgs can use a lot of oil.

If the power is still normal then just carry on topping up,unless it's smoking much.

It's a strip down and rebuild. It's a design fault really, they bored out the qg15de engine for more cc hence the 1800cc therefore weakening it.The bores often distort.

Wet and dry Compression check will tell you if its the bores/rings or if it's somewhere else.

Posted By: Noddydog
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 10:02pm
Nope, no smoke at the moment.

Print Page | Close Window