Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > New Members
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Severe Juddering on Accelerator Use

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phantom Engineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Severe Juddering on Accelerator Use
    Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 8:43pm
Hi!
I'm the happy owner - usually - of a 2005 Hatchback 1998cc, now with 108k on the clock.

In the last week or so a severe judder has appeared when I use the accelerator. My mechanic had the care for four days, and having completed a service only a few days previously, checked for all the standard potential faults, and a few discovered from these forums: spark plugs, ignition coils, air leak, fuel line, etc. He eventually thought he'd sorted the problem when dealing with an earthing issue on the rear lights, as related here-abouts.

However, 24 hours later the problem has re-appeared....! I'm no mechanic at all, but have looked on these topic postings, and can't see anything that he hasn't already considered/looked at.

On the first use of the day, or if it's been standing for a longer while, there is no problem. The car runs well with seemingly no issues. If I stop the car, and leave it parked for half an hour let's say, the juddering starts straight away on starting, in low and high gears and revs, and whenever I put a little pressure on the accelerator. The engine management warning light comes on fully, or it flashes, and a message regarding the engine management system appears. The car doesn't stall, and on idle you wouldn't think there was an issue.

Has anybody got any thoughts I can pass onto my mechanic?
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 9:00pm
If the EML is coming on and not just flashing it would be worth reading the code with a ob2 code reader next time which would help big time in pinpointing the problem.

It would seem like it's a fuelling issue, maybe to a faulty sensor.

timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 8:52am
Hi and welcome to the forumHandshake

You can read the codes manually

http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/p12-all-engines-read-reset-ecu-fuel-pump_topic54932.html

when you do it correctly just count the flashes of the light it will give a repeating sequence of four digits, 10 flashes representing zero

http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/nissan-primera-p12-engine-management-light-reset_topic54280.html

Phantom Engineer View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phantom Engineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 1:05pm
Hi!
Solution found and put in my place, if not by me.
I'm posting this as a possible solution to this type of issue if faced by anybody else.
When a proper diagnostic was carried out by a mate with the requisite hook up, he and it quickly identified that the judder was caused by a misfire in one of the cylinders. But it could not tell him the exact nature of the fault.
He first tried swopping the individual cylinder coils, spark plugs, etc, however, the fault remained particular to the originally identified cylinder.
This, in so far as his expertise told him, left two possible causes. Wiring to that cylinder or a problem with the ECU.
He first tested the connections from the ECU simply by heating and re-setting the solder joints, and tried the car again then.
Bingo! No judder, problem solved, and three weeks later, car still running like a dream after nearly two months of intermittent misery.
He can't explain why, given the solution, that the problem was intermittent, and he's a Service Manager at a main dealer, with thirty years' experience, and who also builds and services his own motorbikes. But there it is, hopefully this answer may be useful to others.
Cheers.
roy.2 View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy.2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 5:45pm
Thanks for the feedback Andy. Thumbs Up   And well done that man for finding the answer to your problem. Handshake
Roy
imckay View Drop Down
NPOC Member
NPOC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imckay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 6:43pm
Good bit of trouble shooting there Thumbs Up

Was it the Joints on the ECU Connector that he reflowed?

It would be the increased vibrations as the Engine Speed increased that would cause the making/breaking of the connection.
 Post Reply Post Reply