Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nissan Primera P11-144 QG18DE Timing chain change
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11-144 QG18DE Timing chain change

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aggel321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 10:42am
Morning All,

now im a wee bit stuck.

Instructions mention crankshaft key facing up and camshafts at -45 and +45 respectively from 90 degree straight up position for TDC NO.1.

However No.1 is at TDC (tested) and crankshaft key faces down and not up. Noticed that the manual is for Sentra 03. Should be the same QG motor but there are differences in intake sprocket and also minor layout (i.e. hex position on camshafts and the oil solenoid).

Now do I go with the actual position (crankshaft yellow mark faces left as should) or turn further.

Axel
Nissan Primera Sport 1.8L Saloon X-Reg
bricktop View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricktop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 11:46am
It's been a couple of years since I did the QG18DE on the missus P12 but from what I remember it is a simple case of putting the crank pulley on and setting the engine to TDC with the markings on the engine. Then put the crank sprocket on then match up the chain to the dots on the sprockets. Stick the crank pulley back on and give it a few turns by hand to make sure everything lines up correctly.

Saying that I can not remember how the crank sprocket was when it was at TDC but I do remember setting the cams at -45 and + 45.
Aggel321 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aggel321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 12:40pm
That doesnae look healthy imho...

Axel
Aggel321 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aggel321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 12:43pm
And another try...

Axel
Ant-Dat View Drop Down
NPOC Legend
NPOC Legend
1998 Primera GT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ant-Dat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 6:58pm
that's fubar
I'd download the p11-144 manual and use that

SB "he isn't human, he is a machine that never falter
Aggel321 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aggel321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 8:18pm
And now adding insult to injury the cover is cracked when we didnt find the last bolt.

But fingers crossed EmbarrassedBow DownBow DownBow Down it can be fixed (welded) and I get it back tomoz morning...

Could this be in for the longest-chain-replacement-medal??? Thumbs Up

Axel
Aggel321 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aggel321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2014 at 11:37pm
FINALLY...

all done and dusted... test drive went well HOWEVER noticed the front crossmember is nearly dead...

Any thoughts were to get it as inexpensive as possible?

Axel
redshark1 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redshark1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2014 at 7:17am
Well done on the timing chain, this brings you instant sainthood as far as I'm concerned!

You are welcome to my notes on this subject, contributed by other members:

Front Crossmember):

There are two different types that can be used for the P11 - 144:

part: 625302J030 used from 96-99

and : 625309F530 used from 96-02

there doesn't seem to be any pattern to usage either. gotta love Nissan's logic.

Non genuine panel £155 eBay.or autopanels of Castleford

Even cheaper here at £98  http://www.clevelandpanels.com/nissan/nissan-primera-p11-99-02.html

A garage repair is around £180 parts for a non genuine panel plus many hundreds in labour so it's worth attempting to stop the rust in this area. It’s possible to save money by cutting out the rusty part of the panel and welding in part of the new panel if you can find a good welder prepared to do this.

I promise you that going to Nissan will give you a heart attack when they quote you, or it will make you bankrupt, or both!! Don't waste your time even picking up the phone, or the fuel to go and visit them.

The front panel that you need, is available from many motorfactors and panel suppliers (yes it's NON Nissan) but will be fine, it will also be considerably less expensive!

http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/nissan-primera-p12-cross-member_topic61070.html?

Now you need to shop around, as you could find it for less!! You need to do the legwork on that one.

The amount of labour that goes into the change is quite scary too.. Read this thread for info on that and it also includes some costings, based on another members experience (he did NOT use Nissan!):

http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/nissan-primera-p12-front-crossmember-issue_topic36054_page1.html

See my Nissan Primera P11-144 common faults and fixes guide:
Ant-Dat View Drop Down
NPOC Legend
NPOC Legend
1998 Primera GT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ant-Dat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2014 at 8:35am
depends on what you mean by crossmember, the crossmember is really the part that goes front to back with the 2 engine mounts. which I don't think is your issue,
I'm guessing you actually mean the Radiator support panel

sadly the 144 panel is the most expressive Nissan do just the lower section but the cost is well ove3r £300 so it easier/ cheaper to buy an after market one.
Your will need to cut and weld in the new part, when i'm doing them i usually cut up the new panel and just use the lower section by sectioning it in

SB "he isn't human, he is a machine that never falter
Aggel321 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aggel321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2014 at 11:49am
Thx for your replies... Smile

CP adds VAT to the £97. Found http://www.nicedeals.co.uk/index.php?cPath=1_273_365 who have the price inc VAT... Wink At least it seems so... Maybe adding it when proceeding...

Well, Ant & Steve, I am thinking of replacing it as a whole so that only bolting and no welding is involved... Will need to find out how to preserve it the best way...

But this will be quoted by the bestest garage I found so far... But thats all future music...

And yes, I cannae move anymore today... Every bone/muscle hurts like hell...

Axel
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>