Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11-144 - Wipers Sticking

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjdean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P11-144 - Wipers Sticking
    Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 7:16am
I got the age old problem of the wipers sticking on intermittent mode. They freeze at the top of the screen and on the next cycle, they come back down. 

Watching the wiper motor, it sort of flexes away from the body of the car.

Unfortunately I can't get the wiper arms off for love nor money so can't take the black grill off and get to the linkage. Sprayed as much WD40 as I could find through the grill and it seems to have helped slightly.

If I lift the wiper arms, they rock around like anything, but return to being solid and stable when in contact with the screen.

Im guessing this is because as spindles are, I've read, plastic and the whole linkage and motor will need to be replaced? Preferably from a P11?

Best to use an extractor for getting the arms off?

Thanks
Simon
RS Tom-Hundred View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member
Condiment King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RS Tom-Hundred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 11:01am
The arms can be a bugger to get off!  But if you fold them up and rock them back and forwards whilst pulling hard they should eventually come off with lots of persuasion!

You are correct in that the body of the wiper spindles are plastic and wear very easily causing issues.  It is the P10 Primera which has the metal body spindles but these are getting rare to find and if a set come up on here they are generally snapped up at a decent premium!

Good luck getting it sorted Thumbs Up  Get the arms off so you can remove the scuttle panel and get to the spindles.  It could also be the knuckle joint where the rod attaches to the spindle or motor popping off too.  There are custom clips available on ebay to solve this one I believe so may not be a spindle issue.

shurv View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shurv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 12:48pm
It could also be the motor and fix is here.    http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/p11-fixing-the-wipers-autopark-function_topic35006.html

imckay View Drop Down
NPOC Member
NPOC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imckay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 8:03pm
Very likely to be the motor. Quite a common fault.
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2014 at 9:06pm
If the wiper arms are extremely tight,just get the tool for removal.Cost's about a fiver.
andyrox View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyrox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 11:15am
Originally posted by sjdean sjdean wrote:

I got the age old problem of the wipers sticking on intermittent mode. They freeze at the top of the screen and on the next cycle, they come back down. 

Watching the wiper motor, it sort of flexes away from the body of the car.

Unfortunately I can't get the wiper arms off for love nor money so can't take the black grill off and get to the linkage. Sprayed as much WD40 as I could find through the grill and it seems to have helped slightly.

If I lift the wiper arms, they rock around like anything, but return to being solid and stable when in contact with the screen.

Im guessing this is because as spindles are, I've read, plastic and the whole linkage and motor will need to be replaced? Preferably from a P11?

Best to use an extractor for getting the arms off?

Thanks
Simon

This is exactly the issue I'm having with my 2001 P11 144 wipers.  I've bought a wiper motor from an auto recycling company, so need to attempt to fit it in the near future.   Last year I had a linkages problem (wipers became very squeaky, and then wipers just failed completely) which was fixed by the garage - so was reasonably sure it was something to do with the motor this time.
redshark1 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redshark1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 6:43pm
Careful not all extractors work Embarrassed I advise patience and following Toms advice.
If replacing mechanism don't worry about it being plastic, you will still only need to replace it the once!
See my Nissan Primera P11-144 common faults and fixes guide:
primera p11 97norway View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote primera p11 97norway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 7:25pm
Hi! I have a nissan primera p11 97mod. Sedan. And i also have this problem with the wiper intermittent. The same as others have described it. When i have the intermittent mode switched on, the wipers stops on top of the wind shield. And then stops again on the way down before they go all the way down the windshield. The wipers stop exactly on the same spots every time. This continues until i switch the intermittent mode off. The wipers begin to move when the intermittent relay switchs on and they stop when the relay shuts off. The fast wiper modes work as normal. So i ordered an used wiper motor to the car and replaced it. But it did not solve the problem. The wipers move exactly the same way as before replacement. So i ordered a New relay to try fix the problem, but it did not help anything. The wipers move exactly the same way. So i have searched the internet to try find the problem and then i found this forum and i hope you guys can help me out. Is there a chance to try fix the motor folowing this how to guide http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/p11-fixing-the-wipers-autopark-function_topic35006.html? As i have replaced the motor with an other used motor, it May be a chance that it have the same motor problem. But it act exactly the same way. So i dont know, the problem May not be the motor. Im sorry for my bad english :) please help me out!
imckay View Drop Down
NPOC Member
NPOC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imckay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 8:13pm
Welcome to NPOC

It is quite a common problem.
Very likely that the used motor you ordered has the same problem.
Try the how-to guide. Quite easy.

Your English is fine.Thumbs Up
Difficult to read. Start a new line once in a while Big smile
primera p11 97norway View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote primera p11 97norway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 8:20pm
Also! Even when i have detached the motor, the relay act the wrong way. I can hear the clicks for on and off doesnt match to a correct intertellent to the wipers...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>