Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nissan Primera P12 diesel, slow starting in cold
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 diesel, slow starting in cold

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petterg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 diesel, slow starting in cold
    Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 3:39am
Engine: F9Q
Winter is coming and I've noticed that when parked over night and outside temperatures are around 0C my engine takes longer than usual to start. Not that it's any problem, yet, but I'm thinking it might be a warning that there will be a problem starting when it gets colder.
Normally this car starts within 2 seconds holding the key in start position, even in winter. Now, at 0C outside, it takes more like 5 seconds to start. On days when outside temperature is more than 3C, it starts within 2 seconds, as normal.

I suspect the glowing system to be the cause of this. BUT, I've had a failing glow relay before, and that caused the glow indicator light to not show before starting. Now the glow indicator comes on as normal.
I've had a glow plug failure before as well. That did throw a fault code, with a red warning light in the dash. And even with a totally dead glow plug, the engine did start within the normal 2 seconds, even in -10C.

As a result of the mentioned events, I replaced all of the glow plugs and and the relay a few years ago.

As far as I know, there isn't really anything else to the glow system. What else could be causing this?
Battery is good - starter turns the engine in normal speed. Fuel filter issues should be showing other symptoms as well, which this car does not show.
petterg View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petterg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 4:34pm
This morning it was -1C outside. Then I measured the glowplugs. The resistance between glowplug + and a screw on the engine block was 0.53, 0.55, 0.67 and 0.69 ohms. While all plugs were disconnected I had 11.95V on the wires while glowing. Battery voltage was 12.43V while glowing. When switching ignition off, the voltage on the wires dropped to 10.65V, and it stayed there until one of the wires got connected to a glowplug. Then the voltage dropped to 0 quickly. All cables had the same voltage.
What I find strange is that 11.95V is quite a drop from 12.43V when there should be no current running in the circuit, other than the voltmeter. Does this indicate current leaking to ground in the glow circuit?
petterg View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petterg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2020 at 5:53pm
Seems like the issue was some kind of bad connection to the glowplugs. After I disconnected them all to measure the plugs, the problem has not occurred.
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2020 at 10:29am
Hopefully that is a resultThumbs Up
petterg View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petterg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 2:31pm
Problem is back. Reconnecting glow cables does not help this time. When outside temp is -8C starter has to run for almost 20 sec before it starts.
petterg View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petterg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 5:28am
Outside temperature climbed from -10ish to +5C. With warm weather it starts without any hesitation. But it also started to throw fault code P0670 on every cold start. Letting the engine run for a few minutes, then restart, and the fault code is gone. If restarted too soon after a cold start, the fault is still there. So, obviously something is wrong with the glowing system. I just can't figure out what it is.
If the glow relay was screwed, it wouldn't have started at all in the cold. All glow plugs resistance is in the range 0,5-0,7ohms while installed. All plugs gets voltage around 12V while glowing. What could be causing this issue when all measurements seems ok?
I'm tempted to order new glow plugs just for the lack of alternatives.
roy.2 View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy.2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 10:20am
Take your Glowplugs out and test them on a battery, they should glow White Hot, not just Red Hot. You may find one is starting to fail.  You can get 4 x Bosch/NGK ones here for less than £30.00  Thumbs Up
If yours have been in a couple of years, it maybe worth renewing them.
Roy
petterg View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petterg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 2:58pm
Thanks for the tip on testing the plugs.

They are from 2016. This car has only been driving 35,000km with them. I'm disapointed by their lifetime. My other P12 has been driven 140,000km over 11years without any glow plug issues.

I just realized that my parts supplier had new plugs for €2.5 + shipping, so I ordered 8 plugs with combined shipping. Wonder if they'll send it, as the price should probably have been €12.5.
roy.2 View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy.2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 11:24pm
That is a great price for Glowplugs. Thumbs Up
Roy
petterg View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petterg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 8:06pm
Yeah. I wouldn't miss that opportunity, so full set of plugs to both cars. If I ever need two glow plugs, I saved money on this purchase. The package is on it's way. As these plugs are the same for many cars, having some in stock might come handy for someone else as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>