Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nissan Primera P12 won't start - Key symbol NATS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 won't start - Key symbol NATS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 won't start - Key symbol NATS
    Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 7:23am
Hi everyone!

I was looking for some info on how to get my car working again, when I stumbled upon this awesome forum. I have read all the threads I could find, but nothing seems to work for me. Here is a description of my problem:

My car has been standing around outdoors in the cold for 2-3 weeks between uses. I have had to jump start it the last 2 times I used it, and resort to using the manual key rather the electronic door opener. Even a 30 min drive on the freeway did not seem like enough to charge to battery enough. Last time I tried jump starting, it did not work. I tried replacing the battery with a brand new one. the battery was only 2 years old, so I thought it should have lasted longer. Now I can get into the car with the electronic door opener. When I turn the key all the electronics start up, including headlights, but the starter does not crank. I can barely hear a faint "spinning" noise for a second (sounds like something rotating quietly). The red car symbol with a key in front of it lights up about 3 seconds after the other symbols, and remains lit (but does not flash). I am not sure if this was the case before the battery change. From reading the owners manual,  understand this symbol means that something is wrong with the NATS (Nissan Anti Theft System). I tried my second key, with the same result. I tried disconnecting the negative pole on the battery for 10 minutes, like someone suggested on this forum. I have checked the fuses. I recently accidentally left a window open for 2 weeks, leading to a little bit of moisture on the inside of the car, which may have something to do with it. Any recommendations?

Eternally thankful for any help I can get!
Estyfort View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Estyfort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 6:38pm
I'll suggest you have it scanned to read the code(s). I had a similar experience only last week. My wife drove the car into the garage, switched the engine off and had occasion to start the car again but it wouldn't start. It cranked a few times, and thereafter won't crank again. I scanned and pulled a P1614 code. Turns out the car immobilizer housed in the Smart Entrance Control Unit had packed up. I got a used unit, and programmed the key(s) back in. I have a scan tool and a key programmer. 
Dan_A View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 11:07am
Thanks a lot for the reply Estyfort

Any idea how much the scanning device and key programmer will cost if I buy them?
Estyfort View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Estyfort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 9:33pm
Difficult for me to say. But I'd say nothing less than $300. It's a worthwhile investment, however.
petterg View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petterg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 4:11am
You'll find a bluetooth ODB2 adapter on ebay for €10-20. Install Torque Lite app on your phone and you have a scanner.
Estyfort: Where did you get a key programmer? Does it work even if you don't have any working key? (Key programming without any special tool I think requires one working key to "copy".)
Estyfort View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Estyfort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by petterg petterg wrote:

Estyfort: Where did you get a key programmer? Does it work even if you don't have any working key? (Key programming without any special tool I think requires one working key to "copy".)
You could get them online. For the P12, you could use CK-100 for example. You don't necessarily have to proceed with a working key. As a matter of fact, a working key would still have to be deleted before successful programming. The concern should be getting the PIN code, although I can always help out  if necessary.
 Post Reply Post Reply