Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11 144 ignition barrel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dannyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P11 144 ignition barrel
    Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 7:48pm
hello all..im hoping someone can help me,,the ignition barrel on my 2000 p-11 (1.8) seems to be failing, when i insert the key i have to pull it towards the steering wheel and turn the key at the same time..this method does not always work and i find myself stuck for 5 mins or so trying to get it to turn i have took the steering column covers off to have a look and i find that the barrel is riveted on instead of being bolted on ,as i originally hoped it would be, im sure someone here before has had this problem and if so what can i do to sort out this mess.

Thanking you.
essNchill View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Nissyen Gaius Fluff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essNchill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 8:30pm
Hi Danny and a big welcome to NPOC

I have edited your thread title and made sure it starts with "Nissan Primera P11 144.." - Please keep on top of that (it is explained in our forum rules):

Point 2)

Many thanks and take care,
Shaun
dannyo View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dannyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 8:49pm
ok thank you
Crash Override View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crash Override Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 8:54pm
Ok, First, they aren't rivets, they're shear head bolts. Using a dremel you can cut a slot in the head and unscrew them, or you can tap it round using a hammer and thin metal chisel.

That said it's unlikely the ignition barrel is worn, more likely the key is. If the key looks worn then I would strongly suggest you get the key number from Nissan and get a locksmith to cut you a new key from the code. (No point copying the key you're copying the wear too.) Or get Nissan to cut you the blade. When you remove the horseshoe from the fob you will see a plastic piece in the old horseshoe, remove it carefully and transfer it to the new key blade, then reassemble the fob. Shouldn't cost too much as you aren't having the transponder chip replaced or the car re-coded. This will tell you if the key is worn (likely) or the barrel is (unlikely) and at least give you a decent starting point.

The key, if you insert a screwdriver into the slot and twist the fob will detach from the key horseshoe.

Horseshoe with transponder chip in place (The blue bit)

Key stripped. Be careful with the blue part, it's the most important bit of the key.

With enough determination and solder, anything can be connected to anything.
 Post Reply Post Reply