Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 - Engine sound when on idle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greased Monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 8:41pm
Sounds exactly like the noise mine made when the exhaust front mount broke. The exhaust was just about tapping on the crossmember under the front. Local exhaust place welded it for ten quid. Grab the exhaust (when it's cold) and see if it rattles about.
Ooops. I broke it again.
Tommyaleks View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tommyaleks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2014 at 2:50am
Hi. The first thing you need to to is to take a recording from the engine bay and not inside the car. it is wherry difficult to hear what exactly what that is.

What you need to do is to take a long screw driver and make a search for the bad sound. hold the tip of the screw driver on to the different parts on the engine and the other end of the screw driver onto your ear. you will hear the bad sound.

Alternator: Can also make bad sounds on and off. use the screw driver to lisson to the bearings. if you don`t hear a bearing sound the bearings are ok. if you hear a even a little brush sound or something from them, the bearings are bad or are on the way to be bad.

Make sure all the plastic covers are tight and not loose. make also sure that the belt has no damage at all. Make also sure that the belt is correct tighten.

This is just a few things you can look for, but like I was say, use the screw driver as your medical device.
cxyra View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cxyra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2014 at 11:58am
Yesterday i was at the mecanic and said that if it was a bearing the sound should be present alawys and not intermitent as mine. First he was thinking that the noise is hearing from EGR, he disassembled and cleaned it out (it was very dirty), and with this occasion it resolved my other problem with hessitation (thoug i still sensed last night only once a little hesitation in third gear at 3200 RPM, but only once after all the testing on the road ) and now it runs a lot better still need to test it this days to see if the hessitation completely dissapeard. So after all the testing with the mecanic in the car and with tester conected as we stopped at his workshop i said to him to accelerate as i did in the video and the noise still could be heard but this time very little and between 1200 - 1000 RPM as it dropped. I popped the hood and said to him that the noise when i was first heard it was from the left side of the engine drom alternator area, and he said someting about " that someting from rotor of the alternator or something it slips " and this is the cause of this. I would have to go back to him to check that out because he didn't have the time yesterday. After i left from him i drove about 20 km and stopped the car then i rev the car as before and the sound appeard again as show in video. Honestly iot drives me crazy, i rezolve one problem and then another appears :)))) so i will take your advices into consideration and try to shoot from engine area but i don't thing it will hear the sound much better (i'm filming with a iphone 4s).
I will come back and tell you what i discovered. THX :D
Tommyaleks View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tommyaleks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2014 at 12:12pm
I agree, the sound will be present all the time but it all depens on the noise level of it, sometime it`s wherry low noise level and sometimes it`s loud noise. I hade the same problem., I used a screw driver and did confirm that bearings was bad. But it can also be other things. just liston for it :)
cxyra View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cxyra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2014 at 8:26pm
@p11primeragt, i made a video of the top of the engine from camsaft, to me it look like its getting oil, it is good ? (link below) As for the sound i didn't hear it from last night when i was testing the car for hessitation and today aswell i start the car almost 10 times and tried to reporduce the sound and its gone for now. If it will appear again i will take a recording from engine area and try the metode with the screwdriver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdcYXBetuzk&feature=youtu.be  
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2014 at 8:33pm
There is some oil,how soon did you take the vid after having run the engine ?

If it was a oil issue it would likely make that noise all the time,not intermittent,i think it's one of your belts possibly loose.
cxyra View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cxyra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2014 at 9:38pm
I looked with the engine OFF, after i did the earth fix to the both of the rear headlights, so after 40 min - 1 hour but the engine wasn't warmed up, from home to the place where i did the earth fix i maked 800 m. I don't think that is the blets or bearing issue because i didn't hear the sound from last night and today. We'll see if it will show itself again these days, hope not :))
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2014 at 10:23pm
Check your exhaust mounts then if you don't think it's belts etc,somebody else mention it was the exhaust on there car.
Electrolyte View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Electrolyte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2014 at 11:38pm
You will need to pull and push on various points of the exhaust to see if you can hear it hitting something.
The sound also reminds me of a drive belt dancing on the overrun, again pull and push on the alternator and the a/c compressor to see if there is any movement caused by a broken bracket or loose bolts.
A stretched belt will also dance on the overrun.
If in doubt give it a clout!
cxyra View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cxyra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 6:14pm
A lossen belt could make the car to hessitate as i shown in the videos from my other problem that i posted on this forum "Nissan Primera P12 2.2di - Hessitatio" ? (say it the belt from alternator that is loosen thoug i don't have any issue with electrical as far as i know, the lights are good) The sound appeard today again but i could record it because i was alone :))
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>