Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11 radiator fan not working

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P11 radiator fan not working
    Posted: 15 Jul 2022 at 8:08am
Thumbs Up 

thanks for letting us know the outcome
Oroboros View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oroboros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2022 at 10:40pm
I no longer have a problem!

The reason I tried to troubleshoot why the fans didn't spin was because it overheated once when my dad was working on it. He had left it on for about 15 minutes and the radiator cap popped.

Then we found out that the fans didn't spin. We checked my mom's car and they went off and on. So we thought the fans were the problem. We did test them by taking them out and connecting them to another car battery. They worked flawlessly.

But today I tested if it actually overheated. I connected my PC to the car and started monitoring the engine temp while I had the engine on. 

Aaaaaaand... no overheating.

It hit 98C and the fans came on. It went up to 98C again and the fans came on.

Moral of the story is "Don't trust your dad".

We have no idea why it overheated that one time
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2022 at 9:02am
Hi and welcome to the forumHandshake

Hopefully a P11 member may come along and advise.

ae you certain  the water temp is reaching a temperature which switches the fan on? do you know the fans work? As far as I know one fan is for air con hte other for engine cooling have a look here

https://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/nissan-primera-p11-20td-cooling-fans-question_topic76276_post936292.html?KW=cooling+fan#936292

Oroboros View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oroboros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2022 at 9:21pm
Hello!

I bought a P11 1997 model as my first car and it has been great, except for one thing. When the temp sensor (on the top left of the engine) is plugged in, the radiator fans don't spin. 

Tried swapping the fan relay with the fog light relay and the fog light still worked so it wasn't that. Checked the continuity from the fans to relay and relay to battery. All of which worked. Then I swapped the temperature sensor with a new one and that didn't help either.

When I discovered the fan issue I ordered a consult to USB adapter. Got it today and tried "DataScan I" and "Conzult". I got error code 13 "Engine temp sensor error" from "Conzult" when the temp sensor wasn't connected and no error when it was connected. The fan control in "Conzult" worked FYI.

Does anyone have an idea of what could be wrong? Thanks in advance :)
 Post Reply Post Reply