Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > New Members
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engine wont start

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthedodger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine wont start
    Posted: 10 Dec 2019 at 5:47pm
 Hi can anyone help me please.  My 2005 1.8 Primera was running perfectly but would not lock off the fob even after putting in new battery.  This has been happening on and off for several months now but when it happens I start the engine and immediately switch it off and it then locks using the fob.  However it stopped doing this on Sunday and thus couldn't lock it except from inside on the central console button which would have been fine if I'd stayed inside it all night!!  So on getting out all the doors unlocked and we're back to square one.  Then I tried switching the ignition on and off 6 times within 10 seconds and then pressing the fob buttons (press and hold down the unlock button and then press the lock button 3 times before releasing both buttons) to re-programme the fob to lock and unlock the car.  However that made no difference and what is more,  the car will now not start either.  It turns over beautifully but will just not fire up.  I have been offered £140 by the local scrapman which I am about to accept unless anyone has any idea how I may get it going.  Thanks for any help and advice.
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2019 at 6:40pm
Sounds like a NATS issue (Nissan Anti Theft System) you should see a red car and key icon on the dash. I suspect you have lost the programming from Key to Car. Take the the fob battery out (make sure it is new and not out of date)  and try to re-program again.

As far as locking you car. you can do this from the passenger side pressing the lock button on the centre console, you will find a hidden lock on the passenger door, just gently prise of the plastic cover on the outside handle and all will be revealed. Thumbs Up

rogerthedodger View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthedodger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 8:59pm
Have changed battery again, seems to work the locks but still wont start, no red car or key on the display panel, so that must be ok. Engine tries to start but goes no further.  Thanks for your suggestions anyway.
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 9:20pm
In any case with the key in either the lock or accessory position you should see the car with the key in it symbol should be blinking. If you have a malfunction the light remains on when you move the key to to the on position.

If the NATS is malfunctioning the light will turn on after flashing six times in the on position, if however the light then turns off after 15 minutes you can start the engine once to get it to a garage or home in that situation. If the light remains on then the key needs re-coding by the dealer..

I take it you have no spare key.
pianoprimera View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pianoprimera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2019 at 1:26pm
Just to add: I've been using the centre console button to lock my P12 Estate for years!! (a) because I'm a miser (b) mine's the old soft rubber keys that disintegrate. You can lock it from the driver's seat and get out the drivers door. As previously mentioned, we use a key in the passenger door. 

Sorry no suggestions for main problem.  
 Post Reply Post Reply