Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > New Members
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Exhaust for p11-144 1.8L

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Member
NPOC Member

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exhaust for p11-144 1.8L
    Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 9:56pm
Hi All, my 1.8L active’s exhaust is looking pretty ropey, possibly the cat too.
Does anyone have any advice on a replacement? Would a stainless steel version be prohibitively expensive?
The car’s in excellent shape & I think it still has years of driving left in it...
pianoprimera View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pianoprimera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2019 at 1:44pm
Unless it's failed an MOT on the cat. or keeps throwing a check engine light (and it's not just sensors) I'd leave well alone. There are methods of cleaning a cat. - which many will greatly disapprove of - but a tank of hot soapy water does clean them out if you can get it off without destroying it. Others suggest injecting stuff (some crazy ideas like cellulose thinners) into the fuel!! I'd just use Redex myself.

Bet it's the original exhaust . . . my 2002 is still on the original. I'd go for the cheapest option from a non franchise exhaust bay myself, as any larger amounts of money spent would not be recoverable from insurance if either your car (or my car) was wrecked. I just laugh all the way to the bank with a Primera and it's £140 annual insurance premium :) - whilst still caring for it intensely alongside my 2008 Colt and a shared 2008 Vectra.
Longbow View Drop Down
NPOC Member
NPOC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2020 at 8:26pm
Thanks for the great advice, took it to my local garage & it needed 2 sections which are being done at a good price. It’s just a shame the parts are no longer stock items - ah well.
Decided to get the alternator belt changed while it’s on the lift; looked to be the original & thought that after 18 years a new one was safest. Good job it has a timing chain...
I’m hoping there’ll be no more mechanical expense for a while & look forward to some enjoyable driving!
 Post Reply Post Reply