Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nissan Primera P12 Screen Console Sat Nav Probs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 Screen Console Sat Nav Probs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3839404142 82>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popswoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2009 at 10:35am
Well done Kieran.
I have just come back from a weekend away to find this good news.
A bit of information for others attempting this good fix.
The transistor at fault is in the middle of the 3 blue coils & at the bottom of the board .
The white glue(Which is quite hard)is stuck to the top of the transistor & also around the diameters of the 3 blue coils in effect making the transistor & the 3 blue coils one unit so applying pressure to the blue coils will also apply pressure to the transistor at the same time.
Your idea of a plastic packing piece is great & can be done by most people providing the thickness of the plastic is carefully measured so as not to apply to much pressure to the coils & transistor.
We are still trying to get some replacement boards & are waiting for replies from Nissan UK & Nissan Japan.
Will update if I get any replies.
Popswoo
kieran View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kieran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2009 at 10:25pm
Hi there Popswoo,
         I wandered where you were....:-). You sure seem to know what you are talking about. Is your screw still doing the job? I have to be honest and say that when I drove my car tonight the screen went out again. I took the side panel off and reached behind the DVD and tapped it which bought it all back to life. I think it means my piece of plastic isnt quite tight enough. Do you think I should attempt the screw or leave it a bit longer and see how much hassle it gives me? It would be great if we can all get replacement boards, it would save a lot of hassle and be easy to replace.

It is great that we are all finding the final cure to this problem, it has been driving us mad for months. Well done popswoo! 
kb
bluey View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2009 at 7:55am
This is excellent information, for the past twelve months I have had no sat nav or console controls, yesterday after reading your tips I immediately stripped down the console and removed the sat nav unit.

I then open the silver box exactly as you detailed, however there must have been a modification as I was confronted by another cover plate with a rod going through it and a  contact mounted either side, but I could just about see the blue resitor/capacitor in the bottom left hand side.

Understanding your tip on how they appear to come loose my only option was to fold a business card and wedge it between the top of the capacitor/resistor and the body of the box, this I forced in with some pressure with the end of a screwdriver, I then coupled everthing back together and Hey! Bingo!

I am delighted please pass this valuable info on to all those guys out there.

Bluey.
popswoo View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popswoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2009 at 12:30pm
Hi Kieran.
Sorry to hear it has stopped working.
Yes my screw is still working.
Bob White has had a reply from Nissan Japan & they will only sell us a new dvd unit.
Bob`s email is enclosed.
I have not yet received a reply from Nissan customer services technical dept but will post if I do.
My next move is to contact Xanavi in Japan who are the manufacturers.
Bob White from Portsmouth is sending me his board for repair so I will try it on my car & then send it back to Bob.
I am today going to remove my board & take the screw out & replace it with rubber stick on pads on top of the 3 coils and build up the height with the pads so as to give constant pressure between the metal cover & the 3 coils.
This may save everyone have to drill for the screw & will be much easier to fit if it works.
I will take stage photos of which part of the metal box to remove & where to fit the rubber pads.
I am going to use the stick on rubber pads that are used to stop kitchen unit doors from banging when closed.

Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 9:03 AM
Subject: RE: Parts for Satellite Navigation DVD Player

> February 17, 2009
>
>
> Dear Bob:
>
>
> Thank you for your e-mail dated February 11, 2009, concerning spare parts for your Nissan Primera.  First of all, we appreciate your patronage of Nissan product.
>
> With regard to your inquiry, we regret to inform you that Nissan Motor Co. Ltd. can supply our customers with a satellite navigation DVD player
> not as parts but a whole player.  Therefore we are sorry that we cannot meet your request to supply you with the requested part.
>
> We are sorry that we cannot be of assistance to you in this regard but your understanding will be highly appreciated. 
>
> Sincerely,
>
>
>
> Chikako TAGUCHI
> Customer Communication Center

Regards

Popswoo
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2009 at 12:51pm
A cop out email at the moment as you would expect.
Looking at the replies coming in with various remedies to the same fix it is becoming obvious that IT IS the same component giving the problem. This is clearly a manufacturing/material defect and the more evidence that is produced to show people are:-
A) have the same problem
B) what they are having to do to solve it,

should spur them into a more robust reply/action.
Keep the pressure on fellas.
popswoo View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popswoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2009 at 2:57pm
Hi All.
I have just received a reply from Nissan customer services as follows.

Dear Mr Wooster

I write in reference to your recent correspondence with Nissan Customer Services.

New Nissan vehicles come with a three year or 60,000 mile, whichever comes first, pan European warranty. As your vehicle is now 7 years outside of this warranty, any repairs on the vehicle will need to be met by you.

There are currently no outstanding recalls, or known concerns relating to your vehicle.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

Kind regards

Emma Moore

Case Manager

Nissan Customer Services

Siamese Duke View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siamese Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2009 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by kieran kieran wrote:

My P12 02 plate has probably just regained £1000 in value again

I told the bloke who bought my blown P12 that if he wanted to break the car, the satnav/display system would probably fetch a grand and a half on its own.

He'll have to downgrade that to a couple of sticks of chewing gum and a Werthers Original now.....

Incidentally, not a dickey-bird from him. My guess is that he has discovered that a 2004 73k miler Dci is worth rather less than the 3000-3500 quid he thought it was
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2009 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by popswoo popswoo wrote:

Hi All.
I have just received a reply from Nissan customer services as follows.

Dear Mr Wooster

I write in reference to your recent correspondence with Nissan Customer Services.

New Nissan vehicles come with a three year or 60,000 mile, whichever comes first, pan European warranty. As your vehicle is now 7 years outside of this warranty, any repairs on the vehicle will need to be met by you.

There are currently no outstanding recalls, or known concerns relating to your vehicle.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

Kind regards

Emma Moore

Case Manager

Nissan Customer Services

No known concerns, I think we beg to differ, they they hitting with our KNOWN issue
popswoo View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popswoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2009 at 3:13pm
Hi All.
My reply to Nissan customer services as follows.
Dear Emma Moore.

Thank you for your very disappointing & incorrect reply.

Firstly your email states that my car is 7 years outside the warranty ,My car is actually year September 2002 so it is just over 3 years out of warranty.

Secondly you state that there are currently no outstanding recalls ,or known concerns relating to my vehicle.

This again is incorrect as you are currently receiving emails from P12 owners raising concerns about the faulty pcb board fitted to the dvd unit & I remind you that some of these dvd units have not worked for years & the fault has been reported to your dealerships only to be told the dvd unit has to be replaced.

Why do we have to purchase a new dvd when the problem is only with a small inexpensive pcb board.

If you take the time to read your service manual for the P12 you will see that you do have a known concern with the faulty dvd unit as it states instructions to mechanics that to check the dvd heat it up with a hot air gun & if the screen wakes up with the heat - Replace the dvd unit.By heating up the dvd unit this makes the bad solder joints make contact with the pcb board & a small transistor & therefore it works.

We all feel that you or Xanavi should make these pcb boards available for us to purchase as there is a vast difference in cost between a pcb board & a new dvd unit.

If you are in any doubt that there is a known fault with the dvd unit we are able, through our Nissan owners club,to get the many disgruntled P12 owners to email you with their dvd concerns to which you will have to answer.

Please note that in the event that you will not sort this problem out we will petition all known Nissan owners with faulty dvd`s & take it to Watchdog who I am sure will get results.

Please do not fob us off anymore by saying there is no known issue.There is and it is not doing Nissan sales any good.

Yours Faithfully

D.A.Wooster

Stevie-Boy View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Legend Elite

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie-Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2009 at 3:30pm
Boo ya!  Good luck with it, what a generic little fob off reply that was from Ms Moore!
2023 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Member of the Month: Jan 2014
ex P11 Si, P11 GT, P11-144 Sport+, P11 GT Turbo, P11-144 Wagon, Subaru Legacy B4 RSK, 350z, Type R
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3839404142 82>