Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11 Petrol Turbo Conversion?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brendan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2008 at 7:44pm
heh, Bolting on a turbo isn't hard. The Hardest part would be drilling a hole in your block for an oil line. (not hard)

The most expensive part of doing a 'bolt on' would be getting the custom exhaust done. And maybe the intercooler if you don't do it yourself.
Capoeirista View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Capoeirista Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2008 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by Brendan Brendan wrote:

heh, Bolting on a turbo isn't hard. The Hardest part would be drilling a hole in your block for an oil line. (not hard)The most expensive part of doing a 'bolt on' would be getting the custom exhaust done. And maybe the intercooler if you don't do it yourself.

What about the dyno time to tune after fitting, that and some means of remapping the ECU.

Mike
d0n25 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d0n25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2008 at 10:28pm
probably not going to happen, lets face it, if you want performance, look at some more simpler bolt ons a turbo will simply be way to expensive and if done incorrectly will wreck your engine,

Or! save/get a loan for 3 grand and then we're talkin... good luck with whatever you choose mate.. may the prim angels be shinin down on ur face.
Brendan View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brendan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2008 at 8:33am
Personally i think bolt on is cheap...

In NZ$ This is the approx cost for me to do it.

Turbo + manifold $300-$400
Injectors $70-100
Piggyback ecu $200
Intercooler+piping $200-$700(depends if you do yourself or pay someone)
Exhaust (from scratch) $700 - $800

So $1470 to $2200 for a bolt on. Add a bit more if you want like better clutch new fluids etc. Thats if you get the parts from NZ of course. I know parts are a bit more in the UK but so would the whole sr20det motor ;).

A Good Low km/mile Bluebird/avenir det would cost $900 to 1300 and GTIR would be 1500 to 2000 but don't forget you would still need the exhaust + Intercooler and the piggy back ecu would help

$1 NZ = 0.38 uk Pounds

Bolt on vrs STANDARD sr20det the bolt on will win. Due to the compression. If you rebuilt the det with forged internals, bigger turbo etc you can do the exactly the samething to the bolt on setup. Your N/A bolt on WON'T BLOW UP if it is set up correctly. Same as a DET, if its setup wrong you will have problems.

My 2 cents
Stevie-Boy View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Legend Elite

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie-Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2008 at 9:48am
I think bolt on could be reasonably cheap if you could do the work yourself and source cheap parts but there is so much work involved.  The amount of fabrication to do mine was immense and the spec list never ends once you start.

You start off thinking right I need a turbo and then you need a manifold, then you need a downpipe and dumppipe and of course an Intercooler.  Then you realise you really need a new clutch and then you need to fit a metal headgasket and then you might aswell fit forged pistons and the rods whilst you are in there and all new bolts and now you need bigger injectors and a load of gaskets and then you need piping and then loads more piping and then stainless pipe and an adjustable FPR and you want to have a dump valve and then you remember the catback exhaust and then you need a Z32 MAF and the wiring for that and all your gauges and suddenly it's no longer cheap!
2023 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Member of the Month: Jan 2014
ex P11 Si, P11 GT, P11-144 Sport+, P11 GT Turbo, P11-144 Wagon, Subaru Legacy B4 RSK, 350z, Type R
Brendan View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brendan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2008 at 9:56am
A lot of what you just said you need or would do with a sr20det motor anyways... (are we talking about cost, det vrs bolt on??)

Normally the manifold/turbo/dump pipe is one piece.
Or if it isn't i don't see why the dump pipe would be separated from the turbo..

You don't HAVE to have a metal gasket UNLESS your going for high power... if you were then you would of had the head off anyways. I have seen 300+HP builds on a bolt on sr20de+t with factory DE internals/gasket

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Legend Elite

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie-Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2008 at 10:34am

I was just talking about how you said bolt on is cheap, not det versus bolt on.

High power or not, nobody should underestimate the amount of parts you need and once you start, you can't really stop.

Hundred quid for a metal gasket here, hundred and fifty quid for some silicone hosing there, two hundred for a clutch etc etc it soon mounts up.  Even just buying some turbo gaskets and spark plugs and a couple of bits of vac piping and you've just done in another fifty quid.

Plus a mapping session over here will cost £350 plus some more hundreds for decent electronic boost control.

This article from Kev Shek is a great thing to read, very realistic:

Smile
ex P11 Si, P11 GT, P11-144 Sport+, P11 GT Turbo, P11-144 Wagon, Subaru Legacy B4 RSK, 350z, Type R
Brendan View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brendan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2008 at 10:57am
You dont have to have a metal headgasket.

Far, 350 pounds for a tune?

You could always get those JWT ecus from the US.

Or Just use a Bluebird or avenir ECU, just have to match injectors and air MAF
OR buy a consult cable and tune it yourself ^^

Yeah I have read that.

Those prices are VERY high compared to how much you can import them for. 80 pounds for a factory gtir manifold? This is quite pricey
Downpipe? these are normally still attached to the turbo? (unless my down pipe and your down pipe are different things?)

As i said before, I see it cheap as these parts are easily obtained for me. I could easily get a GTIR Manifold for about 10 pound for example.

I have Built both a Bolt on T4 and a "Drop in" T4 (my current one) and Building a in-between ve+t type set up.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Legend Elite

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie-Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2008 at 11:02am

Most people aren't competent enough to sit down with a consult and some software and start tuning their cars without a rolling road and wideband etc and that's even more money right?

JWT are very slow from all accounts, I wouldn't want to send my daughterboard back to USA and wait weeks and weeks anytime I upgrade my spec.

Anyway, I'm just talking from my own experience, not trying to have some sort of argument with you, every spec is different etc. Smile
Brendan View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brendan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2008 at 11:07am
Edited my post :)

Yeah i read that JWT.

Plenty of cars here have been tune without a dyno/"rolling road" We have a 450hp+ turbo t4 in the club that was tuned by simply driving it, but saying that tuner was an expert.

I think this is a debate more than an argument. I enjoy this type discussions :P
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>