Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 Drop Links

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashley-c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 Drop Links
    Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 7:32pm
NEWBIE HERE
JUST HAD THE DROP LINKS REPLACED ON MY P12 53 PLATE TO NO AVAIL REPLACED THE CENTRE EXHAUST BOX BECAUSE THE BAFFELS HAD WORKED LOOSE AN MAKIN A RATTLE NOISE THIS PROVED NOT TO BE THE PROBLEM .WHICH IS A CONSTANT SQUEEK ANDVIBRATING RATTLE FROM THE OFFSIDE FROT SUSPENSION WHEN DRIVING AROUND TOWN THE NOISE WILL BELESS OF A PROBLEM ON HIGH SPEED SMOTH ROADS CAN ANY ONE SUGGEST WOT IT MIGHT BE THE GARAGE THOUGHT THAT THE TOP LINKS WOULD NEED REPLACING BUT THEY CANT BE SURE HAS ANYONE CAME ACCROSS THE SAME PROBLEN
MANY THANKS
ALEX
SteveB View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 10:45pm
Top links can do that, at least on a P11, I didn't know that P12's had top links.  It's a deeper noise (a donk like a hammer on an anvil) than drop links (a genuine rattle).  

Drop links rattle under slightly different circumstances to top links as well, they make a noise on the same sort of surface as top links at slow speed (concrete seams like on industrial estates is good for it) but they get louder as the joints open up when you pitch the car left/right (anti-roll bar working), top links just make noise all the time on bad surfaces at slow speeds and are worse in hot weather (not much of that lately).  P12's could be different of course.
1997 2.0 SLX P11
ashley-c View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashley-c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 3:19am

hi steveB

many thanks for your quick reply
your last sentence hit the nail on the head
only i happened to say to the wife that on this  very frosty morning last month i said to her the noise has gone an we both agreed that it had dissapeared but as the miles went by and the morning heat up it duly returned
so you were right
on a hot day it gets worse
therfore it will be a safe bet that the top links are worn
many many thanks for your help
i will print off your reply and show my local garage it as you know we cant afford the dealers prices all the time and try support the wee man in the street great stuf steveb
alex.
p.s. this is my first time of posting any thing
well impresed again thanks
ashley-c View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashley-c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 3:24am
am that pleased i just want to tell everybody thaks to to STEVE B AGAIN
EVOGT View Drop Down
NPOC Legend
NPOC Legend
Marco 58#

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EVOGT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 8:42am
P12's dont have top links. They just have a conventional set up.
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 11:20am
Sounds like the bushes on the anti roll bar, I would check that first then the bottom ball joint see if there is any damage to the rubber seal and leaking grease.
ashley-c View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashley-c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 11:56am
hi guys we ment to say that its this part here the top arm
we called it a link but as u know its a arm link rather than a drop link
many thanks for your time
and thanks to steveb
 Post Reply Post Reply