Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11 mystery noise from front?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xscottishx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P11 mystery noise from front?
    Posted: 02 Aug 2010 at 7:52pm
This is a long story so please bear with me..
When im driving along there is a very slight little squeak (High pitch). Now when i turn the steering to the right, there is no noise.
When i turn the steering to the left, even slightly, i get a High pitch squeaking and grinding. I have had a few ears onto this one. It actually sound like a solid rubber, rubbing onto metal sound..
I have had it up on a trolley jack and ran the wheel, turning the steering  and everything else to try and get it to happen, but it does not happen when its off the ground. I then jacked up the suspension also to try simulating what happens on the road, but still no noise. I do have my m8, whos a engineer and my other mate who used to work for the AA many moons ago, on the case. And we have pulled and pushed and what ever else to try to get the noise, but NOTHING!!
I took the discs and pads off and swap them round, so that the left set were on the right and the right on the left. But the noise still is there, nothing changed at all.
Also what i forgot to say is it happens more when i even just "touch" the accelerator, its still on the left turn that it is louder but you do hear it a little in a straight line.
So the only thing we think is left is the bearing and the drive shaft.
The drive shaft is new, i changed it 2 months ago. The bearing, i have never looked at, but really does not sound like a bearing noise at all, But it is a rotational grinding! But trust me we have checked all the obvious and more and there is no signs of rubbing or anything.
I do have a little, and i mean little, knock coming from down there somewhere, but all the ball joints and things seem solid.
One last thing, when i fitted the drive shaft, a few days after i noticed when sitting stationary and i lifted the clutch there was a "slight" knock, like there was a little bit of play in the shaft before it actually moved. So if you lifted the clutch up and down rapidly it would "knock knock knock".. And now, i dont think that noise is there, and it has gave me this new grinding squeaky noise instead. Thats why i think its the drive shaft, maybe a faulty one or badly fitted. I dont think badly fitted cause im quite careful when doing things. But i also accept that mistakes happen.
My freinds say its not the drive shaft cause its new and there is nothing really in it that would make that noise. I think it is the drive shaft, dont know why, but to me its either the drive shaft or the bearing, and i never heard a bearing doing this noise before and the wheel has no movement or wobble in it either.
Sorry for the long explainaton, but im just trying my best to describe it. Cause we are totally out of ideas. My m8 says drive round and round in a left hand circle and hope it develops more or breaks! But i could be there for hours, lol. So i just have a little hope that you guys have heard or had the same problem!

Cheers
Lee
Grim View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member

r1pp3R

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2010 at 7:56pm
check abs rings!
Sorry I scraped all those primeras ☹️
xscottishx View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xscottishx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2010 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by grim grim wrote:

check abs rings!

Well its new cause the new shaft came complete with cv joint and everything on it.
Grim View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member

r1pp3R

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2010 at 8:15pm
ok other things to check are your dustplates rubbing this can happen only when turning, also are all your brakes free from dust ect?
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xscottishx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2010 at 8:22pm

ok other things to check are your dustplates rubbing this can happen only when turning, also are all your brakes free from dust ect?

Yea had a look at the dust plates, they seem to be fine, not rubbing or nothing. My mate is adimint that its them, he says it sounds like something like that. But how, they are fixed and so is the disc , so the only way they would rub is if there was something trap between the disc and plates, which there is not.
And the brakes i have totally taken off along with discs and swapped them over to the other side, and the same noise is still there, nothing changed.
Grim View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member

r1pp3R

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2010 at 8:28pm
well it does happen mate , its hard to diagnose this sort of thing without being there to hear it for ones self. but im guessing its the dust plate if you say the driveshaft is new .
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xscottishx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2010 at 8:33pm

well it does happen mate , its hard to diagnose this sort of thing without being there to hear it for ones self. but im guessing its the dust plate if you say the driveshaft is new .

Yea i know mate, its very hard to try and diagnose it with out being there. We are there and we still cant do it. Im just throwing a line and just hoping someone has had the exact same thing. But i can say the noise it is making you would think it was going to be fairly easy to find the problem, but there is no sign of nothing. But thanks very much for you effort anyway, im taking anyones ideas on board. Thumbs Up
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xscottishx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2010 at 10:10pm
Ill set fire to it, gotta be easier.Taz
essNchill View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Nissyen Gaius Fluff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essNchill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2010 at 10:14pm
Hi Lee,

Please note point 2)

I have edited your thread title for you.

Many thanks and take care,
Shaun
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xscottishx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2010 at 10:37pm
Thanks mate, sorry about that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>