Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 2002 Overheating problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craigoneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 2002 Overheating problems
    Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 5:47pm
hi there i had posted allready  just to ask a question what is the sign of overheating i had this problem and i toke to my local garage and they couldnt find anything has anyone had this problem 
foxhole View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxhole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 6:43pm
Again  in English please.
Nissan Primera S - 53plate 2-litre Estate
craigoneil View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craigoneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 6:48pm
hi

i bought a nissan primera estate 2002 reg

i only had it a few days  then  i was  away drive and it started to overheat so i toke it to the garage and they said it was the thermostate i got that chnaged then that night it done it again  so it was in for 2 days  to get checked but they could find anything but  the weird thing is they toke the pump off and put it back on and the fans started to work as they should  is there away to check if the cylinder head is ok   other than takiing it off

hope you can all understand
crazy taxi View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazy taxi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 7:11pm
Depends on how much driving was done when it was over heating, keep an eye on the oil and the coolant. If you get light coloured specs in the oil, or brown specs in the coolant then damage has been done, if you are lucky it will be just the gasket, medium problem is warped head, worst case will be a crack in the block or head
Old enough to know better, too old to change
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 7:18pm

Craig, first before I try to address your problem, you have created a thread in the new members section which is really for saying hello and maybe posting a problem at the same time for the first time. One of the mods is likely to come along and either dump this thread or move it to the general section. You should have updated your original problem thread in the general section if it is still there or started a new one in the general section. Secondly you have not stated your engine type/size as there are several and all different. 

Now to your problem in general terms, I take it you have had it in at the garage for this on more than one occasion, I am assuming that they are competent and any mech worth there salt will know there way around a cooling system, so that said they have tested and replaced the thermostat and checked the water pump is working OK. The drive belts are good and turning the pump. That leaves the circulation system. There are no obvious leaks but you may not be sure if you are losing water. Check the exhaust for white smoke/steam, if none then good. Check the oil filler cap for mayonnaise, if none good.

Check the radiator is clean, no dirt mud or other debris blocking the radiator or vanes. Does the radiator look in good condition if poor maybe it can no longer circulate the water to cool it. 

The system if it has not been done already should be bled empty and flushed see if you get a could clean return of water. I would then suggest to download the  free electronic service manual from our ‘how to’ section and check the quantity of coolant required and make sure it is filled correctly and you get the required volume in the system.

timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 4:35pm
I see the thread got moved but not dumped, just as well with the length of the replyBig smile
Any news Craig if you have found your threadWink
craigoneil View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craigoneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 2:52pm
hi all just found my thread there  my cars working good now think there was shit in the cooling system as they cleared the cooling system  a number of time after that the fans where working right  think there still a wee problem as the rad looks a bit damaged  as the grills beein dented on few parts of it   .but now ive got an exhaust  problem been told it catalyti converter  has a lot of shit in it cause  there person  before me had a cylinder head  blown on it  so the exhaust full of the old oil and stuff   if any one nos how to fix this with spending much would be great 
 Post Reply Post Reply