Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11 flicking oil light

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P11 flicking oil light
    Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 2:31pm
Confused Hi iv just picked up a primera gt 2.0 0n a 99 reg iv had it for about a week. The other day i checked the dip stick and the it needed a little top up so i put half a lt in . the next day i started the car up ran it arount and after half an hour the oil light flicked on at 750 rpm at stationery traffic but as soon as i put my food down it flicked off. Its done the same since but only on tick over am confused. The car has a 123k on it had one owner from new and serviced every 7k and iv seen the invoices and stamps in service book to prove it. i know its now over due a service by 2k but could that cause the problem.
some one help please.
Geordie View Drop Down
NPOC Member
NPOC Member
Not in Estate

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geordie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 2:32pm
Oil pressure switch maybe?
Car of the Month April 2010 (Black GT)
Car of the Month August 2012 (Red Wagon)
"You are a one man, used car industry, improvement system!!" - Tom (12/12/16)
Current: 1991 P10 2 litre GS
dyp View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member
Schwarzenegger!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 2:34pm
Faulty oil pressure switch ?
twelve View Drop Down
NPOC Legend Elite
NPOC Legend Elite
Top Tosser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twelve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 2:35pm
Hi Martyn, welcome to NPOC. I've added the words Nissan Primera P11 to your thread title as per our rules:
http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/forum-guidelines-rules_topic2.html?FID=1&PR=3

Please keep on top of that.

I'm not 100% sure on this but as it only happens when the revs are low it could be your oil pump or the belt that drives it. Replace the belt first as it's quick and fairly easy.
gt82 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 2:41pm
are the pressure switch a big job and expensive. There is no strange noise from the engine when its warm just taps a little until it gets to running temp. will a oil and filter cheange help and if so is castrol 10/40 ok to use
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 6:44pm
A pressure switch is easy to change,should take u no more than 10 mins at most,but u must get the car on a ramp/stands to access it as it at the back of the engine near the bottom,i think your oil could be low still,when mine was low due to a bad leak,i was getting a light tapping sound,top up oil,sorted.  
 Post Reply Post Reply