Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nissan Primera P12 2.2 DCi Engine management light
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 2.2 DCi Engine management light

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eggman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 2.2 DCi Engine management light
    Posted: 10 May 2012 at 1:41pm
Hi, new forum member, hope someone can help or give advice!

Bought a 54 reg 2.2 dCi estate a couple of weeks ago the engine management light has been on since we got it (dealer told us because battery had died). The message on the screen in the console says it's due it's service so we had it serviced and MOTd by our usual garage (not Nissan BTW) who did the usual oil, tyres, filters etc and returned it to us.

The light is still on. Confused

The message is the same. Confused

Has the garage just failed to switch this off? Is there something else behind the light perhaps? Is there anything I can do to switch the thing off??

It's a really nice car, drives smoothly, no power loss,  no nasty noises, smells, clouds of black smoke etc! It's done 64,000 miles and has been serviced by Nissan dealerships (last one at 60k last year) so has definitely been looked after.

We're driving from Manchester to Inverness then round Scotland in the next couple of weeks, so although I think I'm probably worrying over nothing a little peace of mind from someone with greater Nissan Primera knowledge than mine (wouldn't be hard I have to admit).

Thanks in advance!
eggman View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eggman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 1:52pm
Also, anyone know where I can buy either a new luggage cover or just the wee bits that hold it closed??

Ta!
apas91 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apas91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 1:59pm

P12 Service light reset Etc

SELF DIAGNOSIS and CONFIRMATION/ADJUSTMENT MODE
1. START ENGINE.
2. TURN AUDIO SYSTEM OFF.
3. WHILE PRESSING THE INFO SWITCH,TURN THE VOL CONTROL 30 CLICKS OR MORE (dosen't matter which way).
When self diag and conf/adj mode is started a short "beep" will be heard.
Select CONFIRM/ADJUSTMENT.
Select SERVICE.
You should be able to reset and make any adjustments on the screen displayed.
If you need to go back a screen at any stage, use the "PREV" button.

source
http://forum.eserviceinfo.com/viewtopic.php?t=6126
eggman View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eggman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 2:22pm
Thanks very much apas, I'll give that a spin this evening and report back!
wickydude View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 3:50pm
Hi and welcome to the forum.
While the info apas gave will let you reset the service info screen, it will not switch off the EML. You need to get the code read from the OBD system. You gan get any garage to do that, or you can try yourself using the info in the how-to section.
http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/p12-all-engines-read-reset-ecu-fuel-pump_topic54932.html

When the light starts flashing, it gives a four digit code, like 2 flashes, pause, 2 flashes, pause, 3 flashes, pause 4 flashes is code 2234.
The code can be used to determine what the error is using the ESM downloadable from the forum here section EC iirc

Ex: Primera P12 1.9dCi Estate<b
eggman View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eggman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 9:28pm
Thanks again, have followed the instructions given on your links but didn't manage to switch off either the light on the dash or the annoying message on the screen..the "Service now due" message has gone, now it just says there's a engine fault.

I think I managed to get the error code though - 1261 seemed to be what was flashing at me over and over again. Tried searching for that but reckon it's just the page number I keep coming up with.

Sorry to pester but does that code exist? Am I just driving myself mental?
wickydude View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 9:55pm
Code 1261 means fuel injector 1 resistor high according to the ESM Section EC-563.
You may have a connector faulty or an injector. Which are not cheap

eggman View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eggman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 10:17pm
Mm, not good. Good advice of course but not good news...

How much do you reckon then? We just spent out on 4 new tyres an MOT and service and could do without it being very expensive.

Mrs is on maternity leave and about to drop into statutory pay then nipper no. 2 starts nursery, all not cheap! Arg!

Also, what do you reckon of a 1,000+ mile road trip in the next couple of weeks? Am I going to make it worse?

Been checking a few other threads and things like MPG etc seem on the ball.

Thanks agin, I am a car mechanics imbecile as you can tell.
wickydude View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 6:07am
I'm not a mechanic either, mate, sorry.
Also there may be other reasons for such a fault. Like a frayed earth strap from battery to engine and chassis, that can cause problems, too.
Might be best to let a good mechanic take a look and do a diagnostic. A bit strange that you had the car checked and got it back with the EML on. If it were me I would take it back and ask them to fix it.

eggman View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eggman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 11:29am
Mechanic asked us to take it back in on Monday morning and he'll do some diagnostic tests.

He reckoned not injectors as car would be "lumpy" and not drive well and have a major loss of power, thinks it may have been a problem that was fixed in the past and the light never shut off.

Will see on Monday. Fingers crossed.

Thanks again for your help!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>