Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11 wipers park position fault

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasmoran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2012 at 11:35am
Hi,
Just for information for anyone else who encounters this problem:
I opened up the park position mechanism on the old motor and I think I found what went wrong, which was not as simple as it getting gunged up with dirt or grease.
There are three contacts touching a metal disk: two of them make a continuous circuit when the wiper switch is on; the third keeps the motor running after the switch has been turned off, until the contact hits a gap in the disk which coincides with the wiper park position.
The problem lay with this third contact. I don't know what a new one is supposed to look like, but the one is this motor had a pointed tip, roughened on the underside as if with sandpaper, which had made a grooved, pitted track on the surface of the disk.
I think what happened was that wear and tear to both the contact and the disk had reduced the conductivity between them, causing sparking, overheating, and more rapid deterioration, until there was no enough current getting through to park the wipers.
When I smoothed this rough area a bit and reshaped the contact so that an undamaged part of it touched the disk, the motor worked properly again.
Cheers,
chasmoran
FinPrimera View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinPrimera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 6:11pm
Thank you for excellent forum guys and gals. It's been long time of last post, but for those who still have the privilege owning P11, here's my recent findings. I dont know how to post pictures and I'm not willing to learn, so this may take a while:
- Yeasterday I took my SRi to car wash and somewhere during that wash front wipers were repositioned like 10 cm up from their parking position.
- It started burning wiper motors fuse. If they worked, they were wiping fine until you flipped them off and autopark leaves them that 10 cm too high. Next time the wipers would go first downwards to their proper autopark position and then fuse blows. Little wiggling those wiper blade with hand and new fuse and it MIGHT work some time. Theres no factory refurbished nor aftermarket wiper motors out there in Finland but luckily, it's easter, and every breaker yard is closed. So there is nobody hearing your scream.
- Read NPOC forum and found out some courage to check that motor.
- Previous owner seems to have had some issues with wipers motor, because those worm gear case rivets are gone and nice philips head screws instead.
- Inside that worm gear case I found that those two contact poles in middle were ok and same goes with their circular contact surface.
- That third contact sitting alone in outer edge was bent, had lost its shaped head and had screw holding it at case cover. Outer edge of circular gear had deep scratches and that plastic part of gear had deep hole where plastic meets metal and some detoriation in metal probably caused by sparks.
- Cleaning and bending that third contact does nothing, circular gear is too far gone. Unless I can find some plastic filling to fill that pit.
- So I removed that outer edge contact and now using wipers does not burn fuse anymore. Wiper autopark does not work at all but hey you can drive when raining and you can drive with your wipers held vertical position like real race cars do.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12