Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 Idle Issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheekygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 Idle Issue
    Posted: 21 Nov 2012 at 9:03am
Hi

I am new to this but would welcome some advice.

I have a Nissan Primera 2.2dci (2004). For the past 6 months have had the typical idle hunting and loss of power (intermittant limp mode) problems as people say linked to suction control valve (scv).

Throughtout the summer not been too much of a problem turn car off and re-start all back to normal, as the weather has got colder starting her in the mornings has become harder so thought really must get scv changed.

Well last Thursday went to start her and all she would do was turn over (not firing) everything else all ok. Towed her in to a local garage (not nissan dealer but owner worked for nissan for many years). They have done diognostics and say I need new fuel pump....they are going to get back to me with price today...I can't get my head around this as have done extensive research and everyones saying the same 9 times out of 10 its the scv....am I the 1 out of 10 where it is the fuel pump....How can I check if the scv if working???

Hope someone can help
plymPRIM97 View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plymPRIM97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2012 at 9:25am
On the "SORTED" thread at the top of page 5 is a link posted by timeshock regarding resetting the fuel pump I think.  I don't have the time to go through it but that at first glance might be cheaper than a replacement.  Have you clicked on that?
cheekygirl View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheekygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2012 at 9:44am
Thanks for the advice. Have printed off instructions and will try.
Stevie-Boy View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Legend Elite

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie-Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2012 at 10:16am
Hi and a big welcome to NPOC

I have edited your thread title and made sure it starts with "Nissan Primera P12.. (with further description)" - Please keep on top of that (it is explained in our forum rules):

http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/forum-guidelines-rules_topic2&FID=1&PR=3.html

Point 2)

Many thanks and take care,
Steve
2023 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Member of the Month: Jan 2014
ex P11 Si, P11 GT, P11-144 Sport+, P11 GT Turbo, P11-144 Wagon, Subaru Legacy B4 RSK, 350z, Type R
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheekygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2012 at 11:57am
Sorry for wrong title.

Bad newsCry garage quoted £1700 for new fuel pump....they said there was no output fuel pressure, they also said they had checked the suction control valve and that was ok. (dont know what kind of checks can be done???).

Oh what to do now......ConfusedConfusedConfusedConfused
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plymPRIM97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2012 at 12:10pm
what do you make of the link I referred to?  What part of the world are you in - you never know there may be a willing helper nearby who understands this stuff
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheekygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2012 at 12:18pm
Thanks

Have printed off info but car is stuck in garage at the moment, located in north cambridgeshire so not alot of choice here. have spoke to a few people I know who have a bit of knowhow about cars but they have never come across this problem. Am worried if I take car away from garage where else to go...local nissan dealer wants to go through all the diagnostics again!!!
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2012 at 6:11pm
Not the type of news anybody wants to here that.
It has to be very rare that we hear anybody suffering from fuel pump failure and therefore it is far greater that 9 out of 10 peeps who just have to replace the SCV.
It seems to me that 1700 for a fuelpump is not an economical repair and your options are to try a SCV repair or obtain a second pump.
I know your garage mech says he worked for Nissan for may years i would question doing what? in the factory or a full on Nissan technician. The number of times the main dealer says it is the pump and knows nothing of the scv fix is almost beyond count on here.
I can not say what the exact test is for SCV failure is but it obviously has something to do with fuel supply.
Personally if i was in your position I would buy the SCVs and fit them or have them fitted. If that did not do the trick source a second hand pump and have that fitted. Then I would either have the new SVCs fitted to the pump or join here and sell them on to the next person who has this problem which would not be longThumbs Up
I would probabally want to get the car out of there to someone recomended
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheekygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2012 at 7:56pm
My partner has been in th chat with mechie who said they put a dummy scv on and it didnt make any difference. They are 100% sure its the pump and have said if it doest work we wont have to pay any moreand we can have a courtsey car untill its fixed....
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plymPRIM97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2012 at 8:00pm
at £1700 do you get a courtsey car or a 50% share in the garage?  I agree with timeshock - get it out of there.
 Post Reply Post Reply