Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 - Replacement Engine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old_member Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 - Replacement Engine
    Posted: 12 Dec 2012 at 9:41pm
Hi Guys.

The part of the engine decided it wanted to see the world and kindly took a trip out of the bottom of my engine tonight (rather ironically as I passed a Cemetery and I wonder if that is a message in itself). The breakdown cover got it to a a garage who I will ask to look at it tomorrow.  But I am fearing the worst.

In the last year I have had to spend £1600 on a gearbox, £1000 on a turbo, £250 on a starter motor and now the engine has a hole in it. Part of me says this car should be scrapped.

Before I decide. Can someone give me an idea of how much a replacement engine for a 2004 2.2Dci 6-speed manual would cost me. Is it a viable option or am I just going to be throwing money down the drain?

I love this car, I really do. But it has cost me more than I paid for it originally now and the engine... well just figures two weeks before christmas really.

I would love advice, thoughts, options... offers of a new engine... etc etc.

Thankfully my wife's little R-reg Micra has been off the road sorn in the garage for a year as we could not afford to run two cars so I am going to have to rush to get it Mot'd, taxed, and valeted and back on the road to give us transport of some sort - even if it is basic and frankly a sh*t heap.

Thanks guys.
Max
plymPRIM97 View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plymPRIM97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2012 at 9:56pm
Firstly you may wish to cash in the tax on the P12.

What I would ask myself is how much was the car worth before the engine presented you with this problem.  

I guess you can do some research about the cost of a replacement.  There are a number of members close to you so hopefully they may know of some good garages or contacts.
old_member View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old_member Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2012 at 10:32pm
HI.

1) I am going to grab it tomorrow. I am expecting the worst in truth and there are a few other bits I need to get out of the car too which I left tonight as I had no ability to carry them home easily.

2) Given the amount spend on it, I am almost at the end of what I will spend now. The car is a dream, it is the best car I have ever owned but I cannot keep throwing money I do not have at it.

3) Have looked but cannot see prices for them so far. Hence I wanted to ask in case someone had an idea of cost. I would rather go to the garage with my eyes open than with no ideas.

Max
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2012 at 10:34pm
I have recently (within the last couple of days) seen one for sale on a popular site for £400 then there is taking out the old and taking off the ancillaries  and re-fitting
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plymPRIM97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2012 at 10:36pm
In terms of its value prior to the incident I thougt you might be able to look at what you paid for it, look at ebay and then make an assessment.  Knowing that wil surely influence how much you can afford to pay.  The mileage helps assess the value and there are online guides.
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old_member Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2012 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by timeshock! timeshock! wrote:

I have recently (within the last couple of days) seen one for sale on a popular site for £400 then there is taking out the old and taking off the ancillaries  and re-fitting

If it that sort of price, I may be able to justify it. I was expecting more double or triple that for some reason (expecting the worst I guess). Are you able to tell me (or message) me which popular site you saw it on?

Max
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old_member Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2012 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by plymPRIM97 plymPRIM97 wrote:

In terms of its value prior to the incident I thougt you might be able to look at what you paid for it, look at ebay and then make an assessment.  Knowing that wil surely influence how much you can afford to pay.  The mileage helps assess the value and there are online guides.

Let's put it this way: I spent £2500 on it in September 2011, I drove it for 2 months - had a seizure and lost my licence for 6 months - April/May I got the car MOT'd and it needed the gearbox reconditioning at £1600. 2 months later the turbo blew at £1000. About 7 weeks ago the starter motor seized , £250. So I have already spent out more on repairs than I did on the car....

I am almost at the end of what  I can afford to spend. As much as I love that car, my wife is going to go mental if I keep spending and paying out money we do not have to keep it on the road...

Max
mariocinq View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mariocinq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2012 at 11:01pm
£1600 on getting the gearbox reconditioned??????? why????? had it actually broke.

Anyway back to the engine, i would say you are riding a fine line here as to weather its worth it or not, IF you do get another engine, to make it justifyable you need to be expecting to keep it for 2 year to recover some expence back on it, but there again will you keep it for this long or indeed will it last this long??? there are alot of factors to consider when looking at something like this. we can only guild you and help you learn the info you need to make said dession.

personally i would scrap it and cut my loses but i dont know what the condition of the rest of the car is like.
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plymPRIM97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2012 at 11:02pm
Really sorry to hear about your health problems. 

I just don't think you can make a decision about repair or scrap without knowing the car's value.   I know you've spent money on this that and the other but that's got very little to do with anything when it comes to potentially selling and establishing the car's value.

Try looking on ebay or Parker's Guide (asks about condition and mileage) to see what it would be worth with a working engine then you might have some kind of starting point. 

It does seem that you might be due a change - P11s are very reliable but you need to shop carefully for what you want.   Good luck and tell us what you decide
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old_member Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2012 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by mariocinq mariocinq wrote:

£1600 on getting the gearbox reconditioned??????? why????? had it actually broke.[QUOTE]

Yes I had no reverse gear in the end, it jumped out the moment you tried to move the car. The gear was apparently nearly stripped and in danger of breaking and destroying the rest of the box. So sadly yes it did need doing.

[QUOTE=mariocinq]Anyway back to the engine, i would say you are riding a fine line here as to weather its worth it or not, IF you do get another engine, to make it justifyable you need to be expecting to keep it for 2 year to recover some expence back on it, but there again will you keep it for this long or indeed will it last this long??? there are alot of factors to consider when looking at something like this. we can only guild you and help you learn the info you need to make said decision.

personally i would scrap it and cut my loses but i dont know what the condition of the rest of the car is like.

This is part of where I am now thinking... If I sold it for scrap or as a dead car on Ebay or similar I would at least get SOMETHING for it. The bodywork is good, it passed it's MOT with just 2 tyres needed (the gearbox was separate obviously) and the car is an SE with Satnav and Cruise Control options fitted so the spec is good in that sense as well. Worst case I put it on Ebay with a reserve if it doesn't sell then I may save the money up and fix it and that may be what decides it...

If I do scrap it I will not get another Nissan sadly. While I love this car, I am not going to risk it again and will end up going back to Vauxhall or Renault I suspect. I will chew this over a bit tomorrow and see.

Thanks guys
Max
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>