Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nissan Primera P11 GT SR20DE --> SR20VE Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11 GT SR20DE --> SR20VE Questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blaze_01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P11 GT SR20DE --> SR20VE Questions
    Posted: 13 Apr 2014 at 5:00am
Hello.
i hope this thread gets some attention.
I need information about this swap.

If you dont want to read my mind, the questions in this text is colored blue.

So, the worst thing that happends, are when your P11 GT engine is
starting to worn and you can feel power loss.

My current engine is bleeding inside. and the car smokes more and more every few months.
The engine is actually in "good" condition tho.
It still performs really great and have never failed me. NEVER.....  NEVER!

Sometimes when i drive, just at a totally random moments, my car just feel much stronger than in years, it gives a real nice boost after 4k rpm and really put out some. It feels great.
But usually it feel like i lost alot of power and it generally isnt as great as it used to be.

well its still powerful after 4k rpm, but often its just "slow", that i cant feel its drag as good as i used to. its like its slightly resisting. Been like that for 2-3 years and getting worse.

I dont know if this is a problem i could look deeper into and fix, but right now, its not
the powerloss that  bothers me but more the fact it has been doing a good job for too long,
and that i dont know if i could trust the engine on a long road trip really.
It probably wouldnt fail me, i just got too much faith in these engines to belive it would,
but still, i should be careful on driving far far away from home.

I decided to (some day in the future) put a VE Neo VVL in my primera p11
to replace todays 220k SR20DE, which by then probably will have over 300k lol.
I might do it soon tho, not sure yet, about if i would get it street legal here.

I could lie to them, and dont tell them about the engine swap,
and just say i have tuned the car, and since its older than 10 years, i wont have to
pay taxes on the aditional horsepowers.. rules over here.

"THEM" reffering to Goverment owned wannabe police for ruining any fun when it comes to
having cars, modifying them, etc etc. Very very very strict. So i will have to show my car.

And if they would find the rocker cover suspicious because of the "NEO VVL",
i guess i could just fit the DE cover, i guess it will fit?

However, if everything is okay to get it street legal over here, i would defo get one.

So, it should be just straight forward swapping the engine.

The NEO VVL would most likely have everything.
Transmission
Clutch
Intake
And Exhaust manifold.

The VE and DE is the same engines with different heads if im right?
so that means that my existing exhaust frontpipe will fit
the SRVE manifold? or my SRDE manifold will mount
right on the SRVE? my CV axles on my current gear box will fit the gearbox on the VE?

So the only thing to worry about is the ECU which i also will get my hands on.
So when i have the ECU, after the engine is in, is it just as simple as plugging the new ECU to the socket and then im ready?

Will i have to wire and customize anything? i remember i heard about that somewhere..

Oh, and yeah, since its a 40hp increase, wouldnt i have to get a different exhaust system?

Right now im using stock which is around 2  -  2.25 inches inlet is that right ?
(P11 GT 97. 150hp/110kw)

I remember to read somewhere that 2.25 was minimum for 150Hp so at least 2.5 inches for the 190hp.

Could i still use my existing exhaust? how would it impact my performance and engine?

Anything else i should know about,

And are this engine by a chance Tüv Approved?
Im afraid that if it isnt, i wont get it road legal, but still thinking about
that rocker cover trick, and lie about the existing engine are tuned.

But i also think the engine might be tuv approved because ive heard different
cars in EU runs with these engines originally.
Thing is, the VE comes straight off a primera, so they cant complain when it still in a primera lol.
Question is, if the PRIMERA in EU have to be approved holding a VE, since VE was only in Japanese and Australian primeras?

So is it bolt on for me?

Put the engine in, connect all the cables and hoses, fit my current exhaust to the VE
manifold, fit the CV axles, plug the new ECU, then start engine?
TheStigP11GT View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheStigP11GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2014 at 9:29am
A de rocker cover will not fit, inside wont clear the cams. The engine codes are the same format so they wont care as long as you send the code to dvla, they wont care about the neovvl badge to be fair.

They are not tuv approved,

The de gearbox ect will directly bolt on. Same as drve shafts, manifolds will require minor modification.

Dont use the ve ecu, use a de one with nistune. It does mean a remap. The ve ecu has different pins plus designed for a tiptronic setup. You would also need something to manage cam switching such as a couple of msd switches.

exhaust you will need a minimum 2.25 inc.
---Current Cars---
Primera GT - SR20VE.N1 / Qashqai 1.5 N-Tec K9K / Pulsar 1.5 N-Tec K9K
http://www.neovvl.com
rowdy-gti View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowdy-gti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2014 at 2:45pm
211hp here with a 2.25". A quality build makes more difference than diameter.
Almera GTi Track Car: 8200rpm DE 191.8whp 211hp @ fly 156lbs torque 1/4 Mile 13.83 @ 101.75. 974kg without driver.....
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheStigP11GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2014 at 3:29pm
Yeah but what Dyno? and is it drivable?

You can't always go on figures from Dynoes as most of them are all bullshit. I remember 210BHP from the engine from Al's old VE unmapped and it drove like shit. When we got the engine mapped properly it done 180BHP.

You also got to think as well, that a VE build are generally all OEM parts. Over 200BHP on Nissan cams and so on. a DE requires many aftermarket cams and so on to reach the same number.

Also the VE at that power will exceed the DE on fuel economy, a DE with over 200 will probably idle like shit, but make more power and require a Fuel Refinery to go with it.

All about Practicality.
---Current Cars---
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheStigP11GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2014 at 3:39pm
Oh and just to add, our brand new N1 build stroked to a 2.0 Litre idles perfect, and only too 1/2 tank from Edinburgh to Durham and Back. That included some 8200RPM Wagon Overtakes.....Unmapped! And that exceeds the 200BHP mark, as it has a lot more power than a stock SR20VE with N1 cams.
---Current Cars---
Japsniper View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Japsniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2014 at 5:51pm
different ways to do things like chris says its the end result that your happy with that counts

my ve has a gtir ecu with N1 cams idles super, dyno graph looks like a rocket as gone straight to the moon LOL only curves off cos its oem valves and springs so they darn`t take it any higher (not that it would go much higher ffs) 

maxed at 8300 rpm

that is one of my cam switchers in the car 
blaze_01 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blaze_01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 2:32pm
So i cant use either the VE ecu or my current DE ecu and get the 190hp?
so i really need to get a remapped ecu? there is no other way to do it?
sounds like a hassele for me. i have nowhere to get any remap. was thinking of buying off ebay.
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 2:52pm
You can use the De ECU.It needs to be remapped.If left unmapped the fueling is way off after the VE cam's switch iirc

Japsniper View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Japsniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 3:04pm
unfortunately its a pain in the butt 

but this is where a lot of peeps go wrong 

they think that by putting plug n play mods on ie big exhaust,bigger cams bigger throttle body air filter etc then thats it 

well it some cases it maybe or they think so when adding more air n fuel you need an ecu that can be mapped the prim in oem form can not be 

this is why you need a nistune on your oem de ecu or to change the ecu like i have 

now my import vvl cvt m6 did not have the the alarm system on like the british prims hence it was easy to change my euc to a gtir one then nistune it 

stick with the de add all your mods then add the type 3/4 nistune to your oem ecu this way you will get max performance from your car 

whether you get 190 bhp is a good question but at least you will know your car is in tip top form Thumbs Up 
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheStigP11GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 3:45pm
I feel that just adding mods to your DE would be a better option for you. A VE Swap is easy, but it does not come cheap.
---Current Cars---
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>