Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 Bad Smell when starting A/C

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yannlieb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 Bad Smell when starting A/C
    Posted: 10 Jun 2014 at 9:53pm
Hi Everyone,

I don't know how to retrieve my previous message which has been dumped, so I'll get straight to the point.

My A/C smells bad when I turn it on. The car went to maintenance last year, they have disinfected (or whatever) it.

I have never sen any condensate water flow out of the car, so I imagine there might be a clogged drain somewhere which prevent condensate water to get out. I haven't found the solution in the FSM, so if anyone could help me find this pipe, or where could this water should get out of the car,  I could check it.

Thanks !
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2014 at 10:34pm
When was the pollen filter last changed?
Yannlieb View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yannlieb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2014 at 9:00am
It was changed last year.

I bought the car 1 year and a half ago, and I brought it a couple of months later to a Nissan Dealer so that they could perform a check on the vehicle and do the planned maintenance.

few months after this maintenance, I opened the glovebox in order to check if they really changed the cabin filter, as the smell came back.

NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2014 at 4:41pm
As far as I am aware this is a fully sealed system so water on the ground is  condensation coming off the expansion vessel/pipes.
Yannlieb View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yannlieb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2014 at 8:35pm
Yeah, the thing is that I don't have any water on the ground, never. I therefore suspect that condensation water does not get out of the circuit, and maybe that's what is creating this bad smell. But I don't know where are the pipes that should expel the condensation water in order to check they aren't clogged.
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2014 at 10:22pm
What I am saying is there are no pipes so maybe the condensate is lying stuck on the under tray.
Do you get the odour without the aircon on and just the blower on?
Yannlieb View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yannlieb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2014 at 11:06am
Not really, although when switching from A/C to standard and vice-versa, I have this bad smell.

I'm not an expert, but I don't understand how the system is working without having condensate water getting out of the car. My fridge is expelling water, my home A/C is also, I am expecting my car would do the same ? Confused
Bakerman View Drop Down
NPOC Member
NPOC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bakerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2014 at 8:43pm
With my P12(18) this rubber pipe is somewhat located under and behind the automatic gearbox, IIRC.
While looking for it last year it found it a bit too short because the condensate water was always leaking on some metal parts. So I extended the pipe a bit. Maybe this pipe is clogged on your P12?
I know we had problems some years ago with condensate water that was leaking out of the AC unit in our vacation house in Spain. Turned out to be a wasp that made the pipe its home.

Hope this helps.

wickydude View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2014 at 9:58pm
There is a drain hose, which on a lhd car is on the lower left rear of the heater/cooler unit (inside the car) but i could not find where it ends exactly. What bakerman says sounds about right. Probably straight through the bulkhead to inside of engine bay.

Ex: Primera P12 1.9dCi Estate<b
Yannlieb View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yannlieb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 10:47am
Thank you guys for the tip.

I will have a look near to the CVT box to try to find this pipe and keep you posted.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>