Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11 Starter motor removal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote girty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2015 at 10:18pm
p.s. If you need, i can make short video showing how you can take it appart and put it back together. Just ask, I have the old one lying around in garage.
d60_tag View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d60_tag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 8:43pm
Thumbs Up Thanks alot Girty! I really appreciate the help but do not give yourself too much trouble, i.e the offer of the video but if you are inspired to make a short film then that would be very fantastic!! Beer
girty View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote girty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2015 at 8:06pm
Tomorrow I will make the video and upload it. Hope it won't be too late. :) 
nachzehn View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nachzehn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 11:41am
Did you post the video?
d60_tag View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d60_tag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 8:34pm
^^ Never saw Girty's video, don't think he posted it but was quite easy to get S.M off, despite some of the horror stories that seem to have affected people. Was 2 bolts, not so hard but had to carefully work it out.
Ended up replacing mine rather than inspecting/ fixing/ rebuilding for what they cost with an ex. Almera one, virtually the same but the solenoid sits abit higher but wires still reach with abit of helping.  Works brilliant now- also maybe when replacing try to lube up replacement with some sort of method / spray as they dry out at times and stick possibly - as the old one on mine was.
Starts like a champ now!  Thumbs Up
nachzehn View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nachzehn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 9:03pm
Good news, and thanks for letting me know. I got a good deal on a new one, so was planning to fit it this weekend. What about the bar that holds the intake manifold? Is it necessary to remove before removing the starter motor? Planning to put the front of the car on ramps, to get access. Is that the best way to do it, as opposed to access from under the bonnet? And sorry last question. Is there sufficient access to remove the bolts with a socket, or better to use a spanner? Thanks again.
d60_tag View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d60_tag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 9:36pm
Yes forgot to mention the intake manifold bar- yes remove it, is 2 bolts also fairly easy, think they are both 12mm.
First... from above , unscrew top starter bolt, is the same bolt that has the EARTH LEAD.
Then... from below with the car on ramps(that is how I did it) unscrew bottom starter mounting bolt/ fairly easy to see.
Then ... from below also- unbolt the intake manifold bar, can easily see the two mounting bolts from below.
Then ... unsrew Solenoid connections/ bolts, think these are 10mm.

On refitting, clean/ sand slightly the solenoid connections, also the earth lead that the starter bolts from the top to the engine.
Its's not so bad but possibly certain variants of the Primera may have been worse depending on model.
Mine is a 1.6 Traveller/ estate 1999.

BTW- maybe combination of sockets and spanners- think I did most of mine with 1/2" sockets but space was not great. If necessary then use spanners if space seems too tight.

d60_tag View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d60_tag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 9:40pm
edits : -
Yes forgot to mention the intake manifold bar- yes remove it, is 2 bolts also fairly easy, think they are both 12mm.
First... from above , unscrew top starter bolt, is the same bolt that has the EARTH LEAD.
Then... from below with the car on ramps(that is how I did it) unscrew bottom starter mounting bolt/ fairly easy to see.
Then ... from below also- unbolt the intake manifold bar, can easily see the two mounting bolts from below.
Then ... unsrew Solenoid connections/ bolts, think these are 10mm.
REMOVE THE STARTER FROM BELOW. CAN MANOUVRE IT OUT

On refitting, clean/ sand slightly the solenoid connections, also the earth lead that the starter bolts from the top to the engine. Then maybe a little white/  grease for future proection on the contact points.
It's not so bad removing it but possibly certain variants of the Primera may have been worse / harder depending on model. Heard the SR20 was a pig to remove ? Anyway... mine is a 1.6 Traveller/ estate 1999.

BTW- maybe use combination of sockets and spanners- think I did most of mine with 1/2" sockets but space was not great. If necessary then use spanners if space seems too tight.

[/QUOTE]
nachzehn View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nachzehn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 10:08pm
Awesome detail! Thank you!
**See Admin** View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote **See Admin** Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2016 at 10:09am
Bitch of a job. I had mine replaced by my local breakers, on a cold Nov night with a plastic cup and a light bulb to work off. I learned some new swear words in Indian that evening. Not a job I'd like to do again
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>