Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 - Handbrake not great

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noddydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 - Handbrake not great
    Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 6:04pm
I’ve owned my 1.8 Flare for a couple of weeks now. I’ve noticed the handbrake isn’t great at traffic lights on inclines or parking on hills. I have to pull it on really tight, which can’t be good for the cable. At 5 clicks I can still make the car move a cm or so if I through my weight against the seat on an incline. Not exactly the best method for testing it, but nonetheless iI wouldn’t expect it to budge at all. So is this normal?

Most of my other cars had drums on the back and I’ve never encountered this problem with them.
Noddydog View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noddydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 6:10pm
Spotted some typos in my last post. How do you edit posts on here?
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 6:42pm
Rear wheels should drag on just one click of the handbrake,3 or more and it should be enough to hold the car,try adjusting the handbrake but you'll likely find it's the rear calipers that are in poor condition.
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 10:15pm
Agreed about the calipers, you could try greasing the sliders, although that is sometimes a short term fix.

You do not have edit rights as a guest
Noddydog View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noddydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2018 at 9:59am
Thx for the feedback and advice. If I take it into a garage to get it done, what sort of ballpark cost should I expect?
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2018 at 10:58am
If it requires one replacement caliper £80.00 +vat, considerably less is they can free it off, ask yourself what else may need doing, what is the condition of the pads and disc? That price was from my car at a small indy garage
Noddydog View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noddydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2018 at 8:19pm
Thanks. Not really sure what condition the pads and discs are in. Certainly the discs look ok through the gaps in the wheels.

The car has only done 36,000 (2006 1.8 flare model) with a full Nissan service history. In fact the one and only former owner (who I never met) had a full service carried out less than two month ago and put on 4 new tyres. Since 2011 the car has only covered 2-3K a year and given how clean and well kept it is, I imagine they were retired.

So I suspect the car has sat in a garage with occasional use for most of it’s life. The only other thing I can tell you about the brakes is they’ve never appeared as an advisory (nothing but window wipers have) and there is a creaking noise at the rear when you enter the car and it is parked on a hill.
roy.2 View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote roy.2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 12:33am
As a safety measure, I would leave your car in gear when parked, until you sort out the parking brake situation. Thumbs Up
Roy
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by roy.2 roy.2 wrote:

As a safety measure, I would leave your car in gear when parked, until you sort out the parking brake situation. Thumbs Up
I would always advocate parking in gear no matter what Estate the handbrake is in
pianoprimeratwo View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pianoprimeratwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 5:53pm
Yes, I'm on with this job next. To be honest mine's never failed MOT on this, and it's always been a problem for the 12 years I've had it. I greased the sliders last year and keep all other mechanisms well lubed with WD40 2 or 3 times a year. Pads and discs are excellent condition, so I'll probably order a couple of calipers. I did lengthen the travel on the handbrake slightly the other day as it was insanely low with hardly any travel at all. It does trouble me slightly just how rare these cars are now in Britain and future availability of parts, so maybe a good idea to stock up on bits and pieces. Why do I want to keep it? Had it 12 years. Had to part with my Frontera a few years back I'd had nearly 18 years - just too much hard work and constant rot; but this Primera is holding up just great. When I get too old to do my own work I guess it will be new Toyota Yaris time!! Dead
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>